onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nominate your worst Port Vale strikers

robf

Advert

14 hours ago, rayzer said:

Martin Henderson is nailed on and for me the second spot has to be Danny Glover as I don't believe that he would have had a professional career if he wasn't Dean Glover's son who was very well in with Peter Jackson which got Dean the manager's post.

Martin Paterson for me. Never wanted to play for the club. I remember a few years before him saying how much he hates vale and would never play for them. Then somehow ends up joining and it was almost self sabotage. 

I grew up playing with Danny Glover. He was head and shoulder above us when playing under 12's. Used to run rings round everyone in the league. There was something there, but obviously not enough to be a full time professional footballer. Shame really.

From the 70's -

Derek Brownbill played a lot of games to little effect

John Allen big but pretty useless

John Frogatt - why did we pay a fee and how did we get some of the money back!

1980s

Les Lawrence - always looked ok at Torquay did nothing for us, not sure if he played 10 games

1990s

Marcus Bent - a bit like Ricky Miller a good player who never justified his fee for us and looked disinterested in being at Vale. I suspect he was a negative influence in the dressing room. Poor signing with hindsight, not helped by sacking Rudge as soon as we signed him. Maybe if we'd kept Rudge!

2000s

Simon Eldershaw - always looked too lightweight

2010s

Achille Campion - everyone's favorite until they saw him play

Last season

Scott Quigley - didn't do much

Ricky Miller - for the fee we paid got pretty much the same goals return as big Reggie. Not the worst forward but his overall behaviour was negative for the team I suspect. With hindsight a poor signing.

The others I could think of have been mentioned.

Nathan Lowndes did nothing at Vale

2nd would be Marcus Bent simply because he was not interested in Vale and probably didn't want the move in the first place. Strange he left for the same fee he arrived for. We missed out on millions and never saw his ability - 'strange' deal to say the least.

Danny Glover was no striker

19 hours ago, rayzer said:

Martin Henderson is nailed on and for me the second spot has to be Danny Glover as I don't believe that he would have had a professional career if he wasn't Dean Glover's son who was very well in with Peter Jackson which got Dean the manager's post.

Agree entirely with these two choices.

Seeing as Tobias Mikaelson or however you spell it is getting a mention can anybody on here remember the infamous signing Rudgie made on loan of Christophe Horlaville, i think he came from France and i definitely remember him playing against Sunderland. He arrived around a similar time as another gem Robin Bernsten.

Rudge was unequalled with his astuteness and great signings , but he did have one or two howlers as all managers do.

1. Henderson

2. Glover 

A real spoilt for choice section. Kyle Perry for me. He would never, ever score a goal. He missed so much, was slow and basically spent the whole Match following whoever was marking him. Utterly the worst standard of player to ever play for the club. 

Danny Glover gets a close 2nd for me. 

Eldershaw 3rd. 

Paterson was dreadful but showed vague signs that he had been a footballer at some point. 

Campion oddly was never a striker in my eyes. He should have been tried in a more attacking centre mid role as I was fond of him being keen on running with the ball. His biggest failing was not having a clue how to find a position to take advantage of changes. 

Anyone mentioning Constantine is a fool. The guy is a club legend who at the time had the best first touch of any striker I had seen outside the top flight. 

16 hours ago, toyahw said:

I'd give Perry a pass, on the grounds he was often shoved out to the wing. And he did try.

Other than that I would not argue with any of the picks. Husbands was the one most guaranteed to look the part then screw things up.

Surprised Constantine hasn't come up. He certainly was never popular in the Lorne St. Never heard a player take so much stick. 

Classic Lorne.

Lad bags 27 in a season but thats irrelevant if he isn't charging around the pitch to minimal impact.

Some fans obsession with players 'looking busy' by needlessly expending energy chasing lost causes, as opposed to actually delivering a tangible output, is infuriating. Naming no members of the current squad as examples.

Mikaelsson, Paterson, Gall, Guy and Moore for me. 

Paterson, should have done something at Vale, I had seen him play many times for Burnley and he was a decent player in leagues above. The only reason he failed must have been he didn't have the legs or heart anymore. He never struck me as a player who didn't have heart, so I presume the legs had gone. No other explanation for it.

I get why people disliked Reggie, but there were a few games where he made a difference (Mainly because, if he didn't know what he was doing, how did the opposition?!) and that separates himself from the 5 above. 

Archived