Sign in to follow this  
robf

Monday's "live" classic Port Vale game is...

...the FA Cup replay at Derby County's Baseball Ground in 1990. After a 1-1 draw at Vale Park can John Rudge's Port Vale side including the likes of Grew, Mills, Hughes, Aspin, Earle, Beckford and Cross defeat a Derby side boasting Peter Shilton, Mark Wright and Dean Saunders?

I am personally very excited by this one as it wasn't on TV apart from brief news clips of the goals so I don't think the whole game has ever been shown.

The commentary is from Derby County but I think they are pretty fair minded throughout.

The clip is having its final checks to make sure the audio is OK and when that is finished a link will appear on here so you can set a reminder to watch at 7.30pm on Monday. I hope to see lots of you on Monday evening 😃

I'm also pleased to announce that thanks to @RailwayRowdy (who is very kindly sending me a couple of his VHS tapes)  I will soon have a couple more full games to show on the following Monday nights too.

Thanks,

Rob

I've been the baseball ground once. It was part of a school trip we played a team from derby then unfortunately had to watch derby vs stoke after . Derby won but cant remember the score was around 1994 may have been 3 nil derby. 

Regarding this game I have no idea of the result without looking it up as it was around 1993 when I started going vale games. I will still watch it though as it's better than watching coronation street and eastenders. 

Probably the most exciting game I’ve been to.Stunning first half by our lads.Hanging on in the second.Massive Vale following.

Derby 2-3 Vale,AP.

20 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Probably the most exciting game I’ve been to.Stunning first half by our lads.Hanging on in the second.Massive Vale following.

Derby 2-3 Vale,AP.

That should have said stunning second half by our lads .Hung  on.Memory slip.

Excellent game. I was there for that and the tension was awful towards the end but another magnificent effort from PVFC.

Looking forward to it, Rob. Good choice.

12 hours ago, Frank Mustard said:

Hopefully kick off won't be delayed on Monday night due to the emergency stop cord being pulled on the train carrying Vale fans!

I remember a bit of congestion getting onto the terraces.They had to open up another section for us.

Is this the one where Hughes ran the length of the pitch for one of the goals, and their full back had to keep changing the angle of his run against him because Hughes was so quick? 

14 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

Is this the one where Hughes ran the length of the pitch for one of the goals, and their full back had to keep changing the angle of his run against him because Hughes was so quick? 

We can't possibly give spoilers! You'll have to watch it 😛

14 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

Correct,Nicky Cross on the end of Yozzer’s cross.

6 minutes ago, robf said:

We can't possibly give spoilers! You'll have to watch it 😛

I don’t think it will spoil it Rob.What a game and atmosphere.

It had the potential of being another Hillsborough for a short time as all the Vale fans crammed in, I was hanging on the railings at the corner and we were shouting to the stewards to open the corner section. They did and all was well, thankfully.  My favourite game this was and I nearly missed Proctors coach because I was late from work, just managed to get it at lime kiln traffic light before it drove off.

9 minutes ago, barny61 said:

It had the potential of being another Hillsborough for a short time as all the Vale fans crammed in, I was hanging on the railings at the corner and we were shouting to the stewards to open the corner section. They did and all was well, thankfully.  My favourite game this was and I nearly missed Proctors coach because I was late from work, just managed to get it at lime kiln traffic light before it drove off.

Correct barny,that middle section was rammed and there was a crush developing behind with fans trying to get in.Thankfully,as you say,they opened the side bit.

23 hours ago, Tim vlf said:

Another wonderful away game to rival Brighton and Liverpool away!!! Fantastic time

Hmmm... we've had Brighton away, Derby away is to come, I wonder if Liverpool away may also be in the offing soon? 😉

29 minutes ago, robf said:

Hmmm... we've had Brighton away, Derby away is to come, I wonder if Liverpool away may also be in the offing soon? 😉

Tease.

When we drew top division Derby in the 3rd Round,  thinking that we would lose, I booked a holiday to take my mother to see her brother who lived in Cyprus at the time to include the weekend of the 4th round matches. As we would be out, we would have a free weekend and I wouldn’t have to miss a match due to the holiday.

Hence, trying to get the BBC World Service on a pocket radio a few weeks later somewhere in Larnaca to get the result. The first thing I knew about the game was when, through a crackly line I heard James Alexander Gordon say “Aston Villa 6...”

I didn’t hold out too much hope of the remainder being “...Port Vale 7”