onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nominate your worst Port Vale strikers

robf

Advert

So many to choose from. Ian Lawson certainly did not live up to his reputation, Mel Charles was probably the biggest disappointment ever. Geoff Davies was, well poor.  I am surprised to see Ken Wookey mentioned, at the beginning he was pretty decent but then petered out. Tobias Mikkaelson was dire.  Jamie Guy, as already mentioned, poor player and not a nice character. Kyle Perry did not succeed but he tried hard and was a good team man.

However, the worse in terms of attitude, performance, disrespecter of the fans,  and a nightmare for the manager is Martin Henderson. His behaviour towards Port Vale was wholly unacceptable he did not deserve to be a professional footballer. As for the others, would not argue with so many but if pushed would plump for Jamie Guy.

Martin Henderson is nailed on and for me the second spot has to be Danny Glover as I don't believe that he would have had a professional career if he wasn't Dean Glover's son who was very well in with Peter Jackson which got Dean the manager's post.

Kyle Perry. 33 games no goals. Got moved out to the left wing. Same stock as Slater. Couldn't trap a bag of cement in back to goal hold up play. Showed no signs of scoring when facing forward. Then I will go for Danny Glover. There are worse players than him, but I pick him because he kept getting selected and he didn't improve as a young player and the situation became extremely frustrating. There are many others; Reggie gets mentioned but I could cope with him as a sub. He just didn't seem able to deliver a full game at all. 

Reggie and Rekeil Pyke for me. Reggie was 6' 4" or something like but I always remember one of the BBC Vale match summarisers saying, "When he jumps for the ball his number is higher than his head". Pyke came with such high hopes and looked good pre-season but for whatever reason it didn't happen for him at vale.

I'd give Perry a pass, on the grounds he was often shoved out to the wing. And he did try.

Other than that I would not argue with any of the picks. Husbands was the one most guaranteed to look the part then screw things up.

Surprised Constantine hasn't come up. He certainly was never popular in the Lorne St. Never heard a player take so much stick. 

9 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I'd give Perry a pass, on the grounds he was often shoved out to the wing. And he did try.

Other than that I would not argue with any of the picks. Husbands was the one most guaranteed to look the part then screw things up.

Surprised Constantine hasn't come up. He certainly was never popular in the Lorne St. Never heard a player take so much stick. 

Maybe because he was a goal machine for us?

Christ!

16 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Maybe because he was a goal machine for us?

Christ!

Didn't seem to cut much mustard at the time where I was mate. Yes it was tongue in cheek. No problem. Great player for us that season. Never understood the stick he got. Sorry for any confusion.

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

Simply has to be Reggie.

I took 5 Uni friends to our game away to Coventry; we got the train from Brum to the Ricoh and sat in a 95% empty stadium as the Vale crumbled to a 2-1 defeat.

My friends were English, French, Malaysian, male, female, football nuts and novices, fans of Manchester United, Lincoln City, and Bolton Wanderers.

They were unanimous in that Rigino Cicilia was THE worst professional footballer they had ever seen in their life. It was comical.

Martin Paterson, Danny Glover, and Tobias Mikkaelson get the Champions League places.

Tyrone Barnett was quite poor too.

Whilst Hooper was a bottlejob there was undoubted talent, just a woeful attitude. Gall was poor but I saw his debut away at Macc (?) and thought he looked rather tasty. Calvin Andrew was never a striker but was a promotion winner with 22 games that year, and has carved out a very decent (if profligate) League 1 career since, so I personally wouldn't include him.

It feels harsh but the entire saga of Carlos 'I've seen him on Youtube and he will take League 1 by storm' Saleiro is worth a mention; arrived overweight, played in a loss away at Carlisle in the JPT, went home, and retired at 30, 5 years removed from playing 39 games for a massive club like Sporting Lisbon.

I'd honestly have Reggie back before any of the others you've named and I'm saying that having attended the Cov game too. Martin Paterson is hands down my vote. I've never been so angered by a player being so bad as him.

Gall and Guy are good shouts too.

Archived