onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who are your worst Port Vale central midfielders?

robf

6 hours ago, ontopgate said:

Mark Salmon. So forgettable he was memorable. 

Love that you've mentioned him! Totally nothing player

I'll go

Ahmed

Geoghan 

Davidson

McKenzie

Rocastle 

I'd possibly say Rocastle was THE worst because he actually came with a semi decent reputation and stank the place out with Paul Edward's.  Both presented as "promotion signings " by bratt and foyle

Advert

3 hours ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Darren Murphy is another one who looked out of place. Although perhaps injuries may have caused that

Darren Murphy came on away at Morecambe in the 12/13 season and look pretty good; tilted the game in our favour.

Considering John McCombe scoring in the last minute to seal the victory (which kickstarted our promotion season) is a fond memory, I'm going to let Murphy off with this.

Rowcastle seems to be a player who managed quite a long career as a bit part player at many clubs only playing 178 games over 11 plus years and a lot of those were sub appearances. He crash dived after leaving Vale Park measured against the levels he had played at beforehand. 

One for the oldies..... Lee Jenkins ! Only played 1 game for us - Boxing Day 1980.  Deservedly never appeared again !

Made 3 sub appearances for Villa, 1 app for us and 1 app for B'ham city, which he didn't complete as he broke his ankle on debut (all courtesy of Wiki, ta).

We've had a lot of amorphous midfielders who played 3 or 4 games who came claiming to be box to box players and who really just ran around a bit. Rocastle stands out of the players with a decent number of games. Four players who were major disappointments because I ecpected more:

Ken Todd big fee and reputation,  never did much

Jeff Minton added little to a poor squad

David Howland got progressively ineffectual 

Tommy Gore one of the finest lower league players at Bury but never really go going for us

18 hours ago, Joe B said:

Tom Taiwo was bad too.

And Adnan Ahmed. Ross Davidson.

The 08-09 Glover season was a highlight reel of bad midfielders.

I think Taiwo just didn't get a chance with us. He did ok for Carlisle including an FA Trophy win. Glover couldn't handle him I suspect.

Tommy Gore, when he gets the ball they will score is the worst ever.

I’d then take Lee Jenkins but there’s loads out there. Andy Proctor’s list is pretty much a benchmark of most seasons. 
Surprised nobody has mentioned any of the Bruno lot yet

8 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Tommy Gore, when he gets the ball they will score is the worst ever.

I’d then take Lee Jenkins but there’s loads out there. Andy Proctor’s list is pretty much a benchmark of most seasons. 
Surprised nobody has mentioned any of the Bruno lot yet

Bruno's lot did OK until the weather deteriorated and the opposition sussed them out. Players who can do tricky ball playing round their own box from the back and wanting to control the pace of the game. But as soon as the pace is turned up against them the limitations of their technique is quickly revealed. A long way from home in a foreign country and the wheels fell off in weeks. But the main crash dive came after the manager change? I think they were ultimately bad and a tragic error by an owner who believed he could reach the Championship with this manager, but they all were technically much better than Exodus G. They are not dreadful enough?

Amazed to see Lipa mentioned in the same vein as some of the other dross.

Ross Davidson

From the Bruno era

Amoros , Shalaj  

I think for the older ones amongst us there was an awful player maybe 80's called Jeff / Geoff Johnson, seem to remember may of come from Gillingham for a fee 

Peter Farrell was also a flop for his record transfer fee and had legs like matchsticks 

13 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Ross Davidson

From the Bruno era

Amoros , Shalaj  

I think for the older ones amongst us there was an awful player maybe 80's called Jeff / Geoff Johnson, seem to remember may of come from Gillingham for a fee 

Peter Farrell was also a flop for his record transfer fee and had legs like matchsticks 

Shalaj was not a centre mid was he? Never saw enough to really comment. Barely played. 

Lipa played many times for the club and got worse and worse. On a good wage too, plus was racist. 

17 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Ross Davidson

From the Bruno era

Amoros , Shalaj  

Agree with Peter Farrell. Very similar to Lipa. Expensive and a bit of a wuss. 

Archived