onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained List

Jacko51

39 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Bizarrely a bit of a boo boy figure at times. Goals and assists speak for themselves. Really happy that he is staying put. 

Good bit of business by Askey as it was almost a like for like swap for Hannant who was a workmanlike trier but nowhere near as good as Amoo . 

Yeah I never really understood the boo boys on Amoo... he got called Lazy but the stats are out there that he has a really high number of tackles!

Advert

The only thing that he frustrated me with was sometimes just needed possibly to believe in himself more. He had full backs on toast at times but then seemed to take foot off the gas. But he's one of our top creators and with Rhys Browne as cover / competition we are decent out wide 

Worrall, Amoo, Browne, Montano can all play that position. 

I think we are in very good shape at the moment for whenever 20/21 season rears its head 

12 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

The only thing that he frustrated me with was sometimes just needed possibly to believe in himself more. He had full backs on toast at times but then seemed to take foot off the gas. But he's one of our top creators and with Rhys Browne as cover / competition we are decent out wide 

Worrall, Amoo, Browne, Montano can all play that position. 

I think we are in very good shape at the moment for whenever 20/21 season rears its head 

Confidence maybe, part of the team building. Last season half way was a stretch from previous seasons, but next season we are starting from a PO position, but for the season ending abruptly. hopefully Amoo will not be the only one to up their game.

Amoo will be entering "second season" territory with Vale next season.

We've seen how much the likes of Joyce and Legge pushed on from their first season (when they were presumably getting used to the move to Burslem, new team mates, manager, coaches etc). I wonder if a settled Amoo next season will have some of his critics eating their words...

It's one of the many benefits of continuity and a settled squad. It may be that the likes of Crookes and Browne also push on after having had a season to find their feet too... 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Yeah I never really understood the boo boys on Amoo... he got called Lazy but the stats are out there that he has a really high number of tackles!

Amoo would have been mad to leave Vale. He's never been a regular starter elsewhere with over 40% of his appearances from the bench. He has 30 to 40 metre pace which is really suited to Vale Park. He reminds me a lot of Ashley Vincent, who also spent a lot of time on the bench at other clubs and was quick over distance. At a lot of smaller grounds wingers need to be 10 metre quick.

I'd stand by a comment I made a month ago that in many ways Browne is a better player BUT players with pace over distance are made to prosper at Vale Park. He's 29 and been released (sometimes before his contract ended) by all his clubs other than Cambridge. Vale Park is made for someone with his type of pace to leave a legacy. He hasn't really managed that elsewhere, so if that's something that interests him (ideally with a promotion on his CV which is devoid of honours) I don't see him getting a better opportunity. He might get a little more money elsewhere but he won't get to play on a better pitch for the type of player he is.

6/7 signed, ensuring stability when most clubs will see mass turnover. Excellent.

I think Smith will go but we got promoted from this level with John McCombe, Clayton McDonald, Darren Purse, and Liam Chilvers; all decent defenders but nothing spectacular. I trust we will find an able replacement.

I'm a huge Smithy fan. And he's one who could make us a bob or two in the future, whilst signing on the line for a bit of his own security.

Hugely disappointed he hasn't signed up. If that turns out to be the case CB is not the hardest position to replace to be honest.

If he is the only one we miss out on we've still done very good business.

6 minutes ago, Doha said:

Was the deadline today? If he wants to go after all the support he gets sod him. I don't have much time for players stringing clubs along no matter who they are. 

It's not really a case of "wanting to go" though.  He's like any other employee who's skills are in demand, he's in a position to improve his salary and, most likely, play at a higher level.  It's dissapointing but reality.  He's certainly not the first, and certainly won't be the last.  As for stringing clubs along, the club will probably know more than we do in terms of the other interested parties and their wage offers.

Smith may yet still sign, who knows, but if not then good luck to the lad, he owes us nowt after the last few seasons.

9 hours ago, Joe B said:

6/7 signed, ensuring stability when most clubs will see mass turnover. Excellent.

I think Smith will go but we got promoted from this level with John McCombe, Clayton McDonald, Darren Purse, and Liam Chilvers; all decent defenders but nothing spectacular. I trust we will find an able replacement.

Yes a steady eddie Centre half will be easier to find than that elusive goalscorer.

I'd imagine JA already has a back up list of potentials in case Smith as it appears flies the nest.

9 hours ago, Doha said:

Was the deadline today? If he wants to go after all the support he gets sod him. I don't have much time for players stringing clubs along no matter who they are. 

Bit harsh mate. These are strange times so you could argue stay put and be grateful for what you have but Smith would be mad not to see what else is about. 

Who knows he may have the opportunity in League one at a Sunderland, Ipswich etc , is he good enough? I'd say probably he is. 

The only thing i do hope is it is sorted quickly and doesn't be something that drags like Mark Marshall that time.

At the end of the day as Vale fans (long suffering) we all know that in the big scheme of things we are a smaller club and have never been able to compete on money and wages with the bigger boys. The frustration is that we don't get big fees any more if players run down their contracts. 

I'd like Smith here. He improved for me last season and looked a bit more assured and better on the ball. He's always been a tenacious, battler and man marker. But, I agree, defenders are easier to replace than goalscorers and creative midfield players. Those two positions are the very tough ones to fill.

I was mortified when we lost Horton. And Brooker and Jones and Beckford and Taylor and Earle - but we got fees for them. McPhee was the annoying one because he was so good and left for nowt to go abroad. And to be frank its great to see lads doing well higher up after learning their trade here. I always watched those boys with great pride and never failed to tell everyone that we at Port Vale taught them all they know! Mark Bright was another. 

Good luck to Smith if he gets a good move and a bigger pay packet and a chance at a higher level. If not, we'll gladly keep him and continue to improve ourselves.

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Bit harsh mate. These are strange times so you could argue stay put and be grateful for what you have but Smith would be mad not to see what else is about. 

Who knows he may have the opportunity in League one at a Sunderland, Ipswich etc , is he good enough? I'd say probably he is. 

The only thing i do hope is it is sorted quickly and doesn't be something that drags like Mark Marshall that time.

Askey has been negotiating with Smith on signing a new deal since at least December. It was reported in the news before Christmas. 

Seven bloody months is rather a long time of seeing what else is about. 

If you're going to jump ship then get on with it.

Exactly right, we don't want a Marshall scenario again. Dragging it out forever and past the contract deadline under radio silence really annoys me. 

Archived