onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained List

Jacko51

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Maddison is a good lad, who according to the Vale players improved a lot this year, but I think the fact his only appearance was against Newcastle U23s in the Checkatrade, when we've got an ageing first choice, is probably indicative that we didn't think he was/will be ready.

Would love Palmer; looking around retained lists of Colchester, Cambridge, Carlisle, and Salford (have I missed any), the likes of:

Harry McKirdy

Stefan Scougall

Frank Nouble

Michael O'Connor

Chris Neal

Kyle Letheren

Scott Wiseman

Craig Conway

Nathan Pond

George Taft

Paul Lewis

Are all names that have proven they can do the business at this level. Some are positions we don't need players at; some are too old; some are questionable characters.

Its the League 1 retained list we want to be looking at, as well as the Category 1 Academies.

Palmer I think is on the radar.

Askey doesn't seem keen on older players.

Nouble might be of interest as he can play out wide or through the middle. Only 28.

George Taft depending on whether he wants a centrehalf (which Taft really is) or a leftback.

Paul Lewis, ex Macc where he was an attacking midfielder but played well this year as a holding midfielder. Probably keen to get closer to home.

Ryan Jackson as rightback cover, but can't see him coming as cover

Brandon Comley who does a similar job to Joyce.

McKirdy ticks a lot of boxes BUT not an Askey type character. Reminds me of MBW but comes across as a tool. Shame as he's scored 11 from midfield.

Theo Archibald can play fullback and wing on both sides but rumoured to be off to Lincoln

Nathan Thomas is a decent player but rumour is he was on 10k a week at Sheffield

Stefan Scougil but not really sure he's better than Browne so not likely to challange.

Hayden White as a possible second rightback

Kristian Pearce too good to come as a backup, maybe if Smith goes

Otis Khan looked a good player, Mansfield seem to have become the waste chute for good players over the last 2 years

Advert

Always surprised Krystian Pearce never pushed on to at least League One perhaps Championship he looked good on loan for us early in his career and was highly rated, yet has spent most of his career at Notts, Torquay and Mansfield in League Two.   I guess him, Brisley and Legge could form some sort of partnership should Smith leave(as seems likely).

Whilst we cant be sure they will all sign I have to say I'm quite hopeful this time round of keeping some of those lads.  The club seems a happy place for the first time in many a year and I think the lack of security anywhere at the moment could do us a favour.

I'd be over the moon if they all signed to be honest. 

As much as I think McKirdy is a spoilt brat I would not be surprised if we signed him as his grandfather is one of John Rudge's best mates. He does have the skills needed as his eleven goals from last season show, he just needs to control his temper.

28 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

should Smith leave(as seems likely).

Any particular reason to say that Shropshire? I would have thought under the current circumstances we are more likely to be able to keep him.

As much as I think McKirdy is a spoilt brat I would not be surprised if we signed him as his grandfather is one of John Rudge's best mates. He does have the skills needed as his eleven goals from last season show, he just needs to control his temper.

Askey wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole.

19 minutes ago, Frank Mustard said:

Any team that signs him and gets him to play as part of the team will have a very good player. Don't see Askey as a manager who signs mavericks. There is no doubt McKirdy has the potential to play in the Championship.

1 hour ago, rayzer said:

McKirdy thinks he’s god’s gift. Falls over too much. I very much doubt Rudgie would let his friendship with his grandad override his common sense. McKirdy is also rather lightweight. 

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

IMHO JA's additions will be dependent of who out of the 7 don't accept. Gonna be some very good out of contract players available, hope we can be quick and decisive but always stay within means.

What will slow things down is any new rules/format changes. Things like the proposed wage cap and mentioned limits on numbers of players in squad.  None of this appears to have been agreed yet.  Lots of things have yet to be formalised.  I’ve even read in today’s Sentinel the rumour of League 2 amalgamating with the National League and then going regionalised.  Until the format, and any new rules are fully ratified it’s going to be very difficult for clubs to plan.

1 hour ago, Frank Mustard said:

If there is one thing we have learned about Askey it is that he doesn't touch arse holes with a barge pole. Good on him for that. And it has worked so far. So keep it up.

32 minutes ago, toyahw said:

If there is one thing we have learned about Askey it is that he doesn't touch arse holes with a barge pole. Good on him for that. And it has worked so far. So keep it up.

I think as others have said, even the signings that haven't worked out have seemed to be good team players. A marked contrast to last season when Askey said he'd had to deal with things he'd never seen before in his time as manager. So, I suspect the character of any new signings and how they will fit in is pretty important as well as their footballing ability.

46 minutes ago, The French Connection said:
6 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:
The only surprise to me is not offering maddison a deal it will be hard bring a keeper in that's happy sit on the bench. 

Chris Neale is available....

He’s 34 now I think, my guess is we will go for a youngster we can develop as a long term replacement for Brown.

Or, given money will be tight in the lower leagues, a very cheap youth team keeper and then use the emergency loan system is something happens to Brown (god forbid)

Archived