onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best opposition player seen at Vale Park?

robf

Advert

Robbie Keene playing for Wolves against us at Vale Park.

Mental. No one could get the ball off him and he just ran through us when it suited him

Andy Townsend played ace against us when we drew Norwich in the cup years ago as well.

Scored a goal running from midfield and lobbed Grewy from miles out

Both different gravy

59 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

In the friendly we played against Genoa to celebrate promotion. I remember someone, who I THINK was Thomas Skuhravy kicking small footballs into the Paddock. Some bloke near the back row shouted out for one and Skuhravy, nonchalantly looked up, acknowledged him and delicately chipped one straight into his hands... millimetre perfect! I also cant remember who hit the bar for them that day, it may have been Marco Nappi... but the bar was still shaking about 5 mins later it was such a powerful effort!!

Reminds me of the Anglo-Italian final where we got completely outplayed by Genoa. 0-5 down after an hour but thankfully Martin Foyle grabbed a couple of consolation goals to save us from total humiliation.

I think that was the best 60 minute display I've ever seen from any team that has ever played us. Men against boys. Their movement and speed was different class. We couldn't get near them.

Their two forwards were brilliant. Montella and Ruotolo who got a hat-trick. Can I change my mind and vote for him? 

The great thing about that day was even though we'd been soundly thrashed by a magnificent technically gifted team, way above our level, the Vale fans stayed behind and gave their boys the standing ovation they deserved. I've never been a prouder Vale fan - even in defeat.

Not necessarily the best every player, but I think the best and most influential performance.  FA Cup 1989 home to Norwich, they were top of what is now the Premier League.  We led 1-0 at half time, a screamer from Alan Webb.  Andy Townsend took us on virtually single handed in the second half and we lost 3-1.  He was unplayable that day.

13 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Reminds me of the Anglo-Italian final where we got completely outplayed by Genoa. 0-5 down after an hour but thankfully Martin Foyle grabbed a couple of consolation goals to save us from total humiliation.

I think that was the best 60 minute display I've ever seen from any team that has ever played us. Men against boys. Their movement and speed was different class. We couldn't get near them.

Their two forwards were brilliant. Montella and Ruotolo who got a hat-trick. Can I change my mind and vote for him? 

The great thing about that day was even though we'd been soundly thrashed by a magnificent technically gifted team, way above our level, the Vale fans stayed behind and gave their boys the standing ovation they deserved. I've never been a prouder Vale fan - even in defeat.

I don't recall the Genoa players impressing all that much during the home game, but it was like we were playing a completely different team in the final.  Unreal.

I'd have to echo the sentiments of others by chosing Bergkamp, but if I was chosing an opposition player from the same level we were playing at, at the time, I'd go with Stein, as much as it pains me.

11 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I don't recall the Genoa players impressing all that much during the home game, but it was like we were playing a completely different team in the final.  Unreal.

I'd have to echo the sentiments of others by chosing Bergkamp, but if I was chosing an opposition player from the same level we were playing at, at the time, I'd go with Stein, as much as it pains me.

Wasn't for that game, but to underline the level of Genoa, John van t'Schip came off the bench for them.

He won the 87 Cup Winners Cup for Ajax, playing alongside Rjikaard and van Basten, and the 92 Uefa Cup alongside Bergkamp and de Boer.

He got 40 caps for the Netherlands in the late 80s and 90s. Came off the bench against the Vale.

I don't know about him being the best player, but for best performance I remember seeing willie carr aged 16 playing for Coventry youth team against the vale infront of 11000 crowd at vale park.he was superb in midfield and ran the game, very mature for his  age.

10 minutes ago, geoff1 said:

I don't know about him being the best player, but for best performance I remember seeing willie carr aged 16 playing for Coventry youth team against the vale infront of 11000 crowd at vale park.he was superb in midfield and ran the game, very mature for his  age.

I remember that game well,  but Mick Cullerton eclipsed him on the day, and we won 3-1.  The crowd was not 11,000, the 11,000 crowd for that season's youth team was the quarter final against Scunthorpe.  The Coventry game got over 5,000 though, which was pretty damn healthy.  I agree your observation that he was mature for his age and he clearly stood out.  It is all about opinion, of course, but I  stick with my thought that Mick Cullerton outshone him that day.

42 minutes ago, Essex Vale said:

Not necessarily the best every player, but I think the best and most influential performance.  FA Cup 1989 home to Norwich, they were top of what is now the Premier League.  We led 1-0 at half time, a screamer from Alan Webb.  Andy Townsend took us on virtually single handed in the second half and we lost 3-1.  He was unplayable that day.

Good call! I remember that game well and he did take us apart. There's a video clip on the OVF YouTube channel here - 

Townsend was amazing in that Vale vs Norwich game, I still remember the 3rd goal (His 2nd).

Other opposition  player I always remember was a young Kenny Sansom playing for Crystal Palace in the late 70's at Vale Park, even though Vale won 4-1 he was a different class.

Archived