Smith was good this season. He plays sensibly with the ball at his feet. I get frustrated he isn't playing more contributing forward passes out of the back, but he doesn't give the ball away very often which is a far worse sin. Legge has taken on the mantle of ball playing centre half; he is a bit too Hollywood. Smith is slightly small for a centre half but many much smaller have been successful. Frank McLintock comes quickly to mind. He has found a way to tussle with bigger forwards more effectively. He can be outpaced but he isn't slow and shows reasonable positioning depending on who he is up against. I think he can play at League 1 and might attract an offer, but remembering past centre halves PV had at Championship level he isn't as good. But has an eye for goal and could seek to score even more. Perhaps he would be great at Sheffield United.

I like Smith but I can't agree that he's improved in his distribution. He's still fairly inadequate in that regard.

Only example I can remember is him winning the ball in the quagmire away at Mansfield, stumbling, laying it off, and then tapping in from an Amoo cross. He also had a couple of alright dribbles in his brief stint at RB.

Fundamentally though he has never broken a line of pressing in his career. He passes it to Joyce or launches it, which is fine; he more than makes up for it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Rumours on Twitter gathering pace that Smith could sign for Stoke.

You’d have thought he would be aiming for Championship football?

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

They must be preparing for L1 football then?

I rate Smith, and would LOVE it if he stayed - but after watching him regularly for 4 years, I don't see anything other than a solid L2/lower L1 centre half.

4 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Squad player in the land of giants, or preparing for L1 ?   Not as if it is an investment to keep  Vale in L2

He'd be a good signing for them, better than what the currently have on less money. He always gives 100% and supports the club! Fair play to him if it happens 

6 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I reckon there’s no truth in it whatsoever

The gimp on twitter who made this up (and was rabbiting on about it back in February too) will be laughing his head off.

In a fantasy world where this did happen, I'd end up getting banned off here. Omertà. 

• Like 1

Askey basically confirms he expects him to leave. "Looking at other options".

Seems to be stringing us along now. He's had his time. Tell us no and off you go.

Cheers Nath. Solid defender. Replaceable and we move on. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Again, I have no time for being strung along. It's disrespectful to the club. If you're going to plss off then hurry up and do it. Tra, bye bye. 7 months we first started these negotiations with Smith. 

Yeah,  tend to agree. Very good player for us Smithy. Could bring us in a bob or two in a transfer fee if he stays. But I've seen nothing to make me think he is more than a mid L1 level player. Which for us at the moment is okay. But this has dragged on too long. If he wants off, time to say goodbye and move on. 

Brisley is a more than adequate for this league with championship and league 1 experience.

sign a cheap backup and use the extra money we were offering him to increase the budget for a goal scorer, or towards getting Mitch Clark back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

Yeah,  tend to agree. Very good player for us Smithy. Could bring us in a bob or two in a transfer fee if he stays. But I've seen nothing to make me think he is more than a mid L1 level player. Which for us at the moment is okay. But this has dragged on too long. If he wants off, time to say goodbye and move on. 

Agree with this. Good player at this level but certainly not worth breaking the bank for. There are plenty of good centre-halves at this level available, so I’m not really losing sleep about this. We were hardly an iron curtain with him in the team. Good luck Smithy and I’m sure Port Vale will prosper just fine without you. UTV.