Match Thread Rewind: the final game of the 93-94 season

I'm running a little short of full matches that are worth putting up (e.g. no one will surely want to see a poor Vale loss and I have a few full games of those!)

So far we've had seven:

• Autoglass final
  • LDV final
  • FA Cup replay vs Stoke
  • QPR draw
  • Tranmere home
  • Everton replay
  • Brighton away

If you've missed one please go here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLitB7Hn9e6bkCSpx3SJKU6yenZxE0vfz-

I have one more slightly obscure one done (good game though) and another which isn't great quality both in terms of on the pitch and sound/video. I''m also scouring my last few VHS tapes for any more.

If anyone has any out there that haven't featured and want to get in touch that would be fabulous. I can accept large files via Dropbox etc.

Thanks Rob great memories.

Having digested all of the memories I'm scratching my head as to where were Aspin, Kerr, Porter and Cross 

I know it's a squad game and injuries etc but those players were around then I'm sure . 

Also how the mind plays tricks I recall Jinkin Johnny Jeffers against Bristol Rovers but didn't realise how long he spent at Vale.

As I've said before to you ( once we are back to some semblance of normality ) you can have my videos.

Fulham away 

Blackpool away 4-2 

Cardiff home

All memorable games .

Thanks again. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Thanks Rob great memories.

Having digested all of the memories I'm scratching my head as to where were Aspin, Kerr, Porter and Cross 

I know it's a squad game and injuries etc but those players were around then I'm sure . 

Also how the mind plays tricks I recall Jinkin Johnny Jeffers against Bristol Rovers but didn't realise how long he spent at Vale.

As I've said before to you ( once we are back to some semblance of normality ) you can have my videos.

Fulham away 

Blackpool away 4-2 

Cardiff home

All memorable games .

Thanks again. 

Thanks, that's much appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

I'd like see that 4 2 blackpool game 

Murmurings on the terrace ( before mobile phones ) that Preston were beating Bolton. Vale came storming back, pitch invasions, amazing day .

Only to find out I think it was John McGinley won it 1-0 for Bolton, so we came 3rd and then lost to WBA at Wembley. 

Again a massive following in excess of 4000 easily. 

On 19/05/2020 at 11:16, darren1810 said:

Aspin went off injured in the last home game against Exeter and missed both Cardiff & Brighton games.

Kerr went out on loan to Leicester in March for the remainder of the season. Didn’t he fall out with Rudge ?

Cross was sub at Cardiff the previous Tuesday so was presumably on the bench again.

Porter played the whole 90 minutes in this match.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Aspin went off injured in the last home game against Exeter and missed both Cardiff & Brighton games.

Kerr went out on loan to Leicester in March for the remainder of the season. Didn’t he fall out with Rudge ?

Cross was sub at Cardiff the previous Tuesday so was presumably on the bench again.

Porter played the whole 90 minutes in this match.

Hope this helps. 

Cheers , forgot about Kerr and his bust up. 

Are you sure Porter played because I thought it was Taylor and Walker in the middle with Kent and Jeffers wide ? 

Lowe just behind Foyle . 

54 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Cheers , forgot about Kerr and his bust up. 

Are you sure Porter played because I thought it was Taylor and Walker in the middle with Kent and Jeffers wide ? 

Lowe just behind Foyle . 

That season Walker didn’t play a single game. He damaged his knee which required surgery and he missed the whole season.

Out of interest, here is the team for the Brighton game ;

Musslewhite, Sandeman, Tankard, Swan, Glover, Kent, Taylor, Porter, Jeffers, Lowe, Foyle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How times have changed, what sticks in my mind about this game was the fact I used to smoke back then and come half time I had  got none left. I asked a steward on the gate if I could pop out to get some and he said "of course you can mate, there's  a garage just up the road, just knock 3 times on the gate when you come back and I'll let you back in" .

Sure enough when I got back he let me in, only problem was there was about 20 Vale  fans tagging along with me pleading to let them in, they were watching the match from the road you can see above the open side and spotted him letting me out  and then coming back!  I'll never know if they got in or not.

Edited by barny61
Spelling
  • Haha 2

Great memories of that game - and the one at Cardiff beforehand.

I think for only the second time in my life I was on the pitch at the end of the game. It was remarkable how many fans made that long journey that day.

Taylor's performance at Cardiff was excellent and what would we have done without the magnificent Martin Foyle?

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

That season Walker didn’t play a single game. He damaged his knee which required surgery and he missed the whole season.

Out of interest, here is the team for the Brighton game ;

Musslewhite, Sandeman, Tankard, Swan, Glover, Kent, Taylor, Porter, Jeffers, Lowe, Foyle.

Nice one Rowdy 👍

No idea how I confused Porter with Walker !! 

Scarily half my lifetime ago yet it seems so recent.