onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best opposition player seen at Vale Park?

robf

I think we may have had this before but I wanted to revive it. The answers will hopefully form part of a future front page feature for this site.

Who is the best opposition player you have seen face the Valiants?

For me, it was Dennis Bergkamp who was just effortlessly classy in that Arsenal replay. His goal was breathtaking.

Any other nominations?

Advert

I always recall Ian Bishop coming on as sub for West Ham at Vale Park, after we'd dominated the first half but failed to score, and taking us apart. It was only 0-1 but he totally controlled midfield. Two different halves. Think it was 90-91 season.

Not sure that makes him the best we've ever seen but it was a game changing performance.

1 hour ago, Valiant62 said:

Who was the Plymouth guy who single handedly destroyed us and got applauded as he came off? Frio or something.

1-5 He scored two that day and i recall at least 3 of their goals were absolute screamers including one of his. Think was David Friio 

Didn't Roy Keane play centre half in that young United team that we played in the league cup years ago?

He was like a tank or a brick wall. Strong. Determined. Did nothing spectacular but guided the United boys through the game.

I think Paul Stewart scored 4 against us when we lost to Blackpool at the Vale one year 1-6?

If we sat down and went through all the games we have seen a few excellent displays against us (sadly!)

Frio is a good shout. I too remember him running rings round us. And Bergkamp's first touch and shot.

1 hour ago, robf said:

I think we may have had this before but I wanted to revive it. The answers will hopefully form part of a future front page feature for this site.

Who is the best opposition player you have seen face the Valiants?

For me, it was Dennis Bergkamp who was just effortlessly classy in that Arsenal replay. His goal was breathtaking.

Any other nominations?

I would have gone for Bergkamp as well Rob,

Also remember Martin Foyle playing for Oxford at vp and thinking,why can’t we sign someone like that?

Bit of a more recent one, but a young Callum Wilson looked a class above for Coventry and scored a great solo goal.

Gone on to play 100 Premier League games and scored 40ish goals, as well as being capped a few times for England. Would have done more if not for injuries.

Obviously not in the class of Bergkamp, Keane, or Kinkladze but the only one I can pick out from the last decade or so.

Not necessarily the best player I’ve seen against us, but the best individual performance would be from Joey Barton. 

Yes it was only a friendly against Citeh at Vale, but Barton scored all the goals in a 3-0 win.

He carried a lot of baggage and often got labeled as such, but it should not be forgotten that he was a fine footballer. 

That was the first time I had seen him live and he opened my eyes to what a good player he was.

54 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Georgi Kinkladze for Man City has to be up there. Rudge decided not to go man-for-man on him (should have done as that was what Andy Porter was best at) and as a result Kinkladze just tore us apart.

Great shout.

Best player - Bergkamp

But best performance - without doubt the performance that stands out in my mind is Reice Charles-cook in goal for Coventry... That save is still one of the best I have seen live!

Other stand outs:

- I always remember Michael Bridges having an amazing game for Sunderland against us.

- In the friendly we played against Genoa to celebrate promotion. I remember someone, who I THINK was Thomas Skuhravy kicking small footballs into the Paddock. Some bloke near the back row shouted out for one and Skuhravy, nonchalantly looked up, acknowledged him and delicately chipped one straight into his hands... millimetre perfect! I also cant remember who hit the bar for them that day, it may have been Marco Nappi... but the bar was still shaking about 5 mins later it was such a powerful effort!!

Archived