onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vote: Worst Port Vale XI sub goalie

robf

Worst Vale XI: who should be the sub goalie?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Vale XI: who should be the sub goalie?

• Leo Fasan
    • Ryan Boot
    • Jonny Brain

Advert

Boot had some decent games for us. The "fans" were on his back from the off. By the time of the Crewe game his confidence was hammered, he took his eye off the ball for a howler, yes (Scotty Brown makes the odd howler).

Made a decent career for himself in the National League. Only one level below us. So I'm not having Boot. Or Brain, either who was decent for Macc and okay for us.

Has to be Fasan of the options. 

I've gone for Fasan but I have to disagree with some of your points on Boot ToyahW. 

I don't recall the fans being on his back from the off at all. What I recall was bemusement at getting continual contracts for seasons on end yet was never given a game or trusted by the manager. 

The Crewe game as well as a goal he made another clanger and then got ' injured ' . I'll leave that to people's interpretation, I had my take on it. 

He did okay at times as you say but never instilled full confidence whereas most keepers should exude confidence.

Glad he's still got a decent career but to say Vale fans were after him from the off is not true .

On 28/05/2020 at 09:42, darren1810 said:

I've gone for Fasan but I have to disagree with some of your points on Boot ToyahW. 

I don't recall the fans being on his back from the off at all. What I recall was bemusement at getting continual contracts for seasons on end yet was never given a game or trusted by the manager. 

The Crewe game as well as a goal he made another clanger and then got ' injured ' . I'll leave that to people's interpretation, I had my take on it. 

He did okay at times as you say but never instilled full confidence whereas most keepers should exude confidence.

Glad he's still got a decent career but to say Vale fans were after him from the off is not true .

Maybe you are right, but from my perspective he got murdered. He was not even our worst keeper that season. By the time of the Crewe game he was dead in the water, confidence shot. I think he was picked on from the off.

I've contributed to this thread but I do worry about knocking the careers of some players who are probably struggling in the game right now. For someone like, I dunno, Ryan Boot or Kyle Perry, their most lasting legacy may be getting included in a worst XI (or bench). We had 23 year old Christian Mbulu dying possibly by his own hand earlier in the week. Not saying we shouldn't have the poll etc but it has given me cause for thought.

I think the poll is just a bit of light relief that we started weeks ago. I imagine every fans' forum has a similar thread from time to time. It's reflecting what supporters talk about and debate all the time, in the pub, at work, at games. I see no harm in it.

We had a thread I think on the sad case mentioned above and I expressed my condolences then but I think this should be taken in the spirit in which it's intended - a bit of harmless fun and banter from the terraces.

i do understand the point made, though.

I know there's no malice behind it and to us it's 'a bit of fun' but imagine if a poll was conducted in your workplace and you were judged to be the worst employee in your role in the firm's history and this was publicised on the company's website. I'd imagine that it, in certain circumstances, could be devastating. It's tricky and, as I said, I've contributed to the thread and voted but I'm unsure if this matches up well with the fact that we have Mind sponsoring the backs of our shirts. 

I agree with the point to a certain degree.  Criticism can get out of hand, particularly where personal. 

With the workplace comparison that is, for me, a bit different.   That's the people you work with, doing the same/ similar job as that are judging you.  And that does happen.  Not plastered over the website maybe but bullying certainly does.

Football is full of varying character types.  Some are hardened to the criticism side and couldnt care less what fans think.  Others are sensitive.

You know, as a pro, that you'll be judged by fans.

From a fans perspective, the social side in the pub or round a mates chatting about the game or club affairs is just as big a thing as attending on match day.  

I dont buy the "I've paid so I can say what I want" stance but fans care about the club and what players produce on the pitch matters to them.

These threads are a bit of fun.  I honestly don't think anyone on here has come across as having anything genuinely personal against any of these lads.

It is indeed a tricky one. I mean if fans can't say they do not think a player is very good, then that shuts down almost all fan conversation. What I really dislike is players getting murdered for off the pitch reasons. Like Boot, who had been killed on here as a "waste of a wage" because he had been a back up keeper on the books for a while. Or Lloyd, because he was a Vale reject who Askey signed because he was at Macc. 

These players, and others,  had no chance before they even got on the pitch. Look back through ovf history under "waste of a wage". 

I tried to pick my worst as players that were poor for vale but otherwise had decent careers. But not being holler than thou. A few weren't. 

But yeah, it is something to bare in mind in the future.

Archived