R I P Mike

Condolences to Sue and his family. What sad sad news. Mike was a true family man.

Have known Mike for 45 years, as many may have and i have never met such a true supporter throughout all that time. Great times  we had but so many more less than great and Mike,s support would never weaken. It was a pleasure to be in his company. Whether we were playing the greats of Man city or Arsenal or Everton with Mike i would always feel confident of a victory.The Vale could never lose.Mike himself wouls also never lose. V2001, Smurf they didnt deserve to be at the Vale and Mike would ensure they went.

We can speak of great men for Port Vale. Sproson the player, Rudge the manager, i will add one more.                                                  Mike Lakin the fan. A true legend of Port Vale.

The Railway stand just wont be the  same again. Lets all give an extra shout out for the Vale at every game, for Mike.

R I P Mike  Up the Vale

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Spot on, mate.

Every week, this bloke was on P&G, putting his name and voice out there when Norman was threatening half of us with legal action. He didn't care. If it saved the Vale, he'd walk to the Moon and back. No stress. Get it done.

Carol's just put a comment on Facebook about ensuring that the club continue Mike's legacy, and that's a comforting thought on this difficult evening.

The best thing this club can do now, is become the club Mike always believed we could be. Fully united, moving in the right direction.

Just important that we always look back and remember the work Mike did in turning the tide.

A name sponsored facility at the ground. A charitable arm of the club foundation. A massive B&G 'Old Sage' flag on away days. T shirts on the opening day like with Pete. Just let me know pal and I'm there. 

I've just been going through the B&G emails. He really, really hated Norman didn't he? Brilliant. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Doha said:

A name sponsored facility at the ground. A charitable arm of the club foundation. A massive B&G 'Old Sage' flag on away days. T shirts on the opening day like with Pete. Just let me know pal and I'm there. 

I've just been going through the B&G emails. He really, really hated Norman didn't he? Brilliant. 

HE LOVED THE VALE  !!!

• Like 2

Just now, Sandyford_Lion said:

HE LOVED THE VALE  !!!

And in doing so put up a fight like you wouldn't believe to stop the scumbags from killing it. 

He scared the shlt out of Norman. I've just been laughing at his unfazed reaction to Norman making a threatening phone call to a B&G member last year screeching that the dibble were investigating us. Mike didn't give a toss and just laughed at him.  

Mike Lakin suite. Let's have it. 

• Like 2

I thought this post was going to be easier than it was.

Mike - an honest, straight talker. Scourge of many a former Port Vale board member. And rightly so. He sussed certain people very quickly, and he had the courage of his convictions to stand up and say so. Especially in the early days when that appetite wasn't universally shared amongst the wider fanbase.

He was articulate and passionate. When he got up and spoke he did it brilliantly. None more so than when he called Radio Stoke. He was a real asset to the supporters' groups.

Above all he was just a really good bloke. I know people took the mick out of him because of how much he defended Popey on here, and he didn't care about that too much, but from his point of view having a local lad like Tom in the side scoring goals and breaking records was a massive source of pride for him.

The last time I saw Mike was after one of the more recent home games, the weather had been abysmal all day and we ended up walking the same way up Hamil Road. I hadn't seen him in a while and we only had a short conversation but we were both in agreement that things were moving in the right direction finally. At the end we wished each other well and I remember walking away feeling happy we'd spoken.

It's been a pleasure to know you Mike. I'll look forward to the day we can get back to Burslem and raise a glass.

• Like 8

This terrible news just puts everything regarding todays decision regarding the season ending into perspective, merely a ripple on the sea when compared to the loss of a life.  RIP.

• Like 1

Getting a bit emotional reading through these brilliant posts. I really don't think I can add anything to what's been said. A brilliant bloke and the best of Valiants. He will be truly missed by all that knew him. RIP mate.

• Like 1

I didn't know old sage, never met him never spoke to him directly.

What I can say is that I knew of him,

Famous or infamous? Depends which side of the boardroom table you sat, how many shares you had or if you were following the March or hurling abuse.

In my view..... famous..... total dedication to vale, unwavering support for the club and its future. His actions allowed me to continue the support for my club even though I am unable to attend games. Thank you mate.

I'm sure he will still be shouting his support for the club he loves in that vale park in the sky.

In common football supporters parlance..... a legend.

Devastated. Condolences to Mike's kith and kin.

He was indeed 'all things Port Vale' - as confirmed by the many superlatives above - and I count myself fortunate to have shared a small part in his 'crusades' to save our 'Club, especially his famous 'Coffin March'...

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2012/02/rip-save-port-vale/

R.I.P Mike Lakin - Legend of Port Vale.

• Like 2

Can't believe it.........like Geo said I don't think I knew him, I may have stood by him on the Paddock pre internet days, who knows. But I did know him from this website and it has hit me harder than it should have....RIP Mike

• Like 1

I too haven't posted on here for a very long time,but to hear such devastating news I've decided to.Myself and my brother Phil have known Mike since our school days and know what Port Vale meant to him.I'm convinced his blood was black and white!!Many on here have already posted how important Mike was in ousting  the conmen from the Vale.For that we are eternally grateful Mike.You were a delight to listen to on P&G,at games and  Supporters Club Meetings.You are a legend Old Sage and we are all finding it very difficult to believe this horrible coronavirus  has taken away one of our finest fans.RIP Mike and our thoughts are with all your family and fellow Vale Family too.Thank you for saving Port Vale Football Club!! 

Edited by ELDERBEZZA
  • Like 5

RIP Mike 

Don't know Mike until I see a photo of him which undoubtedly there will be in a fitting Sentinel tribute. 

All the posts on here put everything into place and there wouldn't be a Port Vale without unsung heroes like Mike.

Thanks for everything you did Mike and god bless. 

Puts all the madness over missing the play offs into perspective .

• Like 1

This is such sad news, condolences to Mike's family. 

Rip Mike we Vale fans will be forever grateful to you for making sure we have a club to support. 

Edited by newchapel valiant

Really sad when a Vale supporter passes to the other side but when it is someone like Mike then that sadness is even more heartfelt. You will always be remembered Mike for everything you did in helping us rid of not one but two rogue incumbents of our great club. You will be remembered with fondness and hope you rest in peace. Also sincere condolences to his family.

• Like 2

Posted last night on the other thread but Mike deserves a bit more.

He wasnt just a website pseudonym, he put himself out there in real life, he was shouted down, spat at and called all sorts.  That never bothered Mike and he never condemned them, he simply marched on with the belief and conviction that he was doing what he thought was right, and he bloody was, both times.

Port Vale has lost a guardian and whilst his family will be rightly devastated they will also feel privileged.  I know I feel privileged to have stood with Mike on many occasion.

RIP old friend.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Doha said:

And in doing so put up a fight like you wouldn't believe to stop the scumbags from killing it. 

He scared the shlt out of Norman. I've just been laughing at his unfazed reaction to Norman making a threatening phone call to a B&G member last year screeching that the dibble were investigating us. Mike didn't give a toss and just laughed at him.  

Mike Lakin suite. Let's have it. 

I would love a pint in the Lakin, reminscing at how the big man terrorised millionaires with straight-talking and an unwavering commitment to bettering Port Vale.

Norman genuinely had nightmares about this bloke. Couldn't handle him. Would panic every time Blakeman said 'Next up is Mike, a Vale fan...'

Edited by Joe B