onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained List

Jacko51

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I see Mansfield are going on another mad spending spree:

They have signed Ollie Clarke (Bristol Rovers captain and one of their best players) Who rejected a new deal to sign for them.

The luton keeper Stech from their promotion campaign

Jordan Bowery As well as a none league striker that scored a bag load last year

and now they are rumoured to be after Omar Bogle and Borthwick from Lincoln.

Mansfield 2020/21

8 new players, first game team struggles to find a playing pattern. Late September manager starts experimenting with a squad of 35 players to try and find an elusive winning formula. Some big name players signed by previous managers start to spread discontent in the dressing room 

Manager sacked at Christmas.  New manager bring 3 new players in January. Do ok second half of the season. May release all players not on long-term contracts to release funds for the new manager to start the annual summer rebuild.

Mansfield 2021/22

Repeat season 2019/20 and 2020/21 all over again.

Advert

6 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Conlon signs for 2 years

I really, really like Conlon.

Superb technical ability, one of our best crossers, and covers every blade of grass.

He tends to tire 60ish minutes in so maybe needs to learn to be more efficient with his energy, but just before lockdown he had 2 goals and 2 assists in the recent games, from memory.

Free from injury I think he's going to be very useful next year. 

1 hour ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Chuffed with conlon staying . 

Joyce

Conlon

Burgess

A match fit manny

That's a strong midfield already and hopefully with a few more goals added. Would love if we could get Taylor back on loan as well.

I'm going to say this full in the knowledge that it sounds mad.... IF Manny can stay fit, I would prefer to play Burgess next year than get Taylor back.

Was it 1 loss in the games he started?? A real asset and a gem of a find.

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I'm going to say this full in the knowledge that it sounds mad.... IF Manny can stay fit, I would prefer to play Burgess next year than get Taylor back.

Know what you mean but Taylor is class and his spark in midfield is what we want to challenge for higher things. I also like Conlon and feel he will become a very good prospect. We now need a 10 goal getter from somewhere. 

I'm very excited about the new season , whenever that starts!

4 losses in his 29 appearances, one against Man City.

That's a pretty large sample size and suggests its less to do with luck/chance and more to do with the stability he provides with good ball retention, good positional intelligence, and excellent workrate.

The only reservation I would have to this is that Taylor is a proven goal scorer, whilst Burgess has yet to show this.  I felt Burgess lacked composure in front of goal last season, but he's still young enough to improve in this area.  It could simply be confidence, and a goal or two early doors next season may make a big difference in that regard.  Otherwise there wasn't much to choose between Burgess and Taylor.  In fact out on the pitch it was like watching twins at times.

We've seen that Manny has a goal in him, but we all worry about his fitness.

Getting Taylor back would be a no brainer but it'd be suprising to see him back at this level. I'd suggest that Clarke is more likely to return out of the pair.  Who knows.  Fingers crossed on both counts. 🤞

On 01/07/2020 at 15:13, Iron Curtain said:

I see Mansfield are going on another mad spending spree:

They have signed Ollie Clarke (Bristol Rovers captain and one of their best players) Who rejected a new deal to sign for them.

The luton keeper Stech from their promotion campaign

Jordan Bowery As well as a none league striker that scored a bag load last year

and now they are rumoured to be after Omar Bogle and Borthwick from Lincoln.

Mansfield at it again. Brilliant. Very reassuring in these troubling times.

I think the manager needs to assess as well as possible whether the Manny injuries are inherent and he is likely to miss 50% of the season or whether what has happened since he joined Port Vale is just unfortunate. That makes a difference to the whole formation of squad strategy for the coming season. I do feel we are shaping up well by keeping the basis of the team and only needing to add players that can improve us. I appreciate this isn't a normal close season and there is a risk I am in dreamland if the 2020/21 season can't be started! 

18 hours ago, Joe B said:

I really, really like Conlon.

Superb technical ability, one of our best crossers, and covers every blade of grass.

He tends to tire 60ish minutes in so maybe needs to learn to be more efficient with his energy, but just before lockdown he had 2 goals and 2 assists in the recent games, from memory.

Free from injury I think he's going to be very useful next year. 

Agree about him tiring at about 60 minutes. I'm not sure if that is a legacy of the injury or a policy decision by Askey to get him playing at full tempo and then pull him when he flags. Burgess is similar. The 2 midfield players left and right of Joyce cover an awful lot of ground when we are playing well under the 4 3 3 system.

14 hours ago, boslemportvale91 said:

My main worry is if Manny can manage a string of games without being injured. Definitely has a goal in him and his break up play is fantastic. 

Be interesting to see if Hurst or trickett smith will get a chance next season.

I don't think Trickett -Smith has any future at the club, he was just one of Norms potential moneymaker signings.

Archived