onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst Vale XI: the centre-halves

robf

Chris Slater was monumentally poor. I still remember a Macclesfield striker / maybe Accrington walking through one of his powder puff tackles to have all day to score. So nothing else is sticking in my mind except how bad he was!

Richard Walker, oh heck where to start. I remember him coming on as sub and immediately allowing the striker he had been brought on to stop do exactly what the main threat was from him. And he lost us the game. He was not just technically poor in the way of Slater, he was poor mainly because he was stupid, stupid, stupid. Sorry I need to get him off my chest. 

Advert

2 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

When we do the vote will we be able vote for 2 players or just one? 

There is so much to choose from in this category, it's like being a kid trapped in sweet shop. Maybe the Vale Worst  XI should play three at the back. But #1 is Delgado, defo head and shoulders below the rest. If it was three my other two would be Slater and MacIntosh.

Jermaine Holwyn would be my particular choice, massively influenced by his singularly inept performance against QPR when he helped to turn a 4-0 half time lead into a 4-4 draw, including a timely own goal. It would be unfair to say he lost it for us (it felt like a defeat) single-handedly, so to speak, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was in the QPR hall of fame.

Thank goodness he only played 7 games for us - 7 too many.

Just trawling through Wiki and looking at what some of our ex stars went on to do post Vale. Pollard didn’t do that bad but in reality they all ended their careers soon after. 
Colin Miles changed his name from Pluck to Miles in 2004. Wonder why?

12 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Just trawling through Wiki and looking at what some of our ex stars went on to do post Vale. Pollard didn’t do that bad but in reality they all ended their careers soon after. 
Colin Miles changed his name from Pluck to Miles in 2004. Wonder why?

If he had been a keeper he could have plucked the ball out of the air. But in his position that would be a pen probably. I can only think of one successful person called Miles in a sporting field, but he was a chess grand master

3 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

The only thing regarding holwyn is he was playing at championship level so up against better players in the few games he played whereas slater and howe was up against league 2 fodder. 

I think Slater fell on his own sword. He was released in November 2008 - month an insight of itself - and returned to his happy pasture at Chasetown. 

On 07/04/2020 at 19:50, bycars rob said:

Ironically didn`t we buy him with Peter Sutcliffe going in part exchange, not great business in hindsight.

We had to pay Chester 15k as well. I'm looking forward to voting for him (Delgado). He was quite rightly voted Vale's worst player of all time a few years ago in the "Derek" and put Ville Villjanon into 2nd place which tells you something. Delgado confused me as a young supporter because he was clearly an organiser in the defence, but I couldn't understand how someone could be pointing and telling his colleagues what to do when he couldn't pass or control the ball himself. I seem to recall him falling over a lot and frequently setting up opposition attacks. He played in a poor Vale side to be fair but he must have played 40 or 50 games which is probably why he's remembered so "fondly". Sutcliffe was my favourite Vale player at the time too so that made the swap so galling.

26 minutes ago, toyahw said:

When we come to midfield Sutcliffe is next up, dire for us. A bit like Delgado. He was not crap per se, just crap for us. And expensive.

Surprised you didn't think much of Sutcliffe and he only cost 3k, Roy Sproson bought him and he was right wing rather than mid. Wheras Dennis Butler was responsible for the expensive flops such as Farrell and Ken Todd who were Delgado's midfield buddies at the time. I'm sure you're thinking of one of those two.

52 minutes ago, Kes1974 said:

Surprised you didn't think much of Sutcliffe and he only cost 3k, Roy Sproson bought him and he was right wing rather than mid. Wheras Dennis Butler was responsible for the expensive flops such as Farrell and Ken Todd who were Delgado's midfield buddies at the time. I'm sure you're thinking of one of those two.

Actually you are right there. I was meaning Peter Farrell. My mistake. It was a long time ago. Thanks for correcting me there.

Monumentally bad players only come along once in a generation. But I suppose there are always 11 first teams slot in which they can appear and so it seems they happen more frequently. The cardinal sin of all is the lazy git. 

Archived