onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst Vale XI: the centre-halves

robf

1 hour ago, Warren said:

Monumentally bad players only come along once in a generation. But I suppose there are always 11 first teams slot in which they can appear and so it seems they happen more frequently. The cardinal sin of all is the lazy git. 

It is a bit tricky really. Delgado was a decent  player, he was just gash for us. Slater was just way out of his depth.  I would not put either under lazy git category. Just not very good. 

Advert

6 hours ago, toyahw said:

It is a bit tricky really. Delgado was a decent  player, he was just gash for us. Slater was just way out of his depth.  I would not put either under lazy git category. Just not very good. 

I think Chester couldn't believe there luck, I suspect they knew his legs were gone. Slater was massively overweight.  The only player with bigger shorts bigger than Akinfenwe that I've seen. I suspect he had the ability to be a footballer but not the application. 

36 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Come on, Pollard made Slater look like Bobby Moore. 

Don't remember him to be honest. If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, probably erased him from my memory as some kind of self protection mechanism.

5 hours ago, JRC said:

I think Chester couldn't believe there luck, I suspect they knew his legs were gone. Slater was massively overweight.  The only player with bigger shorts bigger than Akinfenwe that I've seen. I suspect he had the ability to be a footballer but not the application. 

Big, very big. But I have immense respect for Akinfenwe who may be an unusual shape for football but is supremely fit, extended his career into mid thirties and is our nemesis. I think the dudes on here could aspire to be him and I'm confident if Akinfenwe played centre half he would actually be effective provided there was a gazelle in the other centre back slot.

2 hours ago, Warren said:

Big, very big. But I have immense respect for Akinfenwe who may be an unusual shape for football but is supremely fit, extended his career into mid thirties and is our nemesis. I think the dudes on here could aspire to be him and I'm confident if Akinfenwe played centre half he would actually be effective provided there was a gazelle in the other centre back slot.

Provided Akinfenwe has a manager who is prepared to build the attacking shape around him Akinfenwe can play until he's 50. Fitness wise he's kept himself phenomenally strong. If you judge speed or stamina he's not. He can't jump but play the ball to his feet or chest he is unplayable due to his strength. I've never seen a player quite like him. He's a one trick pony but so good a that trick no centrehalf can play him. 

He couldn't play centrehalf because teams would just target the space behind him with a quick player on the opposite side to his partner. He could handle a traditional Tom Pope centre forward pretty well.

3 hours ago, JRC said:

Provided Akinfenwe has a manager who is prepared to build the attacking shape around him Akinfenwe can play until he's 50. Fitness wise he's kept himself phenomenally strong. If you judge speed or stamina he's not. He can't jump but play the ball to his feet or chest he is unplayable due to his strength. I've never seen a player quite like him. He's a one trick pony but so good a that trick no centrehalf can play him. 

He couldn't play centrehalf because teams would just target the space behind him with a quick player on the opposite side to his partner. He could handle a traditional Tom Pope centre forward pretty well.

I thought about this. Logically then he would need to play in a back three with him in the centre. On the stamina front I think he is better than might be expected. He seemed to get up and down pretty well for a guy who ought to be holding up the scrum in rugby. He chugs along at a steady pace but he just doesn't have a burst.

Holwyn and Walker for me. Holwyn for the QPR game obviously and I'm sure I remember him putting in another inept display against West Brom the same season?  We drew 2-2, Naylor got our 2 and Peschisolido got their goals.  I'm sure Holwyn presented him with one of the goals on a plate.  He was one of the only players I've seen in a Vale shirt who literally struggled to stand up.

Walker had the turning circle of a north sea ferry.  He single handedly turned a game in Doncaster's favour on a Sunday once we were 1-0 up at half time and ended up losing 3-1 down to some comic cuts defending.

On 08/04/2020 at 20:18, Warren said:

Chris Slater was monumentally poor. I still remember a Macclesfield striker / maybe Accrington walking through one of his powder puff tackles to have all day to score. So nothing else is sticking in my mind except how bad he was!

Richard Walker, oh heck where to start. I remember him coming on as sub and immediately allowing the striker he had been brought on to stop do exactly what the main threat was from him. And he lost us the game. He was not just technically poor in the way of Slater, he was poor mainly because he was stupid, stupid, stupid. Sorry I need to get him off my chest. 

Sure the Slater game was Macclesfield at home we lost 4-1 and was the end for Sinnott? He got outpaced by Simon Yeo who although a decent lower league goal scorer must have been 33/34 at the time and wasn't exactly Linford Christie, I think he got a hattrick in that match!  I think the Walker match is the same one I've referred to against Donny in the previous post.

13 hours ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Sure the Slater game was Macclesfield at home we lost 4-1 and was the end for Sinnott? He got outpaced by Simon Yeo who although a decent lower league goal scorer must have been 33/34 at the time and wasn't exactly Linford Christie, I think he got a hattrick in that match!  I think the Walker match is the same one I've referred to against Donny in the previous post.

Yes I had Doncaster in mind. I am glad you confirmed Macc, for some reason Accrington crept into my mind, but it was Macc. The view I held at the time was that Port Vale should never lose to Macc ever, they are a non league club that has somehow got in to the league. Arrogant from me for sure, because to be fair Macc have been trying as hard as they can to transform into a second Accrington, and I have tremendous respect for Accrington who I see as simply exceptional in their level of achievement. 

I've just looked it up richard walker didnt play in that Hereford game. We only had 3 recognised defenders playing fortune miles who got subbed off for mcgregor and abbey. Stefan moore played who was crap and somebody called gardner who I think was a midfielder on loan from somewhere. Having looked at who played that day I'm not surprised we got beat 4 nil. 

I think I got a great insight this season into giving young players a chance and not signing players on past reputation, who are not properly scouted, only coming for the money et al. I saw the Liverpool youngsters play at Anfield in front of circa 50k people and it is obvious they have three players ready to step into the first team and in particular a centre half called Sepp van den Berg who is ready to enable Liverpool to ditch their biggest weakness in Lovren. So in Port Vale's context we should just do that ourselves in future and not ever sign anymore total duds. 

Archived