Sign in to follow this  
robf

Match thread (replay): Port Vale v Stoke City, 1992

Funny how time plays tricks with the memory, I was convinced it was a Regis back pass that got stuck in the puddle for Foyle to run on to for the third.

12 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Porter had a great game.

We had some wonderful players then didn't we?

Martin Foyle was a superb centre forward.

Yeah, we did. Ray Walker (legend) getting stuck in there as well. Don't remember that as part of his game.

One team playing football though. The other trying to kick the oppo into intensive care. No prizes for guessing who. Thought the ref had a decent game.

2 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Yeah, we did. Ray Walker (legend) getting stuck in there as well. Don't remember that as part of his game.

One team playing football though. The other trying to kick the oppo into intensive care. No prizes for guessing who. Thought the ref had a decent game.

In today’s game sjoke would have had 2 red cards.

the Foley assault on Aspo is one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

The strange thing about the Foley “legbreaker” was that he wasn’t actually that type of player. Shows what the adrenaline of a full bloodied derby can do.

But that was football at its best !  The atrocious weather only enhanced the spectacle ! 

27 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

The strange thing about the Foley “legbreaker” was that he wasn’t actually that type of player.

The last I heard of him he was on trial in Scotland after being caught in a drugs raid with a large quantity of cash in a carrier bag and an even bigger quantity of heroin. His two mates got sent down but he got off with that 'not proven' verdict thing they have up there. 

My favourite game this.

First time I'd ever been to a derby.  I was 11 then and all my mates were stoke fans.  The "banter" back then had convinced me that vale were small beer and that stoke inevitably just rolled us over when we played.

I don't remember euphoria like it.  Even Wembley.

• Like 1

Thanks for showing the game rob. Both foley and beeston should have been sent off in the first 20 minutes awful tackles. If that game had been played now it would have been abandoned I reckon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eh up nah said:

My favourite game this.

First time I'd ever been to a derby.  I was 11 then and all my mates were stoke fans.  The "banter" back then had convinced me that vale were small beer and that stoke inevitably just rolled us over when we played.

I don't remember euphoria like it.  Even Wembley.

It was a tremendous night, first time we had beaten them in the FA Cup, after being knocked out 3 times, the first time in 1887 before the Football League was founded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Proctor said:

Thanks for showing the game rob. Both foley and beeston should have been sent off in the first 20 minutes awful tackles. 

Totally agree Andy and it seemed to be policy to kick Ray Walker out of the game. 

12 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

Totally agree Andy and it seemed to be policy to kick Ray Walker out of the game. 

What a fantastic player Ray Walker was. It's a pity there aren't many clips from the late 80's when he was in his pomp to show. 

Rob, I know you said you did not have the ninety minutes v spurs, and presumably the idea is a two hour event, but could you put highlights/clips of that cup run together to make an event? Extended highlights of spurs and Watford, plus goals from Macclesfield etc. Sure it would be popular. Appreciate it might be too much work/time. Loved these Monday night games myself.  Thanks.

11 hours ago, robf said:

What a fantastic player Ray Walker was. It's a pity there aren't many clips from the late 80's when he was in his pomp to show. 

Yeah. I always had him down as a fancy dan. But he put a right shift in in that game. As well as running the show. And as you say he was past his peak at that time. Great player for us. I was wrong.

Edited by toyahw