onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The PFA.

Advert

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52168692

They're opposing the Premier League's proposed 30% pay cut. To be fair their explanation does make sense. If £500 million wages are saved, then that's £200 million in tax revenue saved and so that's actually ten times less than the £20 million NHS donation part of that pay cut is helping to fund. Plus if that £125 million payment to EFL clubs is just an advance on next season's money then isn't that just the Premier League clubs getting their players to pay the EFL money that the club's themselves owe?

The PFA are fighting with the Premier League and it's not a good look. The Premier League clubs are furloughing staff, taking advantage of government schemes set up to help struggling businesses. If the PFA are right then the clubs are taking advantage of the tired "footballers are overpaid" mantra to try and get their staff (players) to pay for expenses the clubs are due to pay.

It's all very distasteful. Then again if broadcast money starts being withheld then even Premier League clubs will be in financial peril. Though yet again those with very wealthy owners should be alright, which is probably at least half of them.

Disgraceful comment from the PFA and shows how greedy they are, I would bet more than half their members in the Premiership are embarrassed with their comments. So many people are only taking 80% of their much lower salaries and the over paid footballers can’t even forfeit 30% of their salary when they are not doing what they are paid for.

my comments are directed at the Premiership not the lower divisions where salaries are more in line with the average worker.

The whole Premier League thing is disgusting. There seems to be an almighty scramble amongst the mega rich to avoid losing even the tiniest percentage of their huge earnings.

I don't often agree with Stan Collymore but his comments on Liverpool using the 80% government furlough payment is bang on:

"I don't know of any Liverpool fan of any standing that won't be anything other than disgusted at the club for furloughing staff. It's just plain wrong. Fellow football fans, furlough is for small business staff to keep those small businesses from going bump! Every Premier League owner has serious cash, and makes money from skyrocketing values of clubs, so what aren't you getting about your owners dipping into their pocket?"

As for the PFA trying to make out that taking a pay cut would harm the NHS, I simply don't know how they have the gall to even go there. They ought to be frogmarched to the local hospital and told to read out their statement there.

6 hours ago, Wrex said:

To be fair their explanation does make sense. If £500 million wages are saved, then that's £200 million in tax revenue saved

Whilst this may in fact be true, does anyone really think that was the first thought to go through a Premier League player’s mind ? Or indeed any professional footballer for that matter ?

In my opinion, it was wrong of Hancock to ask players to “play their part” and take a pay cut, although it would have been heart warming if they had. But they haven’t and indeed in all probability they won’t.

The real snakes are the Levy’s, Ashley’s and now Fenway’s of this world who are taking tax payers money to pay his own staff which amounts to peanuts in the unpalatable world of Premier League football.

Shame on the PFA for even daring to come out with this lame and embarrassing excuse. I realise that they are a union and are looking after their members, but really ?

Unions were introduced to protect the downtrodden employee from unscrupulous employers, not to give multi millionaires even more oodles of cash.

So, according to the PFA's logic,  surely the answer is to give the players a 30% INCREASE.  More cash in taxes for the NHS?  But isn't the issue that IF football is cancelled,  sky and BT won't pay the clubs and they become unviable? In that scenario they have to cut costs.  Maybe the bubble is about to burst?

2 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

So, according to the PFA's logic,  surely the answer is to give the players a 30% INCREASE.  More cash in taxes for the NHS?  But isn't the issue that IF football is cancelled,  sky and BT won't pay the clubs and they become unviable? In that scenario they have to cut costs.  Maybe the bubble is about to burst?

There has to be sacrifices and compromises all round to keep the football bubble from bursting. When you've got Gordon Taylor in charge of the players union and the likes of Mike Ashley running Premier League clubs then it seems very possible that there will be some kind of financial collapse. That collapse would be due as much to greed as to the impossible to see coming pandemic. 

Spurs,Newcastle,Bournemouth are still taking the goverment cash despite Liverpool's u-turn yesterday.

PL players who will become free agents this summer are refusing to accept wage cuts and despite opposition from the PFA,PL clubs are still hoping players  will take a financial cut.

They might however be prepared to take a drop in wages if the season is not completed and the clubs are subjected to massive losses due to the lack of TV revenue.

On 05/04/2020 at 17:56, Loggerheads Sage said:

Paul, the world we knew has already changed, but what to is yet to be seen.

4 hours ago, For Us All said:

Spurs,Newcastle,Bournemouth are still taking the goverment cash despite Liverpool's u-turn yesterday.

PL players who will become free agents this summer are refusing to accept wage cuts and despite opposition from the PFA,PL clubs are still hoping players  will take a financial cut.

They might however be prepared to take a drop in wages if the season is not completed and the clubs are subjected to massive losses due to the lack of TV revenue.

Are various TV personalities, hedge fund traders, highly paid company directors, etc also taking wage cuts or are we just pillorying footballers??

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Are various TV personalities, hedge fund traders, highly paid company directors, etc also taking wage cuts or are we just pillorying footballers??

I've not had a pop at footballers. I've taken a pop at football owners, Gordon Taylor and the PFA in my posts on this thread but there are undoubtedly many other individuals who could do a lot more too.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Well,I think we are on here because it's a thread about the PFA but didn't it start when Gary Neville got the hump the other week?

2 hours ago, robf said:

I've not had a pop at footballers. I've taken a pop at football owners, Gordon Taylor and the PFA in my posts on this thread but there are undoubtedly many other individuals who could do a lot more too.

Sorry Rob, that wasn’t directed at you but at the media who have been having a field day about footballers. 

Archived