onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

RIP Old Sage

melv

Advert

30 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Terribly sad news.

More than many, he played his part in creating the football club we have today.

His family and close friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'll keep banging the drum on here for Tom Pope for you! Make no mistake about that.

What lovely words from all your friends and supporters above.

RIP, OS.

We owe him Nick.

Let the pages of Port Vales history give due respect to Mike Lakin, just as we do for the 'Legends of our past.

In the same way that I remember my heroes of 1954, I will always remember the 'Coffin March' on that warm and sunny day - March 31, 2011.

Terrible news. My Dad used to sit near to Mike in the Railway. My Dad moved to the Disabled Stand a few years ago but whenever they bumped into each other around the ground, they spent a few minutes putting the world to rights. A true Valiant.

I am deeply saddened and shocked by this news, like everyone else my thoughts were with Mike during his illness. My heartfelt condolencies go to his family and close friends.

Like so many other Vale fans, I was not a close friend of Mike but through his radio, OVF, speaking out during the V2001 fiasco and latterly Smurthwaite's "an evening with" meetings, I feel I know him as well as anyone in regard to our devoted love of Port Vale FC.

I listened to his every word, heartfelt, passionate, genuine and right on the button.

I attended every demo, every march, every meeting and always looked to Mike as a leader. I remember well the march and protest outside the main entrance of the Crawley game, where many ignorant Vale fans turned on us and even tried to attack his son outside. During these times many so called Vale 'rally' leaders sought personal media attention but when push came to shove there was only around 8-10 of us who stayed outside for the whole duration of the Crawley game.

I was proud to know Mike in my own way, he represented my love for the Vale and all his family along with ALL Vale fans should be proud of this man, I know I am.

RIP sir.

So sad. I met Mike through this site and then in person through the Griff charity shirts a few years back and then when he was organising the V2001 protests and meetings.  Although I knew him by sight as a regular at Vale games home and away.  Stood with him on the Crawley protest as the poster mentions above.  A great bloke who was Vale to the core. RIP owd Sage/Mike

Although I don’t participate in debates on OVF these days, I just wanted to add my condolences to all those who knew Old Sage. We are all getting older and it is obvious from the number of Valiants who have passed lately, that we won’t last forever. God’s mercy on Mike’s soul and comfort for his family. 

You always knew that you were in for an entertaining evening when Mike attended any meetings.

Never been a better guy to sum-up what football is all about. Passion, loyalty, humour and the spirit of being with folks that you’ve known (and some loved) for all of your life.

I’m not a religious person but Mike’s family should take great comfort from everything that he did and for what we will all benefit from, starting with promotion in 2021 x

Archived