onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained List

Jacko51

Advert

34 minutes ago, dishydave said:
1 hour ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:
Yes, good news, though I would have preferred him to get a 2 year deal. He's a proven goal-getter.

It's probably because of his injuries that he seems to suffer from a lot but hopefully we have an appearance clause where we can extend if he plays more next season

It's quite a financial risk giving a player with his injury record 2 years, especially as he is likely to be on a big wage. Good player who ended the season first choice as the central striker. So who officially signs a contract on Monday? I think only Browne and Montano left, although my guess the paperwork is complete.

15 hours ago, JRC said:

It's quite a financial risk giving a player with his injury record 2 years, especially as he is likely to be on a big wage. Good player who ended the season first choice as the central striker. So who officially signs a contract on Monday? I think only Browne and Montano left, although my guess the paperwork is complete.

It's been one a day so there could well be one this afternoon 😉

Out of the ones offered deals there's only Browne and Montano left.

So at this rate, by Monday everyone with the exception of Nathan Smith will be signed up. That leaves us with a pretty strong core squad in my view.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

He was quick, showed a lot of promise for a young kid, he’s still only 22 now so how young was he when at the vale.

should have been given more of a chance.

He was reasonably quick not lightening quick and got quite a few chances. He had good moments rather than good games. He played 40 plus competitive games, although a lot were as a sub. Done nowhere near as well as Quigley or Angus in 2019/20, so both have stronger claims to have had restricted opportunities. As a comparison Devante Rodney (not advocating we sign him but both almost exactly the same age) scored 8 in 17 starts and 3 sub appearances in the national league last season (7 of his starts on the wing) and Salford decided he wasn't worth persevering with. 

Turner was one of many young players who clearly had something but never really developed. It's that ability to move beyond having good moments to really influencing games for 20/ 30 minute periods that marks out the ones who succeed at the higher levels. It's learning how to get involved when a game is passing them by. Sadly I saw no sign that was developing. If it does I'm sure he'll come again but for most players it doesn't. 

3 minutes ago, robf said:

It's been one a day so there could well be one this afternoon 😉

Out of the ones offered deals there's only Browne and Montano left.

So at this rate, by Monday everyone with the exception of Nathan Smith will be signed up. That leaves us with a pretty strong core squad in my view.

I'd agree. You'd expect the majority of the starting 11 to be those now contracted and new signings being drip fed in over next season. You'd expect consistency of selection to give us an advantage over the first 7 or 8 games next season while other clubs struggle to bed in players 

23 minutes ago, JRC said:

He was reasonably quick not lightening quick and got quite a few chances. He had good moments rather than good games. He played 40 plus competitive games, although a lot were as a sub. Done nowhere near as well as Quigley or Angus in 2019/20, so both have stronger claims to have had restricted opportunities. As a comparison Devante Rodney (not advocating we sign him but both almost exactly the same age) scored 8 in 17 starts and 3 sub appearances in the national league last season (7 of his starts on the wing) and Salford decided he wasn't worth persevering with. 

Turner was one of many young players who clearly had something but never really developed. It's that ability to move beyond having good moments to really influencing games for 20/ 30 minute periods that marks out the ones who succeed at the higher levels. It's learning how to get involved when a game is passing them by. Sadly I saw no sign that was developing. If it does I'm sure he'll come again but for most players it doesn't. 

Angus is 26 and Quigley is 27 though, Turner was scoring league goals for us at the age of 20...

37 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Angus is 26 and Quigley is 27 though, Turner was scoring league goals for us at the age of 20...

I don't think Angus got his chance. Quigley did and his misses nearly got us relegated out of the league. I would have persisted with Turner but not as a primary striker. I think he had the potential to be a successful advanced midfield player. But too late now, life has moved on.

Archived