onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Joe Davis column - For the boo boys

https://medium.com/@josephsdavis6/are-our-young-footballers-psychologically-prepared-to-cope-with-the-rigours-of-the-english-game-d91f48250f5

Great article about the mental struggles in the game.

A must read for the idiotic boo boys who single out our own players and systematically target them with abuse on social media.

I have said to many of Twitter that I can’t understand what good they think it does. It doesn’t help the player and therefore doesn’t help Port Vale.

I often get in response... I do it because I can. When I try and engage in a discussion around that fact that I know they can do it... but WHY... I get told to F off.

I fear a lack of understanding is the issue.

Advert

6 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

https://medium.com/@josephsdavis6/are-our-young-footballers-psychologically-prepared-to-cope-with-the-rigours-of-the-english-game-d91f48250f5

Great article about the mental struggles in the game.

A must read for the idiotic boo boys who single out our own players and systematically target them with abuse on social media.

I have said to many of Twitter that I can’t understand what good they think it does. It doesn’t help the player and therefore doesn’t help Port Vale.

I often get in response... I do it because I can. When I try and engage in a discussion around that fact that I know they can do it... but WHY... I get told to F off.

I fear a lack of understanding is the issue.

More likely a lack of brain cells.

What an articulate person Joe Davis is

And the other thing that stares out is the decency and wisdom of the referee in how he handled Davis's conduct in the Crewe game. Many are quick to criticize the awfulness of many referees whom unfortunately inhabit the lower leagues, but in this particular instance that seems definitely not to be the case. Contrast the conduct here with that of the happy-card-waver when the Vale played Forest Green

Points-with-Bone

I think Joe Davis had a number done on him by his dad. Crewe targeted him that game in an attempt to get into his head. 

I actually didn't blame him and was happy to have him in the team. When he left to go to Leicester I wished him well but it was a mistake regardless of getting his confidence back. 

4 minutes ago, Emile said:

I think Joe Davis had a number done on him by his dad. Crewe targeted him that game in an attempt to get into his head. 

I actually didn't blame him and was happy to have him in the team. When he left to go to Leicester I wished him well but it was a mistake regardless of getting his confidence back. 

You are right about his dad.  I remember him brandishing imaginary cards and berating the officials in an attempt to get him sent off.  maybe he should have a good read of this article, and consider what affects his actions had on his son?  He said something at the time along the lines of,  " it's football, not personnel, i was being professional for my club".   Looks good now eh Steve?  MA was dead right to take him off, he would definitely have been sent off.  Agreed re good refereeing. 

I thought Davis was quite a tidy centre half, enough to warrant a move to a Premier League club who won the title the following season. There was clearly something.

Alas, Aspin ruined him by playing a slow centre back reliant on a reading of the game at right back. He was poor, probably lost confidence, and quit the game.

He definitely wasn't bad. Leicester had an elite scouting team at the time (Kante, Mahrez, Vardy etc). I'm not saying that means they were right to sign him but they definitely saw some potential to warrant the acquisition.

Archived