onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The PFA.

Footballers maybe are an easy target, but the brain dead amongst them like Grealish, Walker, Pope, McLean etc don't endear themselves to Joe Public do they.

All Sports starts and ' entertainment ' people earn mega bucks whether it is film, rock stars or Racing drivers. 

I'd be asking why the PFA feels the need to pay a 75 year old, yes 75 !!! 2 million quid a year anyway. Shouldn't he be mowing his lawn now or doing a sudoku. Surely a younger man with fresher ideas is needed not a dinosaur. Sadly as with most unions the figurehead is on an obscene salary, i recall the Fire dispute where their leader was swanning it in swanky restaurants while the workers were warming themselves by the braziers .

This whole virus situation could be a watershed in society as a whole and people realise that paying 150 million for a sulky prima donna who kicks a ball is not really acceptable any longer, neither is a bloke earning more in a month what an NHS worker will earn in an entire career.

Advert

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Sorry Rob, that wasn’t directed at you but at the media who have been having a field day about footballers. 

Hi Jean, thanks and I do agree with you. The media is always guilty of stereotyping. For every idiot self-centred footballer there's a decent bloke who wants to help. For every idiot like the Weatherspoons bloke or Sport Direct owner, there's rich business people doing the right thing. I think you're right in that focusing on a group, in this case all footballers, is both stereotyping and lazy. It would be better to focus on individuals - selfish idiots like Kyle Walker or Jack Grealish who flouted the ban - or right now Holland and Barrett who are basically forcing their staff to risk their lives for profit ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52206835 ). 

17 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Are various TV personalities, hedge fund traders, highly paid company directors, etc also taking wage cuts or are we just pillorying footballers??

Could it be that the footballers are getting it because the non-playing staff aren't?

7 hours ago, robf said:

Hi Jean, thanks and I do agree with you. The media is always guilty of stereotyping. For every idiot self-centred footballer there's a decent bloke who wants to help. For every idiot like the Weatherspoons bloke or Sport Direct owner, there's rich business people doing the right thing. I think you're right in that focusing on a group, in this case all footballers, is both stereotyping and lazy. It would be better to focus on individuals - selfish idiots like Kyle Walker or Jack Grealish who flouted the ban - or right now Holland and Barrett who are basically forcing their staff to risk their lives for profit ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52206835 ). 

Interesting that a Health store is regarded as a health risk!  I like Holland & Barrett shampoo but I reckon I can manage without for the moment.

I really do wish that the Shearer’s, Neville’s, Lineker’s, Rooney’s etc of this world would keep their pompous mouths shut.

All are now patting their fraternity (and ultimately themselves) on their backs and basically sticking two fingers up at Joe Public whilst shouting “told you so” over this Henderson led players charity donation.

Firstly, I very much doubt that any such response would have been forthcoming had Hancock not upset the apple cart by asking professional footballers to “do their bit”.  Secondly, the whole idea of players taking a wage cut was to prevent non playing staff being furloughed and basically thrown on the scrap heap. This situation has not changed.

But of course the real reason for this donation ( the amount to which we will never know) is to save their own mealy skins from taking a reduction in salary. 

I love football but, sometimes, I cannot say the same about the footballers themselves. 

49 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I really do wish that the Shearer’s, Neville’s, Lineker’s, Rooney’s etc of this world would keep their pompous mouths shut.

All are now patting their fraternity (and ultimately themselves) on their backs and basically sticking two fingers up at Joe Public whilst shouting “told you so” over this Henderson led players charity donation.

Firstly, I very much doubt that any such response would have been forthcoming had Hancock not upset the apple cart by asking professional footballers to “do their bit”.  Secondly, the whole idea of players taking a wage cut was to prevent non playing staff being furloughed and basically thrown on the scrap heap. This situation has not changed.

But of course the real reason for this donation ( the amount to which we will never know) is to save their own mealy skins from taking a reduction in salary. 

I love football but, sometimes, I cannot say the same about the footballers themselves. 

I’d leave Gary Neville out of it RR,he gave over his hotel ,for use by NHS ,weeks ago.

1 hour ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Yes,apparently Hancock is coming under fire from the players after asking them to play their part like everyone else?

Mind you our PL stars have now agreed to pledge £4m to the NHS?

Yeah I'm not convinced over billionaires and cabinet members of one of the most powerful and richest countries in the world shaming millionaires/well paid people into volunteering to give a portion of their earnings to the NHS.

I would have thought a better system would be governments requiring both billionaires and millionaires to pay their fair share of tax, pandemic or not, so that the NHS is strong enough to face health crises.

Archived