onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nominate your worst Port Vale wingers...

robf

Andy Proudlove

Kevin Tully

Kevin Sheldon

Andy Shankland

Ian Griffiths

Richard Eyre

Wayne Cordon

Joe Cardle

Kaid Mohammed

Chris Mbambe

Ryan Lloyd

Tudor and Edwards were awful in an awful team at the start of their Vale careers. They were both better in their last few games but were dreadful in their first half season. Rougier was one of the better players in a poor side. All 11 above were comfortably even worse than these 3 for me.

Advert

2 minutes ago, JRC said:

Andy Proudlove

Kevin Tully

Kevin Sheldon

Andy Shankland

Ian Griffiths

Richard Eyre

Wayne Cordon

Joe Cardle

Kaid Mohammed

Chris Mbambe

Ryan Lloyd

Tudor and Edwards were awful in an awful team at the start of their Vale careers. They were both better in their last few games but were dreadful in their first half season. Rougier was one of the better players in a poor side. All 11 above were comfortably even worse than these 3 for me.

Wayne Cordens goal against Arsenal buys him some leeway in my book.

I know Lloyd isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but putting him on the same list as Mbamba and Mohammed is ludicrous 

1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

Wayne Cordens goal against Arsenal buys him some leeway in my book.

I know Lloyd isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but putting him on the same list as Mbamba and Mohammed is ludicrous 

That was Corden's only goal in 6 seasons as an attacking player. Ryan Lloyd has averaged 3 appearances and zero goals in 8 seasons. I stood up for him earlier in the season as I don't agree with booing our own players. Apart from one cross in an away game and a decent pass in the Autoglass this season what has he done in that time that has been memorable? Mohammed and Mbamba at least offered a modicum of pace.

Lloyd has looked marginally better in a midfield 3 and that's where he had done ok elsewhere. As a winger he hasn't done much to put him ahead of any on my list. This list is for wingers so I think he justifies inclusion. 

1 hour ago, JRC said:

That was Corden's only goal in 6 seasons as an attacking player. Ryan Lloyd has averaged 3 appearances and zero goals in 8 seasons. I stood up for him earlier in the season as I don't agree with booing our own players. Apart from one cross in an away game and a decent pass in the Autoglass this season what has he done in that time that has been memorable? Mohammed and Mbamba at least offered a modicum of pace.

Lloyd has looked marginally better in a midfield 3 and that's where he had done ok elsewhere. As a winger he hasn't done much to put him ahead of any on my list. This list is for wingers so I think he justifies inclusion. 

Oh I know that was Cordens only goal... And I’m not saying he was any good, I only saying that goal felt so good I’m letting him off in my head.

So for clarity... given the choice of Lloyd and Mbamba, you would choose Mbamba? 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Oh I know that was Cordens only goal... And I’m not saying he was any good, I only saying that goal felt so good I’m letting him off in my head.

So for clarity... given the choice of Lloyd and Mbamba, you would choose Mbamba? 

I certainly wouldn't pick anyone who played less than 10 games so I'd need to check how many Mbamba played. My recollections of him are coming off the bench being expected to turn things around in a very poor side, I can't ever remember him starting a game. Maybe a JPT game.

In all probability yes. Lloyd is certainly worse than Cordon. As an out and out winger he offers nothing. He tracks back a yard too late, doesn't work out ways to stay involved in games, can't take a fullback on the outside and rarely gets a cross in. His greatest claim for a vote is his sheer anonymity in many games, not doing bad things just not really doing anything that's had any impact. He has an ability to head towards a situation and arrive 2 seconds after his presence may have had an impact. In his defence I do think there is a lower league midfield player beneath the surface but he's been used primarily as a winger at Vale. I toyed with adding Bromage who played his first few seasons as a poor left winger before finding a home as a good leftback.

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

What about Lewis Haldane?

Cant be classed as a striker can he? I had him down as a wide player.

I'll stand by this one, he was shocking.

Literally just ran to the byline.....and then kept on going

He was fast and put in some effort. Footballing ability was limited but his physical attributes always worried other teams.

1 hour ago, krakaddict said:

Derek Monaghan, anyone? 

Wasn't he more of a forward,  must have been the most injury prone player we ever signed.

I honestly think the only person Lewis Haldane has ever worried is the tan shop lady.

I remember when he came on for his debut against Grimsby and won us a penalty. The way he went through and got fouled just as he was about to get his shot off I thought every single fans forum I'd looked at about him, plus my oxford supporting mate, might have been wrong.

But he spent the rest of his time with us proving them right.

It's very easy to say Mbamba and lloyd. They probably are in fact the worst but have they played 20 games for the vale combined?

To my knowledge he left us with no goals and no assists.

Someone is bound to put me right on that but if I'm right how can he not be considered given the time he was with us?

4 hours ago, Essex Vale said:

Rougier was sold on by John Rudge at a profit of £150K, that hardly qualifies as a poor signing. He scored 8 goals in just over a season.  Whilst he was not great, he is a very very very long way away from being one of our worse ever wingers.

He also switched to being a central forward under Horton (plus I personally thought he was decent) so I don't think he really qualifies .

Archived