onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carol on 5 Live/Radio 4

Iron Curtain

Advert

31 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Did anyone hear Carol on 5 Live today? Or even better have a link?

Apparently she made a comment that (unsurprisingly) the virus means that we won’t be making offers to players we ordinarily would have.

Cullen?

Monty?

Conlon?

Try this link - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08czt5n

11 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Did anyone hear Carol on 5 Live today? Or even better have a link?

Apparently she made a comment that (unsurprisingly) the virus means that we won’t be making offers to players we ordinarily would have.

Cullen?

Monty?

Conlon?

But those 3 are all good players.

i get we’ve probably got to reduce costs but a football team without players?

She’s says....“We’ve just sorted our retained list now, there are players we are letting go and also there are players we would like to sign but aren’t going to sign because we are not going to take on any more commitment until we know what the situation is”

I can imagine that players like Lloyd, Browne, Evans, Maddison, Atkinson, Archer, Kennedy will not be renewed. Not sure if a couple of those who went on loan haven’t already left us tbh. 

Question marks that IMO would fall into the bracket of players they want to sign but aren’t could be Monty, Amoo, Cullen, Conlon, Brisley, (maybe Atkinson would fall into this category)?

Theres also the Smith situation. We’ve offered him a deal, but I’m not sure if that still stands if he decides he wants to stay in the current circumstance or if we could retract it if we felt it was too much money at this time?

19 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I can imagine that players like Lloyd, Browne, Evans, Maddison, Atkinson, Archer, Kennedy will not be renewed. Not sure if a couple of those who went on loan haven’t already left us tbh. 

Question marks that IMO would fall into the bracket of players they want to sign but aren’t could be Monty, Amoo, Cullen, Conlon, Brisley, (maybe Atkinson would fall into this category)?

Theres also the Smith situation. We’ve offered him a deal, but I’m not sure if that still stands if he decides he wants to stay in the current circumstance or if we could retract it if we felt it was too much money at this time?

I could understand releasing the players in your first paragraph, and wouldn’t be against letting them go to reduce costs at this difficult time, but surely we have to retain the good first team players otherwise when we do start again we are at a big disadvantage, unless every other team does the same.

13 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I could understand releasing the players in your first paragraph, and wouldn’t be against letting them go to reduce costs at this difficult time, but surely we have to retain the good first team players otherwise when we do start again we are at a big disadvantage, unless every other team does the same.

I totally agree with you. But she says there are players they would like to sign but aren’t. IMO those in that second paragraph fall into that bracket. Look at what Colchester did recently in getting rid of some first choice players including  Nouble, Prosser Jackson and they put it down to the cost due to the crisis otherwise they’d have been offered a new deal. From our point of view I can see the retained list containing a surprise or 2 in terms of players we’ve reluctantly had to let go. 

Lots of unknowns, how many players do we need  to finish off the current season?   When will the next season start?  Periods/amounts of Govt loans,  loans from the Prem, EFL etc?  I assume most clubs will just keep a core and then augment a few weeks before the season starts. Lots of players will have to find clubs in a lower division.

Trouble is we don’t know when the league can start or in what form?

Clubs that will get promoted from league 2 will be those with the money left. So many who have big squads and financial liabilities will struggle the most. 

I suspect player wages will fall as more need jobs and will accept lower terms for security. Letting players go at this stage makes sense. 

11 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Lots of unknowns, how many players do we need  to finish off the current season?   When will the next season start?  Periods/amounts of Govt loans,  loans from the Prem, EFL etc?  I assume most clubs will just keep a core and then augment a few weeks before the season starts. Lots of players will have to find clubs in a lower division.

It is almost certain the current season will not be completed. Did Carol mean current players other than the released players wont be resigned or did she mean players we would have gone after from other clubs would not be looked at yet.

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

She’s says....“We’ve just sorted our retained list now, there are players we are letting go and also there are players we would like to sign but aren’t going to sign because we are not going to take on any more commitment until we know what the situation is”

Maybe there is a school of thought that we may go back and offer those contacts later on when things are clearer 

My own personal take from that is it means regarding new signings who play for other clubs at the moment. Not our own out of contract players .

Almost an impossible situation for all clubs to make new signings etc until we get a final definitive resolution 

I don't think they are any nearer to knowing than they were a month ago. 

6 hours ago, PV1973 said:

The usual level-headed, sensible comment we'd expect from Carol.  What else can anyone say?  It's like driving blindfolded through fog currently and so, so difficult to predict with any certainty what the outcomes are going to be!  Is this season going to finish?  Are all games even going into the start of next season, going to be played behind closed doors?  If so, what is the effect on revenue in those circumstances?  What expenditure can we therefore afford?  And what numbers of back room staff and playing strength will that give us?   All clubs, not only PV are facing this massive challenging conundrum.

Even knowing the answers to all those questions, it's going to be very difficult to construct a sensible business paln and budget.  Not having those answers, makes it a game of guesses at very best and blindman's buff at worst.  I've been in business all my working life, have been through recessions, the 3-day week etc., but never seen or experienced anything like this.  In all honesty I'm glad I'm not having to come up with these decisions.  Good luck to Carol & Kevin--we're all behind you whatever you decide, and thank God it's not Norman we're relying on! 

Archived