This thread is for Mike/Old Sage, anyone wishing  to  hold a dialogue on Smurthwaite  can do so on  his existing thread. Thank You

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Old Sage wrote with wit and humanity, imbibed in truthfulness. I will miss his posts. I regret that I never met him face to face.  This awful disease strikes so quickly and with such finality.  RIP Old comrade and Valiant in arms.

• Like 1

Absolutely gutted to hear this terrible news.  Came to know Mike during the v2001 protests, was outside at the infamous Crawley match with him and his sons.  If you had cut Mike he would have bled black and white.  Guess who brought the eggs along when the main building got egged!  Didn't seem it at the time, but happy days. He loved Popey!  RIP Old Sage - hope you were proud of your great club again.

• Like 1

The sentiment shown in all the posts shows the impact Mike, Old Sage had on the Vale, this forum and with people he met. Truly sad , RIP and condolences to all the family. 

Heres one for you Mike 

ENgSHubXYAE832S.jpg

• Like 7

Very sad news indeed. I used to enjoy his posts on here and his undented loyalty to Pope, no matter what.

It's only in his death have I come to realise Mike Lakin was Old Sage. I went to Primary School with Mike and remember him well, even from those days, as a passionate Vale fan.

Thanks for all you have done for the Vale Mike, you have had a memorable impact, which will not be forgotten.

Hi all,

I am going to now move this thread into our "Gone but not forgotten" section alongside other tributes to those no longer with us. 

There will be a redirect from the "Port Vale Present" forum too.

Thanks,

Rob

Went down the Vale for the drive-by today 

Great turnout and lovely to hear Carol say a few words

A fitting tribute

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Went down the Vale for the drive-by today 

Great turnout and lovely to hear Carol say a few words

A fitting tribute

I would have gone down Hamil rd also, but I didn’t know it was yesterday.

A good turn out, with some familiar faces, considering it wasn’t publicised. A special mention to Bob Pope who was present. Michael would have appreciated his attendance. We all know about Old Sage and his admiration (obsession 😀) for Tom, so thanks for that. My match day experience will never be the same again without the pep talk from Mike. 

Edited by sinnott2spinnit
Spelling
  • Like 1