onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

RIP Old Sage

melv

Advert

I too haven't posted on here for a very long time,but to hear such devastating news I've decided to.Myself and my brother Phil have known Mike since our school days and know what Port Vale meant to him.I'm convinced his blood was black and white!!Many on here have already posted how important Mike was in ousting  the conmen from the Vale.For that we are eternally grateful Mike.You were a delight to listen to on P&G,at games and  Supporters Club Meetings.You are a legend Old Sage and we are all finding it very difficult to believe this horrible coronavirus  has taken away one of our finest fans.RIP Mike and our thoughts are with all your family and fellow Vale Family too.Thank you for saving Port Vale Football Club!! 

RIP Mike 

Don't know Mike until I see a photo of him which undoubtedly there will be in a fitting Sentinel tribute. 

All the posts on here put everything into place and there wouldn't be a Port Vale without unsung heroes like Mike.

Thanks for everything you did Mike and god bless. 

Puts all the madness over missing the play offs into perspective .

Really sad when a Vale supporter passes to the other side but when it is someone like Mike then that sadness is even more heartfelt. You will always be remembered Mike for everything you did in helping us rid of not one but two rogue incumbents of our great club. You will be remembered with fondness and hope you rest in peace. Also sincere condolences to his family.

8 hours ago, Doha said:

And in doing so put up a fight like you wouldn't believe to stop the scumbags from killing it. 

He scared the shlt out of Norman. I've just been laughing at his unfazed reaction to Norman making a threatening phone call to a B&G member last year screeching that the dibble were investigating us. Mike didn't give a toss and just laughed at him.  

Mike Lakin suite. Let's have it. 

I would love a pint in the Lakin, reminscing at how the big man terrorised millionaires with straight-talking and an unwavering commitment to bettering Port Vale.

Norman genuinely had nightmares about this bloke. Couldn't handle him. Would panic every time Blakeman said 'Next up is Mike, a Vale fan...'

Words simply cannot express the sincere gratitude each and every one of Vale fans worldwide owe to Old Sage. Posters have eloquently voiced their feelings and superbly stated  facts as to why Port Vale exist this very morning, because of this one honorable, Valiant through and through bloke.

Like others I find it difficult to believe Vale Park and the many away games in the future will not be graced by his presence.

I think it's down now to us mere fans to gel together for a truly united Club, as that is what OS wanted. 

RIP old fellow, we will carry on your good work and ensure your brilliant efforts and enthusiasm are indeed rewarded.

Terribly sad news. On behalf of the OVF team I'd like to pass on my sincere condolences to Mike's family and friends who are in our thoughts right now.

As a mark of respect, I have put a short tribute to Mike on our front page - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2020/05/mike-lakin-one-of-our-own-rest-in-peace/

I would also add that Monday's live 90 minutes stream (Brighton, 94) will be dedicated to him. I hope he enjoys watching it from up there.

RIP Old Sage. Forever Valiant.

Deeply saddened to hear this news. I didn’t know Mike, only heard his calls to Radio Stoke on occasion, but was more than aware of his unwavering passion for our club and for always seeming to be doing the right thing.

His memory will live on within the club that still exists thanks in no small part to his efforts.

My thoughts are with his family. Rest in peace Old Sage

Terribly sad news.

More than many, he played his part in creating the football club we have today.

His family and close friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'll keep banging the drum on here for Tom Pope for you! Make no mistake about that.

What lovely words from all your friends and supporters above.

RIP, OS.

Don’t know where to start writing about a man such as Mike Lakin, the fact that so many old posters have returned to this site to post a tribute speaks volumes.

i had the pleasure of knowing Mike quite well and was one of the few standing outside vale park with him during the Crawley game getting dogs abuse off other so called fans, in fact one of Mikes sons got assaulted.

Port Vale has lost a true legend and as others have wrote, there might not even still be a Port Vale were it not for him.

RIP Mike Lakin, Valliant to the end.

Archived