onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bennett

Daddy Vale

Advert

Yeah, I did speculate on that when it happened. As well as the folly of Nathan Smith running his contract down. Lad might have to go on the dole for a year or two whilst we wait for a vaccine. Well, that's the risk you take when you turn down contract offers in the hope of getting more money as a free agent signing.

2 hours ago, Wrex said:

Yeah, I did speculate on that when it happened. As well as the folly of Nathan Smith running his contract down. Lad might have to go on the dole for a year or two whilst we wait for a vaccine. Well, that's the risk you take when you turn down contract offers in the hope of getting more money as a free agent signing.

I'm prepared to give any odds Nathan Smith will not be on the dole next season. Whether the current situation means he is more likely to stay is a more debatable question.  I suspect he will move to a richer club, he he does leave. So in his case I don't think much has changed. The players who will be impacted are the journeymen players just outside the first team and the ones at the 10 or so clubs with gates under 3000.

6 minutes ago, JRC said:

I'm prepared to give any odds Nathan Smith will not be on the dole next season. Whether the current situation means he is more likely to stay is a more debatable question.  I suspect he will move to a richer club, he he does leave. So in his case I don't think much has changed. The players who will be impacted are the journeymen players just outside the first team and the ones at the 10 or so clubs with gates under 3000.

Let's hope so because that means football will be not that badly affected. I'm worried about the possibility of no games being played in front of fans for the next year or so and lower league clubs opting to mothball rather than play games at a loss.

2 hours ago, JRC said:

This. He’ll be snapped up by another club once this season ends and if the season carries on past June I can’t see us not giving players like him a temporary contract for us to see the season out. The players that should be more concerned should be the Ryan Lloyd’s of this world. 

Whatever the situation with Covid, the Bennett move was still good business. We got money for a player we signed for free and he probably wouldn't have been a great deal of use to us. As regards players out of contract, it is going to be really difficult for them. The finances of EFL clubs especially in L1 and L2 are going to be dire if this carries on throughout the year. Where will the money come from to sign new players? If they are on furlough can they then sign for someone else then go back on furlough? If clubs go bust there will be lots of players who will never play in the league again. hopefully we can ride out the storm and maybe the situation may help us in signing players like Clarke and Taylor as their clubs may want to slim down their wage bills.

On 25/04/2020 at 17:41, mbycars said:

Whatever the situation with Covid, the Bennett move was still good business. We got money for a player we signed for free and he probably wouldn't have been a great deal of use to us. As regards players out of contract, it is going to be really difficult for them. The finances of EFL clubs especially in L1 and L2 are going to be dire if this carries on throughout the year. Where will the money come from to sign new players? If they are on furlough can they then sign for someone else then go back on furlough? If clubs go bust there will be lots of players who will never play in the league again. hopefully we can ride out the storm and maybe the situation may help us in signing players like Clarke and Taylor as their clubs may want to slim down their wage bills.

I was under the impression that people who were employed on a specific date could be furloughed under the government scheme. When a players contract comes to an end he cannot say he his permanently employed as he is looking for work. So he would be like any other Job Seeker, who I don't believe are covered under the furlough scheme . The problem all Clubs and players have is that the GOOD players will be able to move and will still command decent, though possibly not what they wished for, salaries. Those that are still under contract and not likely to command a higher wage anywhere else, will try and keep the contract they have,but may be encouraged to renegotiate it to help the club, and maybe an incentive that if done could lead to a contract extension. Then that brings us to the ones clubs want to get rid off or lets just say arn't too fussed  about.  I cant see any alternative for these types other than to take what is offered for a year or two or try and get a job outside football. The likes of Luke Prosser I can see getting a job in Football but I dont think he will be offered anything like he was on at Colchester. He is a good lower league professional and has made a decent lower league career since he left us. He has hope - but must lower his expectations .... others I would worry about. Not sure if our own Ryan Lloyd is out of contract but if I was him I would be worried if he hasn't got an option outside football. Whatever happens any Flash Average lower league player who thinks he can hang around waiting for that "Much better Offer just around the corner" better tighten his belt because I think the sensible finance heads will be listened to more than they may have been in the past.  

Selling a 29 year old striker, who was third choice, not good enough to start in the FL regularly, and had another year of unwanted contract left, for circa £20k is excellent business. He gave us some decent service in important games like Forest Green and Exeter and worked hard for the side.

The only hitch was the lack of depth, but we don't need to worry about that now.

Another example of sensible planning by the owners/manager. A proper long-term view being taken.

Archived