onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained List

Jacko51

Advert

Reckon any player who turns down a contract offer is mad. What does a player want during this pandemic when there's talking of half the clubs in the EFL going bust and maybe there won't be a 2020-21 season? Talks of wage caps and 50% cuts in order for clubs to survive? Stability.

Another year, same money as before. Done. Where do I sign?

• 2 weeks later...

Cullen, Brisley and Monty all agreed deals according to CG in tonights Sentinel.  Monty was on Radio Stoke earlier and said as much.

CG, "We had the 11 players that were on contract, Luke Joyce has added to that and now we have another three that have already committed, so we are heading towards the 20 mark if we can get the other four on board.

“That is hopefully a strong place to be in because these are players that are familiar with each other. When we know when we can kick a ball again, then we can probably look to replace those players that have left us and hopefully improve the squad yet again.

“But we would be in a good place, a place that a lot of clubs wouldn’t be in.”

All this great news but those last couple of lines really do sound very positive.  Incredible.  Fingers crossed.

I hope they all sign. But Cullen in particular would be massive. If he can stay fit he is class at our level. Surprised Browne hasn't bitten our hands off at the offer. Amoo is a bit of a nomad and Smithy might be aiming higher. Hope they all sign. But yeah, we are looking in good shape at the moment.

Plus our big ground might help if footie resumes with social distancing. The Bycars always looked like they did that already.

25 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I hope they all sign.

Nathan Smith aside (as he may have a better offer from elsewhere) I personally think they all will. In the current circumstances, they'd be mad to trust to being picked up on a better deal when free agents. 

I think if they do then the word I always bandy around - continuity - comes into play. We'd have a squad comprising of 18 players will have been here for at least a season. That 18 has a really good mixture of experience (Brown, Legge, Brisley, Joyce, Pope etc), some youngsters with potential (Gibbons, Burgess, Crookes etc) and a crop of players in their late 20's who should be at their peak (Worrall, Amoo, Cullen, Oyeleke, Montano etc).

Yes, there may be loads of players to snap up - and four-five class additions could really make a difference - but to have a solid spine - but a quality, settled (and from all reports) happy squad is a really big step to success in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, robf said:

Nathan Smith aside (as he may have a better offer from elsewhere) I personally think they all will. In the current circumstances, they'd be mad to trust to being picked up on a better deal when free agents. 

I think if they do then the word I always bandy around - continuity - comes into play. We'd have a squad comprising of 18 players will have been here for at least a season. That 18 has a really good mixture of experience (Brown, Legge, Brisley, Joyce, Pope etc), some youngsters with potential (Gibbons, Burgess, Crookes etc) and a crop of players in their late 20's who should be at their peak (Worrall, Amoo, Cullen, Oyeleke, Montano etc).

Yes, there may be loads of players to snap up - and four-five class additions could really make a difference - but to have a solid spine - but a quality, settled (and from all reports) happy squad is a really big step to success in my opinion.

!00% agree Rob.

11 hours ago, toyahw said:

I hope they all sign. But Cullen in particular would be massive. If he can stay fit he is class at our level. Surprised Browne hasn't bitten our hands off at the offer. Amoo is a bit of a nomad and Smithy might be aiming higher. Hope they all sign. But yeah, we are looking in good shape at the moment.

Plus our big ground might help if footie resumes with social distancing. The Bycars always looked like they did that already.

i mentioned the possibility of social distancing at our ground would be easy by just having home fans only and using the hamil.

It would never happen because for example Bradford would be unable to do it with 15'000 gates and also the clubs that hold say 6000 capacity would struggle. 

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

i mentioned the possibility of social distancing at our ground would be easy by just having home fans only and using the hamil.

It would never happen because for example Bradford would be unable to do it with 15'000 gates and also the clubs that hold say 6000 capacity would struggle. 

Yeah that's the problem. They aren't going to make decisions based on individual cases. Hell, they're starting a mandatory quarantine for anyone flying in, whether they're coming from a hotspot or a place with zero cases, so don't expect us to be given any leeway based on us having a stadium 70% empty for most games.

• 2 weeks later...

It's promising that we are keeping so many of last seasons squad, for far too long we have had wholesale changes in close season, Crewe finished last season strongly and have put this seasons success down to the fact they kept so many of their squad and so there is no reason why we cant take that extra step next season and push on.

On the Smith front, if he goes I wish him all the best and thank him for what he has done, however his position is one of the easier ones to fill, in my opinion, better a centre half going than your star striker, or goal scoring midfielder.

3 hours ago, TheSage said:

Good.

I don't know why Amoo would not sign. He's done well here and is popular with fans.

Smith is a different matter. If he got a better offer from a higher league club you could not blame him for having a crack.

I'd agree on both points. Both need to get a move on and decide one way or the other.

Archived