onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vote: which out of contract players should be retained?

robf

Which out of contract players should Port Vale retain?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which out of contract players should Port Vale retain?

• Nathan Smith
    • Shaun Brisley
    • Tom Conlon
    • Cristian Montano
    • Callum Evans
    • Jonny Maddison
    • Ryan Lloyd
    • Mark Cullen
    • Jordan Archer
    • Kieran Kennedy
    • David Amoo
    • Rhys Browne
    • Will Atkinson

Advert

Smith Brisley Amoo Montano to be offered deals 

Based on possible financial restraints. We have enough in midfield with the emergence of Burgess so I'd have to release Conlon and I get the feeling that Cullen may be a decent earner . 

1 hour ago, Andy Proctor said:

I I thought atkinson was out of contract aswell I'd probably release him aswell even though he has filled in well for us in a few games. 

Sorry, my mistake - Will Atkinson has now been added to the poll.

Under the current climate I'd say retain Smith, Conlon, Brisley, Montano and Amoo. Release the rest, though that of course is budget dependent and up to Askey's judgement. If for example Maddison has done well in training and is cheap then it might be worth keeping him on rather than to round looking for a new backup goalkeeper.

It is a hard call at the moment. If the current season remains in some form we need maximum strength and continuity to push for our own promotion.

Keep as many as we can.

If it gets scrapped, i’d be tempted to be more liberal with the releases to take advantage of getting a higher standard squad, cheaper, with all the players available.

Smith, Conlon and Amoo would be my musts.

I think the rest could be upgraded within any budget quite reasonably post Covid. 

I have a feeling they may release all out of contract players or make some creative offers to players they want to keep to reduce wages untill football starts again (etc). It would no make sense to offer 1 year deals for example if we aren't going to start the new season in August. We already know there will be lots of players at a very similar or better level available to sign very shortly.

My personal preference would be to sign up Conlon, Amoo,Monty, Cullen and of course Smith. 

1 hour ago, Surrey Vale Fan 82 said:

I have a feeling they may release all out of contract players

I'm wondering if that might be the case in the current circumstances but we'll know more tomorrow when the FL decide on what they're going to do.

If players are on furlough then it is the government who will be paying their wages although Carol said they were topping up the other 20% of the salary.

It all depends on when the new season can start with crowds in attendance. The furlough scheme will not run forever so it maybe only worth offering short contracts, either 3 months or 6 months with a proviso of an extended contract if the situation improves to allow crowds back in.

3 hours ago, Ben said:

In reality I carn't see how we can sign up any of the out of contract players we wont to with no money coming in to the coffer's

You make a good point for once. I’m unsure how the furlough scheme works if someone is out of contract then offered a deal knowing that they won’t be paid and going straight on to furlough again. In turn, how could they sigh elsewhere? 

Archived