onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best opposition player seen at Vale Park?

robf

I'm slightly off-topic here, but my mates laugh at me whenever I mention the best live performance I've seen from an opposition player vs the Vale.

Aguero, B Silva, D Silva, Gundogan, Davids, Defoe, Berbatov.

All paled in comparison to Dickson Etuhu, who looked like peak Xavi when we lost 6-0 to Fulham. Genuinely never been more impressed with a footballer in my life. He was subbed off at about 60 minutes but it was genuinely like a professional playing against an u12s side.

Advert

5 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

Sorry but he cheated all day long, very frustrating.

Yes, I'm 100% with you on Owen cheating. It is interesting because I remember going to watch Liverpool play a pre-season game against Inter Milan at Anfield and Owen came on as a 16 year old sub. And that sticks with me because he was and remains the fastest player I have ever seen play. He had absolutely stunning speed over say 10 yards at that age. It is really unfortunate that a lot of his career was blighted by injury and gradually took that away. He remained a good finisher, but Owen was not inherently a tricky dribbler and his threat was darting in the box or pushing the ball past people and running after or catching through balls similar to the way Vardy does. I felt conned by his performance at Port Vale though. 

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

Wasn't for that game, but to underline the level of Genoa, John van t'Schip came off the bench for them.

He won the 87 Cup Winners Cup for Ajax, playing alongside Rjikaard and van Basten, and the 92 Uefa Cup alongside Bergkamp and de Boer.

He got 40 caps for the Netherlands in the late 80s and 90s. Came off the bench against the Vale.

Indeed. We'd beaten a similar side to this in a friendly a couple of seasons earlier, in front of quite a big crowd as I recall.

7 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Indeed. We'd beaten a similar side to this in a friendly a couple of seasons earlier, in front of quite a big crowd as I recall.

Not according to Bill “back pocket” Bell. That match and the Arsenal game are the finest examples of creative accountancy that you could wish to see. 

But back on topic Bergkamp is the best player to ever play on these shores let alone against the Vale, closely followed by David Silva. 

4 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Not according to Bill “back pocket” Bell. That match and the Arsenal game are the finest examples of creative accountancy that you could wish to see. 

But back on topic Bergkamp is the best player to ever play on these shores let alone against the Vale, closely followed by David Silva. 

Joycey had Silva in his back pocket at the Etihad 😉

On 30/04/2020 at 21:23, TJHValiant said:

I would imagine, respectfully, the best ever player at Vale Park would have been Sir Stanley Matthews when he played for Blackpool in our FA cup win. 

my memory of Mathews at this game was him running off the pitch as fast has he could not shaking players hands and refusing to sign an autograph!  yeh respect, (see photo)

0_Matthews-Vale-Blackpool.jpg

31 minutes ago, Warren said:

If Paterson actually hated the Vale, then him getting into our worst ever team would be a fitting return tribute. And with justification. 

Good point Wozza, can I change my vote rob?

Archived