onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained List

Jacko51

4 minutes ago, Doha said:

Not in 2020-2021. There will be players ripping your hand off to sit on the bench. Means they're getting paid.

We might well consider going withBrown plus a young lad - don’t know what the youth team keeper is like. If we need to trim costs this could be one way of doing it and you can bring in a loan keeper at any time in the season. Our reputation is good now so clubs would probably be much happier to let us borrow players than was the case previously. 

Advert

36 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Maddison is a good lad, who according to the Vale players improved a lot this year, but I think the fact his only appearance was against Newcastle U23s in the Checkatrade, when we've got an ageing first choice, is probably indicative that we didn't think he was/will be ready.

Would love Palmer; looking around retained lists of Colchester, Cambridge, Carlisle, and Salford (have I missed any), the likes of:

Harry McKirdy

Stefan Scougall

Frank Nouble

Michael O'Connor

Chris Neal

Kyle Letheren

Scott Wiseman

Craig Conway

Nathan Pond

George Taft

Paul Lewis

Are all names that have proven they can do the business at this level. Some are positions we don't need players at; some are too old; some are questionable characters.

Its the League 1 retained list we want to be looking at, as well as the Category 1 Academies.

Nathan Pond must be about 55 by now !!

Neal and O'Connor, that ship has sailed. 

I mentioned Mckirdy but he comes with baggage, diving twonk is a nice description of him. Are we prepared for that type of player ? If he concentrated on football he's decent. 

Carlisle fans say him and Nathan Thomas their best players 

When he was on his feet, McKirdy spent most of that game moaning his sack off at the ref. He comes across like a sulky character and I'm not sure about his temperament. He's talented but I don't think he's exceptionally good. Poundshop Jack Grealish.

Pleased with that, I suspect expecting six additions is over optimistic in the current climate. We’ll have taken a financial hit from Covid same as everyone else. It’s nice to have a settled nucleus that have been pushing for play offs this season and I suspect we’ll make sure any permanent goalie appointment is just right or go for a loan signing. Outfield Browne has maybe been a little fortunate but we’ll see if he stays injury free.

I think the whole market will be reset though that won’t be greatly visible as it’s about wages which the public never quite know. Some of these previously unattainable players from clubs that have not been spending sustainably will have to recalibrate. My guess would be we’re already in fairly sensible territory and have managed the main thing which is keeping a decent core that will probably improve. I just hope Carol’s business away from the club is ok and doesn’t impact on her ability to run the club as well as we’ve seen. (I also hope that out of respect and affection for Carol btw!).

No surprises on that list.  As others have said, there’ll be a good pool of players to pick from this summer.  Whoever we recruit  I trust JA to get good value for money.

Of those offered contracts, can we be sure they’ll all sign?

I’d also echo the sentiments of other posters in saying Thank You to those released players, and wish them all the best of luck in getting fixed up elsewhere.  They may not have played many games between them but all have contributed in reestablishing the club and getting us to the cusp of the playoffs.  If nothing else the dressing room harmony and team spirit has been much improved this season, these players have been a part of that.

59 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Mansfield had a huge cull

One that jumps out ( on Yeovil form )

Otis Khan

Yes was a good attacking midfielder/winger in a poor side at Yeovil but has been disappointing by all accounts at Mansfield.  I think he was a West Brom youth so could be fairly local based.  Is he greatly better than what we have already though?

I like the retained list, mainly because it was the one I voted for with the exception of Browne where I couldn't make up my mind. 

Askey has said he wants 6 in. My guess;

Goalkeeper .... definite

Rightback cover for Gibson

Leftback or Centrehalf ... what does he see as Montano's best position, does he see Crookes as a leftback or centrehalf, where are Campbell-Gordon and Hurst in their development and in the case of Hurst where does he see him playing

Midfield .... cover for Joyce. Maybe one more depending on where Worrall will play

Wingers ... maybe one

Centreforward ... one but ideally 2

As I'm sad, I've spent a bit of time perusing the names being released and have lobbed them in a spreadsheet, categorising them by Great, Good, Average, Poor, and Farmer.

I'm yet to come across a 'Great' player yet (described as a player elite for League 2, capable of playing in League 1), but considering age and quality, these are the 'Good' (described as a starter for most sides at this level) names I've got:

GK - Chris Neal

FBs - Scott Wiseman, Ryan Jackson

CBs - Krystian Pearce, George Taft

CMs - Alex MacDonald, Michael O'Connor, Paul Lewis

W/AMs - Otis Khan, Harry McKirdy, Otis Khan

Fs - Frank Nouble

Would like to have seen Will Atkinson offered a contract, decent player at this level and can cover at Right Back, maybe he's one of the players Carol said Vale would have liked to keep but financial reasons dictated otherwise. Pleased Luke Joyce has accepted, would love to see Jake Taylor and Mitch Clarke back on loan next season if funds are available. Hope all the 7 players offered contracts accept.

Archived