onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst Vale XI: the centre-halves

robf

As we continue the Worst Vale XI vote, we move onto centre-backs. There's two positions to fill in the side so get those nominations in.

I must admit I am struggling to think of any stand-out terrible ones. I can think of plenty of poor or disappointing ones but none which stand out. Perhaps you guys can help me out with some suggestions?

One note: I would expect someone to mention Exodus Geoghaghan at some point but I believe he was mainly deployed as a defensive midfielder by Jim Gannon so I would expect him to feature in the central midfield spots rather than central defence.

Advert

The two outstanding candidates, ie  Delgado & Pollard have already been mentioned. 
Outside of those two, I would go for Gary West. He was a panic Rudge buy when both Sproson & Hazel we’re out injured in the New Year of our 88/9 promotion season.

A 3-0 defeat at Cardiff (where Robbie Earle played centre half) meant  Rudge had to do something and he paid around £70,000 for his services. He was slow,  couldn’t head and couldn’t tackle.  Everything you want from a centre half eh ? 

But spare a thought for local lad Billy Leese. He played one first team game. We lost 5-1 at York in our classic 79/80 season. That day I lost the will to live. 

In addition to those already mentioned, in no particular order:

Chris Slater / Richard Walker / Anthony Kay (decent when played centre mid) /  Joe Davis (how did we get a fee) /  Callum Howe (why did we pay a fee?)  /  Big Ex / Peter Billing /  Jermaine Holwyn (as it was said unfair to assess him as a right back) / Artell (for being a snake)

4 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Bob Delgado - brilliant when playing against us, a complete donkey after we signed him.

He was my number one shout. I was excited as a kid .... jeez he was awful.

Graeme Hawkins from the same era was dreadful. But he did score a great goal from about 35 yards.

Andy Higgins was poor but also played in midfield and can't have played many games. Paul Bowles had a very poor first season but got better.

A special message to the younger fans.

I realise that Bob Delgado will mean jack sh*t to you, but I implore thee to make him at least one of your selections.

It will be an absolute travesty if he does not make this team. Never before has someone been more deserving of this accolade.

You only have to vote for him. Us old duffers had to pay to watch the useless tw*t.

And he looked like the Yorkshire Ripper. 

2 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

A special message to the younger fans.

I realise that Bob Delgado will mean jack sh*t to you, but I implore thee to make him at least one of your selections.

It will be an absolute travesty if he does not make this team. Never before has someone been more deserving of this accolade.

You only have to vote for him. Us old duffers had to pay to watch the useless tw*t.

I will do and I am so grateful he was before my time. My first match was in 1980 but the first season I remember properly was 1982-3 some time after he'd left.

44 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

In addition to those already mentioned, in no particular order:

Chris Slater / Richard Walker / Anthony Kay (decent when played centre mid) /  Joe Davis (how did we get a fee) /  Callum Howe (why did we pay a fee?)  /  Big Ex / Peter Billing /  Jermaine Holwyn (as it was said unfair to assess him as a right back) / Artell (for being a snake)

Chris Slater!  Bloody hell, I'd erased him from my memory bank and you've just given me a funny turn mentioning him.

3 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Whilst we’re on the subject of centre halves, who was the lad we had from Spurs on loan, who I thought was absolute class. He commanded and organised the defence brilliantly and wasn’t afraid of dribbling the ball out of defence. 
Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Kevin Scott?

Archived