onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Budget cap.

Ben Robinson Burton Owner was on 5live tonight. Vale voted along with the other 23 clubs to pay for the testing of all L2 players that are involved in the play offs out of their EFL share.

Then he went on to discuss a First Team budget salary cap that will be around £1.25mil for L2 and around £2.25 - £2.5mil for L1. Clubs are debating proposals and if they do agree it will prob be in force for Season 21/22.

Advert

I personally don’t see any need for the introduction of a salary cap. 

If club owners are so worried about their expenditure, then they should simply not pay what agents (and ultimately the players) are demanding. Just pay what you as a club can afford.

You don’t need a salary cap to do that. 

4 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

If club owners are so worried about their expenditure, then they should simply not pay what agents (and ultimately the players) are demanding. Just pay what you as a club can afford.

I don’t think that’s the issue... it’s to stop situations like:

- Salford buying success

- Colchester where the owner has over extended himself and paid £4m in wages (based on last accounts) and now can’t afford to carry on.

- Bury who clearly couldn’t afford their mega wages but gambled on promotion saving them.

Football club owners (thankfully not our) have proven themselves over and over again as not capable of resisting that big push that will pay off eventually.

Salary cap is a very sensible move if you ask me.

Interestingly, they have them in Australian sport and the methods teams use to get round them make the front pages about once a year.

Watch out for Tom Elliot at Salford getting a job at hotel football for 2 hours a fortnight on days where there is a home game doing meet and greets for £100k a year.

1 hour ago, butt lane vale fan said:

Ben Robinson Burton Owner was on 5live tonight. Vale voted along with the other 23 clubs to pay for the testing of all L2 players that are involved in the play offs out of their EFL share.

Then he went on to discuss a First Team budget salary cap that will be around £1.25mil for L2 and around £2.25 - £2.5mil for L1. Clubs are debating proposals and if they do agree it will prob be in force for Season 21/22.

In an ideal world the ‘few weeks wage‘ fine that Hudson Odi gets from Chelsea would be gifted to the EFL to pay for playoff testing! 

But that would be far too good a solution so it won’t happen! 😂

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Stop being so bloody sensible. 

I don't mind Salford and the like buying success but something does have to be done to stop bad owners spending money they don't have and driving a long standing club out of business, as with Bury.

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I don’t think that’s the issue... it’s to stop situations like:

- Salford buying success

- Colchester where the owner has over extended himself and paid £4m in wages (based on last accounts) and now can’t afford to carry on.

- Bury who clearly couldn’t afford their mega wages but gambled on promotion saving them.

Football club owners (thankfully not our) have proven themselves over and over again as not capable of resisting that big push that will pay off eventually.

Salary cap is a very sensible move if you ask me.

Interestingly, they have them in Australian sport and the methods teams use to get round them make the front pages about once a year.

Watch out for Tom Elliot at Salford getting a job at hotel football for 2 hours a fortnight on days where there is a home game doing meet and greets for £100k a year.

^ This is the reason why a salary cap is being discussed. It’s nothing to do with players or agents demands.  Our league is so far removed from the top level in that regard, players and agents just don’t have that power because the lower leagues are not awash with money. 

I'm unsure about the salary cap but it also has its merits. 

Usually the bigger clubs generally with better crowds can attract the big guns 

Plymouth, Danny Mayor

Swindon, Eoin Doyle

Bradford, James Vaughan ( though he did very little )

You have to live within your means and be sensible about things. 

Salford and their like is to the detriment of the game because there is no way players like Towell, Wilson and Rooney would ever consider such a small club without the silly money dangling in front of them. 

Luckily we have savvy people running our club who will look at the bigger picture not boom and bust 

I thought we could,only,spend a defined % of our revenue anyway.If the cap is the same for everyone it represents more of a level playing field and therefore make the leagues more competitive.Any extra revenue,not used for salaries,could be used for things like ground maintenance and improvements.

1 hour ago, Howjy04 said:

£10 a week during the season,£5 a week in the off season.Problem solved for fruit picking aswell.

They do that anyway. They get paid a basic weekly wage. When they play they get their appearance, goal, clean sheet, league position bonuses. So no games = no extra money. 

Isn't another part of the proposal a squad of twenty with eight of them being academy graduates?

I can't see how they could implement that unless there's a transition process.

For instance, we already have twelve signed up of which only two (Gibbons and Campbell-Gordon) are youth team graduates.

Using that logic we'd only be able to offer contracts to two out of Cullen, Amoo, Montano, Brisley, Conlon etc. Then we'd have to find six youth team graduates (Smith is one) to offer contracts to as well.

I do personally think salary caps and squad limits sound like good long-term solutions (better than B teams anyhow) but you can't just drop in a sudden, dramatic change - there has to be a gradual movement to it over some years surely?

31 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

I thought we could,only,spend a defined % of our revenue anyway.If the cap is the same for everyone it represents more of a level playing field and therefore make the leagues more competitive.Any extra revenue,not used for salaries,could be used for things like ground maintenance and improvements.

That's true Howj, but then there are a load of arguments about what constitutes revenue... Humans have a clever way of weaselling around rules.

I agree that Salary cap has pros and cons, but at least its a clear measure of what a team can spend.

Archived