I’ve just been informed that sadly Old Sage has lost his battle with C-19

RIP Old Sage it was a pleasure to know you.

Edited by melv
  • Like 5

Mike was as big a character as you could wish to meet, a committed Port Vale fan, he wore his passion on his sleeve, this sad news puts football into perspective, the Vale have lost a big personality. My thoughts are with his family tonight.

Edited by blackdog
  • Thanks 1

Have some great memories of Mike making mincemeat of whatever clown was in his crosshairs at Supporters Club meetings; he'd eviscerate them with powerful, passionate, and eminently sensible protestations from the floor.

They'd start squirming as soon as Old Sage was handed the microphone. They knew they were finished.

• Like 3

Such sad news... Old Sage was vale through and through. A real gent and a thoroughly nice guy! We all owe him so much when it comes to what he did for the vale! 

• Like 1

RIP Old Sage.  A really fair and balanced poster over the years even to an imposter like me.  We’re all part of the same football family, really sorry to hear this.

• Like 1

Devastated. A true gentleman, a true character and the epitome of what being a valiant truly is. I havent posted on here in quite a while but when it comes to the passing of a man that we owe so much to in the continuing existence of our club, one of the protagonists of change against regimes of penny pinchers and tyrants, I’ll gladly make an exception. RIP Old sage, Mike, the paddock truly wont be the same without you.

7 minutes ago, Doha said:

I got an email notification sound on my phone earlier just as I was getting into my car. I said out loud to myself "hopefully that's more about Mike" as I was closing the door as there was good news sent out earlier in the week about him doing a little better.

It wasn't good.

Fcuks sake man. As Joe mentioned Mike was at every single meeting. He was responsible for the coffin march. He was an instrumental part of the B&G surgical team fighting to stop Norman disease killing the patient. I must have hundreds of impassioned emails from Mike where his unwavering commitment to the club and hatred of the damage being caused to it by the last lot is profoundly obvious in every word. 

One of the reasons we nearly went up this season, is Mike Lakin. One of the reasons we were even in a position to take the plss out of that billion pound Sergio Aguero and John Stones shower with an 8 pass move from our own box to the back of their net was Mike Lakin. How fitting that his hero Popey finished it off with a typically top drawer header. 

That isn't hyperbole. It isn't rosetinted. He was instrumental in scaring Norman out. Fact. The details will come out one day. 

That Man City goal is the best football mental I've ever had and when I think back to it from now on, in my mind I'll be dedicating it to Mike. We wouldn't have played that game without him. We very possibly might not have existed as PVFC on January 4th 2020 if it wasn't for Mike.

I'm gutted he didn't get to see promotion as a result of his efforts but I know he was delighted with the amazing progress this season and at how brilliant Kevin and Carol are. 

Nice one pal. Just opening a beer for you. 

Spot on, mate.

Every week, this bloke was on P&G, putting his name and voice out there when Norman was threatening half of us with legal action. He didn't care. If it saved the Vale, he'd walk to the Moon and back. No stress. Get it done.

Carol's just put a comment on Facebook about ensuring that the club continue Mike's legacy, and that's a comforting thought on this difficult evening.

The best thing this club can do now, is become the club Mike always believed we could be. Fully united, moving in the right direction.

Just important that we always look back and remember the work Mike did in turning the tide.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1