17 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

5"  shorter though, could be against him.

What holds Smith back a little is height and pace, he has all the other attributes to play higher.

He's a scrapper and a marker but does lack a bit of height to compete against the big strong boys like Rhead, where you need a Hazell or a Swan to subdue those bustling types.

I thought he improved a lot on the ground this season but still isn't great with the ball at his feet and is light years away from being a Dean Glover.

We've all got different opinions on the matter and it'll be interesting to see if anyone bites or he stays with us.

23 minutes ago, TheSage said:

He's a scrapper and a marker but does lack a bit of height to compete against the big strong boys like Rhead, where you need a Hazell or a Swan to subdue those bustling types.

I thought he improved a lot on the ground this season but still isn't great with the ball at his feet and is light years away from being a Dean Glover.

We've all got different opinions on the matter and it'll be interesting to see if anyone bites or he stays with us.

I'm sceptical he will get Championship offers. There would be quite a few question marks if he was being scouted at that level. There are a lot of players who need to get promoted to play in the top 2 leagues because there are a few obvious question marks about their ability to make the transition. Where he might get interest is an ambitious but smaller league one side.

2 hours ago, dishydave said:

He's not good enough on the ball for championship level. For me what we need is a a ball playing centre half when we replace Smith

I prefer centrehalves who can defend. If a player can defend and be described as ball playing I'd question why he was in league 2.

• Like 2

Smith is better on the ball than sometimes people give him credit for, plus this aspect of his game will only get better, provided he's encouraged to "play".  It's unfair to compare him to Dean Glover, they're different types of player, but on that comparison one things for certain, Smith will score more goals.

He's a good player. A bit short for a CB but is very good in the air. Rarely gets bested by much bigger strikers. I really hope he stays. Could have a good sell  on value for Vale. But as Doha says, the pissing around is getting tiresome. Make your mind up Smithy.

A good defender but no travesty if he goes.

Good luck to him, but make your mind up please Nathan. Cheers for the dependable service in dark times.

I think the fact he hasn’t signed says it all that he’s after a move. Don’t blame him really, especially if he can go up a league. 

I think it is a dangerous game he is playing, there are still around 1,00 players at our level out of contract I think. Take the offer from Vale and aim to be looking again at the end of next season hopefully with a promotion on his CV would be a sensible approach maybe. 

46 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think it is a dangerous game he is playing, there are still around 1,00 players at our level out of contract I think. Take the offer from Vale and aim to be looking again at the end of next season hopefully with a promotion on his CV would be a sensible approach maybe. 

He must be aware of definite interest from other clubs for him allow our contract offer to drift by. 

He's wise to be keeping his own counsel.  It's his decision alone on what offer he wishes to take.  Like probably the vast majority of PV supporters, I fervently hope that he does decide to stay, but good luck to the lad whatever the final decidion.