onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Things that surprised you when watching Vale.

RailwayRowdy

Advert

A few odd things come to mind but many of them are a while ago so apologies if my memory is playing tricks on me.

Didn't Plymouth have 3 men sent off at the Vale when we were playing one of our rare Sunday games?

I remember being amazed at Grantham when I saw the pitch was basically one half of the cricket ground - with a rope down one touchline. And our late equaliser (Brownbill?) when everyone surrounded the hapless linesman to pressurise him not to wave his flag!

Was it Southend where the fans were in the ground only for the game to be called off very very late?

Hartlepool? Home game once that was abandoned after about 70 minutes because of fog. You couldn't see half the pitch. We don't see many games now played in the fog - nor the snow for that matter.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

A few odd things come to mind but many of them are a while ago so apologies if my memory is playing tricks on me.

Didn't Plymouth have 3 men sent off at the Vale when we were playing one of our rare Sunday games?

I remember being amazed at Grantham when I saw the pitch was basically one half of the cricket ground - with a rope down one touchline. And our late equaliser (Brownbill?) when everyone surrounded the hapless linesman to pressurise him not to wave his flag!

Was it Southend where the fans were in the ground only for the game to be called off very very late?

Hartlepool? Home game once that was abandoned after about 70 minutes because of fog. You couldn't see half the pitch. We don't see many games now played in the fog - nor the snow for that matter.

Absolutely one of my memories as well Sage, that Plymouth game....3 sent off, Sunday game during the power cut era of the 70's. I think originally there was hell up about playing on Sundays or even opening shops etc on the Sabbath...what happened there? Remember me Dad saying..."Bloody hell, poor buggers...it's a long way home after a performance like this"

That game v Wigan at the Springfield Park...got in the the ground about 2.15...heavens opened, pitch waterlogged completely...game postponed and at 3.20 driving back down the M6 in bright sunshine. The players came out and "Klinsmanned" through the massive puddles, can't remember who it was but it might have been Andy Jones?

On the subject of late postponements,  I went to Colchester for a Friday night game in our promotion season 82-3. At the time I had been to 91 of the league grounds and Layer Rd was to be my 92nd. 

We had just reached Colchester around 6pm only to discover the game had just been called off ! 

That came as a surprise ! 

12 hours ago, TheSage said:

Hartlepool? Home game once that was abandoned after about 70 minutes because of fog. You couldn't see half the pitch. We don't see many games now played in the fog

Aldershot in promotion season 88-89 was abandoned into the last 15 minutes because of fog I think? We were leading 3-0 or 3-1 at the time, but thankfully won the re-arranged game 3-0 anyway.

1 hour ago, ollyandpatch said:

Turning up at Rochdale (3-3) with half the pitch under water and the the game still started on time. 3-0 down after 80 minutes but came back to draw. Also seem to remember fighting in the away end with an umbrella. !!!!  Great times. Lol

Didn't go to that game (81-82 season?, or the one after), but remember listening to the updates on Radio Stoke. Did Jimmy Greenhoff score one of our 3?

10 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Absolutely one of my memories as well Sage, that Plymouth game....3 sent off, Sunday game during the power cut era of the 70's. I think originally there was hell up about playing on Sundays or even opening shops etc on the Sabbath...what happened there? Remember me Dad saying..."Bloody hell, poor buggers...it's a long way home after a performance like this"

That game v Wigan at the Springfield Park...got in the the ground about 2.15...heavens opened, pitch waterlogged completely...game postponed and at 3.20 driving back down the M6 in bright sunshine. The players came out and "Klinsmanned" through the massive puddles, can't remember who it was but it might have been Andy Jones?

It was Richard O'Kelly.  He ran out in socks, boots and shorts, no shirt, carrying an umbrella.  He ran to the giant lake in one corner of the ground and made as if he was going to dive in but didn't actually do it.  Clearly a bet!

My memory is very poor for dates but the sight of a traffic sign, possibly “men at work”, flying into the Stoke End Stand after one of the derby games early 90’s was quite a surprise at the time.

As was the sight of a bare backside (Goober’s?)  sticking out of a small dressing room window in another of the derby games ( Autoglass? ) as we celebrated whilst being kept behind. Those windows would’ve been at head height and I can remember being surprised  as to how someone could get their ar5e that high.  😂

Archived