onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Help required with research

ITMAN

Hi, I am doing some research into what effects moving to regional divisions would have on the EFL clubs, mainly Div 1 and Div2 as well as the National League sides. Part of this work involves comparing the number of away spectators at each game. I am struggling to get any information for Port Vale's home games this season and wondered if any of you could either provide me with a link to somewhere or be able to provide them from a program or something. Most clubs seem to list them in there.

Advert

Northampton 500

Burton 277 league cup

Forest green 104

Cambridge 236

Shrewsbury 146 checkatrade trophy

Plymouth 735

Mansfield 679 

Mansfield 104 checkatrade trophy

Morecambe 111

Stevenage 136

Oldham 505 

Newcastle under 21s 23 checkatrade trophy 

Carlise 343

Walsall 655 

Cheltenham 196

Swindon 861

Macclesfield 452 

Leyton orient 327

Exeter 198

Salford 310

Colchester 126

Scunthorpe 275

Those are the figures nobody brought over a 1000 to us. 

1 hour ago, Andy Proctor said:

Northampton 500

Burton 277 league cup

Forest green 104

Cambridge 236

Shrewsbury 146 checkatrade trophy

Plymouth 735

Mansfield 679 

Mansfield 104 checkatrade trophy

Morecambe 111

Stevenage 136

Oldham 505 

Newcastle under 21s 23 checkatrade trophy 

Carlise 343

Walsall 655 

Cheltenham 196

Swindon 861

Macclesfield 452 

Leyton orient 327

Exeter 198

Salford 310

Colchester 126

Scunthorpe 275

Those are the figures nobody brought over a 1000 to us. 

Thank you everyone that is a great help. I will post the results when I have done the full dataset. I am then doing a split of the teams in each division North/South and showing how the average away support is much lower for Southern teams going North and vice versa. If you add in the bonus that traveling expenses for every team, and supporters, would be less then it is a reasonable assumption that regionalised divisions would lead to higher attendances.

Doesn't necessarily work that way ITMAN .

Morecambe, Salford, Macclesfield, Accrington are all relatively easy to reach but have no fan base really. 

Their away support is pretty abysmal. Plymouth in one visit would probably beat the 4 of them added together. 

I get totally about costs and finances but being closer doesn't automatically mean decent away support.

One of our best following ( possibly the best given distance etc ) was in London for Leyton Orient. 

Doesn't appeal to me but others will no doubt like the sound of it 

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Morecambe, Salford, Macclesfield, Accrington are all relatively easy to reach but have no fan base really. 

Their away support is pretty abysmal. Plymouth in one visit would probably beat the 4 of them added together. 

I get totally about costs and finances but being closer doesn't automatically mean decent away support.

One of our best following ( possibly the best given distance etc ) was in London for Leyton Orient. 

Darren, I agree with the points you make, it is surprising that even when you take the Northern clubs as a group there are still some teams who have a very small fan base, despite where their teams are in the league. I follow Halifax Town and take Harrogate, they are the nearest rival team yet only bring 88 to the game at the Shay. Admittedly, this was for a mid-week game, and I am trying to take this into account by comparing the away support for the season before if the corresponding game was played on a Sat. I also factor in if the games were played on Bank Holidays, as this also tends to lead to higher attendances.

At the same time you get the odd team such as Plymouth, whose fans travel in large numbers despite the distances, in the NL we see this with Notts County, Stockport and Torquay, maybe the common denominator is that these are ex-EFL clubs. As you point out regarding Leyton Orient, I am seeing a trend across the board for teams supporters to want a trip to the Big Smoke as it tends to be a weekend away.

A pipe dream I know, but ideally, I would like to see a merger between the National League Northern teams with those from EFL Div 2. This would bring back most of the traditional local derby games such as those against Bradford and Oldham, which would without doubt increase the away support. As I gather the rest of the numbers and take into account the mid-week and BH factors then it will show the tends better.

As with all research it will throw up some teams who would see an improvement and some who it makes little difference to. 

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I feel Accrington and Morecambe are miracle clubs. They have sustained league status when they require just extraordinarily good management of every aspect of the club with low inherent supporter base to do that. To me they have a special status. 

My quote was merely about away support Warren , I don't dispute they are punching above their weight massively. 

What I was saying is that for a regionalised division they would bring dreadful followings so it isn't as black and white as being closer gives a better chance of a good crowd. 

Currently  7  teams are promoted,  possibly  14 in the running as against 2 or 4 promoted  depending  whether an improvement on the single promotion place is made. Thus fewer in the running ,  so more teams have less to play for which would affect the gates.   If there is a need to go  regional, why not include the National League and have North, South, and Midland divisions?  

Archived