onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

RIP Old Sage

melv

Advert

I got an email notification sound on my phone earlier just as I was getting into my car. I said out loud to myself "hopefully that's more about Mike" as I was closing the door as there was good news sent out earlier in the week about him doing a little better.

It wasn't good.

Fcuks sake man. As Joe mentioned Mike was at every single meeting. He was responsible for the coffin march. He was an instrumental part of the B&G surgical team fighting to stop Norman disease killing the patient. I must have hundreds of impassioned emails from Mike where his unwavering commitment to the club and hatred of the damage being caused to it by the last lot is profoundly obvious in every word. 

One of the reasons we nearly went up this season, is Mike Lakin. One of the reasons we were even in a position to take the plss out of that billion pound Sergio Aguero and John Stones shower with an 8 pass move from our own box to the back of their net was Mike Lakin. How fitting that his hero Popey finished it off with a typically top drawer header. 

That isn't hyperbole. It isn't rosetinted. He was instrumental in scaring Norman out. Fact. The details will come out one day. 

That Man City goal is the best football mental I've ever had and when I think back to it from now on, in my mind I'll be dedicating it to Mike. We wouldn't have played that game without him. We very possibly might not have existed as PVFC on January 4th 2020 if it wasn't for Mike.

I'm gutted he didn't get to see promotion as a result of his efforts but I know he was delighted with the amazing progress this season and at how brilliant Kevin and Carol are. 

Nice one pal. Just opening a beer for you. 

7 minutes ago, Doha said:

I got an email notification sound on my phone earlier just as I was getting into my car. I said out loud to myself "hopefully that's more about Mike" as I was closing the door as there was good news sent out earlier in the week about him doing a little better.

It wasn't good.

Fcuks sake man. As Joe mentioned Mike was at every single meeting. He was responsible for the coffin march. He was an instrumental part of the B&G surgical team fighting to stop Norman disease killing the patient. I must have hundreds of impassioned emails from Mike where his unwavering commitment to the club and hatred of the damage being caused to it by the last lot is profoundly obvious in every word. 

One of the reasons we nearly went up this season, is Mike Lakin. One of the reasons we were even in a position to take the plss out of that billion pound Sergio Aguero and John Stones shower with an 8 pass move from our own box to the back of their net was Mike Lakin. How fitting that his hero Popey finished it off with a typically top drawer header. 

That isn't hyperbole. It isn't rosetinted. He was instrumental in scaring Norman out. Fact. The details will come out one day. 

That Man City goal is the best football mental I've ever had and when I think back to it from now on, in my mind I'll be dedicating it to Mike. We wouldn't have played that game without him. We very possibly might not have existed as PVFC on January 4th 2020 if it wasn't for Mike.

I'm gutted he didn't get to see promotion as a result of his efforts but I know he was delighted with the amazing progress this season and at how brilliant Kevin and Carol are. 

Nice one pal. Just opening a beer for you. 

Spot on, mate.

Every week, this bloke was on P&G, putting his name and voice out there when Norman was threatening half of us with legal action. He didn't care. If it saved the Vale, he'd walk to the Moon and back. No stress. Get it done.

Carol's just put a comment on Facebook about ensuring that the club continue Mike's legacy, and that's a comforting thought on this difficult evening.

The best thing this club can do now, is become the club Mike always believed we could be. Fully united, moving in the right direction.

Just important that we always look back and remember the work Mike did in turning the tide.

R I P Mike

Condolences to Sue and his family. What sad sad news. Mike was a true family man.

Have known Mike for 45 years, as many may have and i have never met such a true supporter throughout all that time. Great times  we had but so many more less than great and Mike,s support would never weaken. It was a pleasure to be in his company. Whether we were playing the greats of Man city or Arsenal or Everton with Mike i would always feel confident of a victory.The Vale could never lose.Mike himself wouls also never lose. V2001, Smurf they didnt deserve to be at the Vale and Mike would ensure they went.

We can speak of great men for Port Vale. Sproson the player, Rudge the manager, i will add one more.                                                  Mike Lakin the fan. A true legend of Port Vale.

The Railway stand just wont be the  same again. Lets all give an extra shout out for the Vale at every game, for Mike.

R I P Mike  Up the Vale

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Spot on, mate.

Every week, this bloke was on P&G, putting his name and voice out there when Norman was threatening half of us with legal action. He didn't care. If it saved the Vale, he'd walk to the Moon and back. No stress. Get it done.

Carol's just put a comment on Facebook about ensuring that the club continue Mike's legacy, and that's a comforting thought on this difficult evening.

The best thing this club can do now, is become the club Mike always believed we could be. Fully united, moving in the right direction.

Just important that we always look back and remember the work Mike did in turning the tide.

A name sponsored facility at the ground. A charitable arm of the club foundation. A massive B&G 'Old Sage' flag on away days. T shirts on the opening day like with Pete. Just let me know pal and I'm there. 

I've just been going through the B&G emails. He really, really hated Norman didn't he? Brilliant. 

1 minute ago, Doha said:

A name sponsored facility at the ground. A charitable arm of the club foundation. A massive B&G 'Old Sage' flag on away days. T shirts on the opening day like with Pete. Just let me know pal and I'm there. 

I've just been going through the B&G emails. He really, really hated Norman didn't he? Brilliant. 

HE LOVED THE VALE  !!!

Just now, Sandyford_Lion said:

HE LOVED THE VALE  !!!

And in doing so put up a fight like you wouldn't believe to stop the scumbags from killing it. 

He scared the shlt out of Norman. I've just been laughing at his unfazed reaction to Norman making a threatening phone call to a B&G member last year screeching that the dibble were investigating us. Mike didn't give a toss and just laughed at him.  

Mike Lakin suite. Let's have it. 

I thought this post was going to be easier than it was.

Mike - an honest, straight talker. Scourge of many a former Port Vale board member. And rightly so. He sussed certain people very quickly, and he had the courage of his convictions to stand up and say so. Especially in the early days when that appetite wasn't universally shared amongst the wider fanbase.

He was articulate and passionate. When he got up and spoke he did it brilliantly. None more so than when he called Radio Stoke. He was a real asset to the supporters' groups.

Above all he was just a really good bloke. I know people took the mick out of him because of how much he defended Popey on here, and he didn't care about that too much, but from his point of view having a local lad like Tom in the side scoring goals and breaking records was a massive source of pride for him.

The last time I saw Mike was after one of the more recent home games, the weather had been abysmal all day and we ended up walking the same way up Hamil Road. I hadn't seen him in a while and we only had a short conversation but we were both in agreement that things were moving in the right direction finally. At the end we wished each other well and I remember walking away feeling happy we'd spoken.

It's been a pleasure to know you Mike. I'll look forward to the day we can get back to Burslem and raise a glass.

Guest Vale at home

So sorry to hear the sad news . Condolences to Mikes Family . He will be Sadly missed  at port Vale . A True VALE. Fan .  R I P . 

Getting a bit emotional reading through these brilliant posts. I really don't think I can add anything to what's been said. A brilliant bloke and the best of Valiants. He will be truly missed by all that knew him. RIP mate.

I didn't know old sage, never met him never spoke to him directly.

What I can say is that I knew of him,

Famous or infamous? Depends which side of the boardroom table you sat, how many shares you had or if you were following the March or hurling abuse.

In my view..... famous..... total dedication to vale, unwavering support for the club and its future. His actions allowed me to continue the support for my club even though I am unable to attend games. Thank you mate.

I'm sure he will still be shouting his support for the club he loves in that vale park in the sky.

In common football supporters parlance..... a legend.

Devastated. Condolences to Mike's kith and kin.

He was indeed 'all things Port Vale' - as confirmed by the many superlatives above - and I count myself fortunate to have shared a small part in his 'crusades' to save our 'Club, especially his famous 'Coffin March'...

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2012/02/rip-save-port-vale/

R.I.P Mike Lakin - Legend of Port Vale.

Archived