onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Quiz; name the players Lee Sinnott signed for Port Vale

robf

Here's another quiz to keep you occupied:

https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2020/04/quiz-lee-sinnott-signings/

A few things:

1. It's only permanent signings (it's actually surprising to me just what quality he brought in and yet the team was still dire under him)

2. So no loan signings (which in themselves were pretty impressive - Krystian Pearce, Lee Collins, Mark Laird...) how did his side do so bad?

3. I reckon most are very gettable but there's definitely one or two pretty obscure ones which may flummox you

Advert

3 hours ago, TheSage said:

I'm getting worse!

8/11. Many were fairly easy to guess but, yes, there was the odd tricky one. His team seems but a distant memory now.

Thank god for that too.

The players I've just named on there (10/11) were pretty much awful apart from mccombe and Dodds.  

You've only got to look at what happened when they left.  

Even Rob Taylor, who was tipped by some to fetch a few quid, just faded away.

I think Sinnott was very poor.  He gets a bit more credit than deserved because of what was happening behind the scenes at vale at that time.  When we sacked him there was uproar.  Rightly so because of how it was done but it definitely needed doing.  Sadly, his replacement was just as bad.

I still shudder thinking of that team.  The year went down I was in the hospitality suite at millwall when we lost 3 nil.  Still, probably, the worst performance I've ever seen.  And their fans were laughing at our side.  Actually picking fun at individual players and playfully making jokes.  We were DIRE.

We had Kyle Perry and Danny Glover up front that day.  WOW!

I still think the Sinnott/Glover team was the worst I've ever watched at vale.

For me, even the foreign invasion season and the two season after were better.  Considerably better in fact.

God he signed some right rubbish and he joined the club still in league 1! 

The only good bit about this quiz is that I always blamed him for the truly awful Tommy Fraser, who somehow also captained the club. 

Adams was responsible for that! 

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

Thank god for that too.

The players I've just named on there (10/11) were pretty much awful apart from mccombe and Dodds.  

I don't think any were world beaters but I think it's a bit harsh to say "awful". After all, Griffith and Taylor were plucked from non-league obscurity and did OK enough. Admittedly there were a couple of hopeless signings but everyone (even the great JR) has a couple of ropey signings in them.

When you add in loanees he brought in such as Lee Collins, Mark Laird, Krystian Pearce I think Sinnott's signings were OK. Not great but not "awful" in my opinion. I certainly think they were better signings than Glover (Dave Brammer, Scott Brown, Neal MacKenzie,  Adnam Ahmed, Paul Marshall, Kevin Gall (!!!)... surely only Gareth Owen can be classed as a decent one)

For me the problem was his tactics and the balance of the team. As you highlighted his striking options were appalling and I think that was the reason he went down - but strikers are expensive. I think he tried to get a few on the cheap and none did the business for him.

I'm not trying to sugarcoat Sinnott's spell. It was pretty disastrous and he was rightly dismissed (whether Glover was the answer is a moot point) but I do think his signings were about the only good thing he brought - after all four of them - Griff, Taylor, McCombe and Dodds - made over 900 appearances combined for the club. If you count Collins (who Sinnott brought in on loan) that's five players who were regular squad players over the next few years that Sinnott was responsible for bringing in.

2 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Thank god for that too.

I think Sinnott was very poor.  He gets a bit more credit than deserved because of what was happening behind the scenes at vale at that time.  When we sacked him there was uproar.  Rightly so because of how it was done but it definitely needed doing.  Sadly, his replacement was just as bad.

I still shudder thinking of that team.  The year went down I was in the hospitality suite at millwall when we lost 3 nil.  Still, probably, the worst performance I've ever seen.  And their fans were laughing at our side.  Actually picking fun at individual players and playfully making jokes.  We were DIRE.

For me, even the foreign invasion season and the two season after were better.  Considerably better in fact.

Ah yes, that dreadful Millwall match. I was there too. The defence was equally bad, even Pilkington was dire in that one. It is true we had Perry and Glover up front but I remember Marc Richards came on for one of his first vale starts after an injury layoff. 

On 08/04/2020 at 14:17, TJHValiant said:

God he signed some right rubbish and he joined the club still in league 1! 

The only good bit about this quiz is that I always blamed him for the truly awful Tommy Fraser, who somehow also captained the club. 

Adams was responsible for that! 

Tommy Fraser! 

Back in the day my lad won a days coaching at Chelsea.  Was chatting to one of the coaches, and when I said where we were from / who we supported he asked what I thought of a Tommy.  My explanation was along the lines of any enthusiastic pub player’ - turned out it was his brother I was talking to and he was in full agreement!

Griffith, Taylor, Dodds, and McCombe all contributed well for us, were all a member of a promotion squad 5 years later, and all (bar Taylor on 181) played over 200 games for us. Good signings.

Stockley and Howland weren't terrible by any means.

Obviously the likes of Slater, Perry, Eckersley were fairly bad.

However, as Rob says, when you add in Lee Collins and Krystian Pearce on loan, Sinnott's recruitment was respectable. Dodds, Boom, Griff, and Collins were very good signing

On 08/04/2020 at 13:08, eh up nah said:

Thank god for that too.

The Foreign Experiment, post Christmas, is the worst for me. Once Jones, Alnwick, and Grant had gone, and Streete started getting injured.

Mehmet keeping nets, Tanser at left back, immobile Andre Bikey at centre half, ADF galloping round, Billy Reeves (now of Leek) the midfield lynchpin, Danny Turner and Big Reg up top. Martin Paterson seeing the pitch. JJ Hooper the main hope.

Was as bad as it got. We scored 1 in our last 8 games, which was that Eagles thunderbolt away at Walsall, and Brown still kept his job.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

The Foreign Experiment, post Christmas, is the worst for me. Once Jones, Alnwick, and Grant had gone, and Streete started getting injured.

Mehmet keeping nets, Tanser at left back, immobile Andre Bikey at centre half, ADF galloping round, Billy Reeves (now of Leek) the midfield lynchpin, Danny Turner and Big Reg up top. Martin Paterson seeing the pitch. JJ Hooper the main hope.

Was as bad as it got. We scored 1 in our last 8 games, which was that Eagles thunderbolt away at Walsall, and Brown still kept his job.

Andre Bikey was good while he was here. 

Archived