onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nominate your worst Port Vale wingers...

robf

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Oh I know that was Cordens only goal... And I’m not saying he was any good, I only saying that goal felt so good I’m letting him off in my head.

I'd personally say that Corden offered more than Koordes and therefore if he's better than another player he surely can't make the "worst ever" list. I think that although unfortunate (I think he was more of a central midfield) Koordes was played on the left wing because he had a left foot and offered defensive cover when Vale played away. However, he was a very limited wide player albeit he was playing at a higher level.

I've probably muddied the waters with the above but it shows - how do you pick the worst? 

Does Koordes qualify if he's not really a winger?

Is Mbamba better than say Haldane because he played a division higher?

Can you pick someone who barely played any games - or is it that an awful player would never play many games if they were truly awful? 

Advert

11 minutes ago, robf said:

I'd personally say that Corden offered more than Koordes and therefore if he's better than another player he surely can't make the "worst ever" list. I think that although unfortunate (I think he was more of a central midfield) Koordes was played on the left wing because he had a left foot and offered defensive cover when Vale played away. However, he was a very limited wide player albeit he was playing at a higher level.

I've probably muddied the waters with the above but it shows - how do you pick the worst? 

Does Koordes qualify if he's not really a winger?

Is Mbamba better than say Haldane because he played a division higher?

Can you pick someone who barely played any games - or is it that an awful player would never play many games if they were truly awful? 

Andy Porter played a lot of early games on the right wing and was also less than gifted in that position.  Koordes was no flying winger but I think Rudge liked the fact he did what was asked of him. Always felt he put in a shift despite his limitations.

2 hours ago, JRC said:

I certainly wouldn't pick anyone who played less than 10 games so I'd need to check how many Mbamba played. My recollections of him are coming off the bench being expected to turn things around in a very poor side, I can't ever remember him starting a game. Maybe a JPT game.

In all probability yes. Lloyd is certainly worse than Cordon. As an out and out winger he offers nothing. He tracks back a yard too late, doesn't work out ways to stay involved in games, can't take a fullback on the outside and rarely gets a cross in. His greatest claim for a vote is his sheer anonymity in many games, not doing bad things just not really doing anything that's had any impact. He has an ability to head towards a situation and arrive 2 seconds after his presence may have had an impact. In his defence I do think there is a lower league midfield player beneath the surface but he's been used primarily as a winger at Vale. I toyed with adding Bromage who played his first few seasons as a poor left winger before finding a home as a good leftback.

I’d pick Corden too.

forget your 10 game get out clause, I’m talking if you had to pick one to play for your team... you have seen them both play. Given the choice of either Mbamba or Lloyd you seem to indicate you would pick Mbamba?

You said “Mbamba at least offered a modicum of pace”

Each to their own I guess but honestly I think that’s mental!! 

3 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

You said “Mbamba at least offered a modicum of pace”

That made me laugh as when I saw him come on as a sub, he made a fast, direct run and I thought "hmm, he's pacy, could be useful" but that burst of pace was literally the only thing I remember him doing - he didn't touch the ball after that... so that's my only memory of him is that he had pace 😃

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Andy Porter played a lot of early games on the right wing and was also less than gifted in that position.  Koordes was no flying winger but I think Rudge liked the fact he did what was asked of him. Always felt he put in a shift despite his limitations.

A fair point. Perhaps Koordes is a bad choice as he was out of position.

5 hours ago, krakaddict said:

Derek Monaghan, anyone? 

Chicken legs.  I've never seen a footballer with such skinny legs. 

Kevin Tully is a good shout.

It's unfair to pick on Paul Edwards because he only had one leg.  I don't think I saw him used any part of his right leg, least of all the foot, in his entire Vale career.

In terms of value for money, it has to be Mbamba.  He was actually earning more than the manager and was completely useless.  A fine piece of business by our former owner.

I never thought Rogier Koordes was as bad as some Vale fans would have. Always put a shift in and, as has been said, played mostly out of position. I can't believe Tony Rougier was ever mentioned for this? Yes, he was Ainsworth's replacement, but didn't cost a fortune and the reason we didn't do so good after Ainsworth went was because we didn't bring in enough quality...unlike with other transfers in after a top player has been sold! Wayne Cordon - what a massive disappointment! Yes, his goal against Arsenal was a huge one for us...but that's all he did...but he still wasn't as bad as Osher Williams or Kaid Mohamed, who has played for a huge number of clubs (or, had lots of spells with clubs at different times?) and not really achieved much, anywhere. Finally - whoever mentioned Andy Porter - go and wash your mouth out! Shocking suggestion!!!!! 

Chris Mbamba, makes me shudder..

Shodipo wasn't great for Vale either, I realize he's attached to a Championship team but he really didn't do anything at Vale albeit only a few appearances.

Shelaj at least seemed to have some skill and a trick but never really got a chance.

17 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

Mbamba and shalaj are the ones I'd say unsure on how many games they played though. 

Trouble is, neither played enough to give me enough bad memories. In actual fact, the only time I saw Shalaj, I think in some tin pot trophy game no one else went to, he showed promise and had some pace. 

17 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Kaid Mohammed springs to mind, barely got a chance mind but when I did see him, far too loghtweight to resist challenges and lost the ball easily. 

I saw him once I think in a game away at Orient and he really wasn't very good. I think Adams knew quite early on he'd made a mistake hence his long loan spells away from the club to use up the rest of his contract.

Oh, I should have mentioned a few other things about the "Worst" squad.

We're nearing the end of the starting XI with only the forward partnership to discuss after this thread. 

However, like the "best" squad there will be the chance to nominate a manager (I can think of two or three strong contenders there) and also a subs bench. So, if one of two of your choices from these positional votes don't make the starting line-up you may want to vote them onto the subs bench instead.

However, to suit our worst-ever squad, you must make sure you pick any subs will be totally ineffective and weaken the side if they are called into action. 😉

(For me, one of my sub nominations would be the luckless, perpetually injured Darren Murphy. As his Wikipedia entry reminds us in the match against Rochdale in 2012 "having entered the game as a substitute he was forced off injured after only a few minutes due to a recurrence of his calf injury". It's that level of sub impact I will be looking for when we arrive at subs).

Archived