robf

Match thread (replay): Port Vale v QPR, 1997

I suspect this one will be a dour match with no goals and little drama... 😉 tune in to the OVF YouTube channel at 7.30pm to find out.

A link will be posted on here when it is live...

NOTE: Sound quality on this one is NOT great due to the age and deterioration of the VHS tape

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Does the broadcast end after 85 mins ? 

No but you can leave at half-time if you wish?

• Like 1

Just so no-one is disappointed - the sound quality on this one really isn't great. I'm sorry about that but it's a VHS recording off the telly from 20-odd years ago and the tape has degraded somewhat.

Third and final pre-match note... I suspect a full 90 mins of a Potteries derby game may be popular next Monday?

38 minutes ago, robf said:

Third and final pre-match note... I suspect a full 90 mins of a Potteries derby game may be popular next Monday?

Fa cup 3 1 win in the rain please? 

• Thanks 1

Watch the full ninety minutes now through this link -

(Please note that the sound quality is not great on this 23 year old video)

I never understood why opposition managers never doubled up on Guppy, or at least got the right sided midfielder to help out the full back more.

We had good players all over the park, but Guppy was the cutting edge. Stop him and you would nullify us somewhat. But of course we were just little old Port Vale. 

10 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Thanks for doing this.  Great commercials as well lol.

A pleasure. I'll try and get one with better sound next time. Glad you enjoyed the adverts - made me chuckle too...

Points I took from that match is

how good guppys footwork was, hardworking Lee Mills,

glover brilliant at playing the ball out from the back,

how quick Mccarthy was, and how aggressively brilliant Andy porter was..... And jermaine holwyn actually had a decent game

Oh and Jimmy greaves really fooking hates us

• Like 1

As much as that last five minutes will haunt me forever, I enjoyed watching that.

Not only for the team we had back then, but how much more I enjoyed football.  I'll always love the game but I was IN love with it then.  It was so much better.

The lack of diving, theatrics, unnecessary stoppages and gamesmanship is very, very noticeable in these old games.  

It kind of depresses me seeing that and comparing it to how the game is now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Santa said:

Funnily enough I found my recording of that game over the weekend which did have decent sound.

So now you tell me 😉 😝

Tuned in too late when we were 4-0 up,but played it back at the end of the game.Wish we had VAR in those days,just to confirm that header from Naylor was over the line just after half-time.That would have been 5-0 and game over?

A game of two-halves has never been so apt.

Speedy recovery to Jimmy Greaves who is now recovering at home after being taken ill last week.