Sign in to follow this  
ollyandpatch

John Ridley

One of my dads favourite players of this era. I remember John from my first season in 1975. A stand out player along with Brian Horton.

So sad to hear of John's passing RIP John.

Class act on and off the pitch.

Another sad day! It was no surprise he moved to Leicester...although my memory had him going to Spurs, for about £40K? Obviously not!!

On 03/05/2020 at 03:57, Paul6754 said:

Good grief, he was an excellent player for the Vale. Always remember his goal vs Arnold in an FA Cup replay in the late 70's at Vale Park, Vale were losing either 2-1 or drawing 2-2 and from near the touchline on the Railway Stand side he curled in a beauty with his right foot at the Bycars end, it changed the whole game and Vale went onto win 5-2. It was important 'cause Vale were being given the run around at VP by a lower non league team who we could only manage a draw  with the previous Saturday.

I think Vale received a sizable fee when he moved on.

Very sad news and he was so young.

I remember interviewing John in VPB 92  a few years ago. He was a great storyteller who loved his time at VP. He recalled his goal against Arnold and said it was one of  the most  important goals  in his whole careeer, that's how important it was.

He had loads of stories, one I remember was when Bill Bell asked 'Are you OK Ally?' John replied 'I'm fine thanks Mr Bell, but I'm not Ally Brown.'

Not forgetting his time in the USA, playing alongside Gordon Banks and George Best and what they got up to, in their spare time.

RIP mate and thanks for the memories.

Edited by DickDale
  • Like 2

Gutted to hear this - I worked with John in my first year in teaching at what was then Chell High School. He was respected as a teacher and he was kind and supportive to me, knowing that I was a Vale fan. It was a delight and an honour to play in the staff team with him. He will be sadly missed. My condolences to him and his family. 

4 hours ago, DickDale said:

He had loads of stories, one I remember was when Bill Bell asked 'Are you OK Ally?' John replied 'I'm fine thanks Mr Bell, but I'm not Ally Brown.'

I heard that!  It was outside Upton Park when we played West Ham in the Cup in the mid 80s.

Great player for the Vale and what a fine career as a part-timer. Really impressed reading his sons' account of his life. RIP, John - you gave us many fine moments.

What a lovely thread.

Young 'uns of course won't remember him but for someone who played for us 35 years ago to see the esteem in which he is is still held is a wonderful testimony of Vale fans' affection.

• Like 1