onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Up speaking, vocal fry and starting sentences with So

Gungho_ED

Ive never watched so much telly in my life since this lock down.

What i've found amazing...and equally annoying is how many experts on tv when interviewed "up speak"

Most start every answer with the word "so" and then proceed to turn in to an Australian by the end of every sentence, going up in their vocal range and sounding like a right patronising idiot. 

Loads of the women they interview also "vocal fry" the last word of their sentence and try and croak like kim kardashian

I'm also sick of the kids round our way putting an extra letter in words that don't exist in that word

Please has become pleyuz, fifteen has become fiftyun, and food has become foowud

Also, there's what i call Kenny Lunt disease. Where once the person has started talking, they then set off on a self inflicted test of how high an octave they can finish their sentence in

If you've got any kids at home during this difficult time, can you please, for the love of God, pull them up on any of these growing traits and teach them to speak in a proper stoke accent and teach them words like conna, wunna and dunna 

And if you yourself are guilty of up speaking, pack it in you patronising <ovf censored>. We're not thick so stop talking to us all like we are

Advert

I agree ! Where has all this come from ?

The only thing I find more annoying than that are the Australians themselves. There must be a grammatical rule down there which is used nowhere else in the English speaking world whereby every sentence has to start with the work “look” 

Post match interviews with Aussie sportsmen ALWAYS begin with “look mate” irrespective of the interviewer’s question. God it annoys me. Mind you so do the Australians.

By the way Gungho you omitted “shonna” 🤣🤣  

5 hours ago, Gungho_ED said:

Also, there's what i call Kenny Lunt disease.

I play the "guess the number of times he says 'erm' in his Radio Stoke pre-match team news interview. I think the record so far is 24 times in 90 seconds which is some going!

34 minutes ago, robf said:

I play the "guess the number of times he says 'erm' in his Radio Stoke pre-match team news interview. I think the record so far is 24 times in 90 seconds which is some going!

You wouldn’t confuse him with Laurence Olivier would you ! 

Yeah i play a game called SO watch when we have the Chase on.

As soon as someone opens their gob and start by saying So... i press pause and me and my lady have a guess how many times they'll use it. 

The record so far is a southern mid 20's medical student with 14

On 01/04/2020 at 15:32, robf said:

We play the yes/no guessing game in interviews. The number of players that are asked as question that has a "no" answer but start with "yeah, No ..." in the reply is incredible 

Archived