Sign in to follow this  
robf

Worst-Ever Vale XI - the left-back

Same deal as the other "worst ever" threads folks. Can you put forward some candidates for the "worst left-back" vote. Those mentioned the most in this thread will be "shortlisted" and it will be put to the vote...

For me, there are players from different eras which makes it difficult to compare. However, krakaddict mentioned on the right-back thread that there could be two Lawries lining up as full-backs and I wouldn't disagree.

My choice is Lawrie Pearson who was signed in 1986. Not only because he was dreadful but because of the loss that move dealt to the club. Russell Bromage, who had been really consistent and had been with the club for years was sold to Bristol City for £25,000 plus Pearson. We basically replaced one of our best left-backs with the worst. 

Pearson signed a contract (not sure of the amount) but it was cancelled after just three months and six awful appearances. He just wasn't cut out for the league and spent the rest of his career in non-league.

For me, among the many successes that John Rudge had, this stands out as arguably the worst move he made. I'm sure it was seen as one of those deals for JR where you sell an asset and bring in a replacement to improve and sell on (bringing in Ainsworth when McCarthy went, signing Lee Mills as part of the van der Laan deal etc). But it just didn't work this time - mainly because the "chancer" Rudge had signed was rubbish... Rudgie made no mistake the next time, he replaced Pearson with Darren Hughes!

I'm sure there are other contenders out there though so share your nominations...

Pearson's my choice but I'd also add Jason Talbot for both rubbishness and thuggery and as a kid I remember having a strong dislike of Ray Deakin's work. 

Scott Tanser possibly takes this one for absolute awfulness but that's straight off top of my head

We've had some nightmares in this position!

Scott tanser is the worse for me. I'd also nominate phil hardy craig james phil roe mike green and Zak jules. Some of them will have only played a couple of times for us though. 

It's gone a bit quiet on here... any more nominations. I must say, Jason Talbot is a good call. A liability with his disciplinary record...

I thought jason Talbot was a solid enough left back. If somebody had a word with him regarding his temperament that may have helped him out like people had a word with gibblns as his disciplinary record was poor at first.

I'd also nominate colin miles think he was more of a centre back but seemed to play left back for us and was awful got sent off at Bradford for an awful tackle. 

I quite liked Talbot. Ray Deakin is a good shout. I thought Craig James just got worse and worse. He had a good left foot but increasingly his lack of pace got exposed. 

Colin Miles was a big let down. Came with a decent reputation but really rarely showed much.

Yep, Ray Deakin for me also. However, as I recall he was a pretty reliable from the spot, which nearly swung it in Lawrie Pearson’s favour.

Whilst he wouldn’t be anywhere near the worst, I was no great fan of Darren Hughes. In my book, he had pace which got him out of trouble, but little else.

But yes, Deakin for me. 

It has to be Colin Miles if only for his performance in the 4-0 FA Cup defeat to Hereford just before Tin Foyle was sacked. A 4 hr trip to witness one of the most abjectVale displays ever!

Miles was the worst he was lumbering around like he had 'madcow' disease, got mullered.

I think he did have a decent pedigree but for this game alone and one that lives long in my memory it's him

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Yep, Ray Deakin for me also. However, as I recall he was a pretty reliable from the spot, which nearly swung it in Lawrie Pearson’s favour.

Whilst he wouldn’t be anywhere near the worst, I was no great fan of Darren Hughes. In my book, he had pace which got him out of trouble, but little else.

But yes, Deakin for me. 

Did you go the fa cup replay at derby look at the ball he delivered for a goal

51 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

Did you go the fa cup replay at derby look at the ball he delivered for a goal

Yes I did. And also a 2-2 draw at Newcastle when he did a similar thing. But for me, these were isolated incidents in his Vale career. 

Colin Miles was dire.

He actually had a decent reputation at yeovil and that was when they were doing well.

His next job after vale was at Mark's and Spencer 

• Like 1

Craig James looked decent until we went 3-0 up against Swindon in his second game, but it was all downhill from there. I remember Jules getting hooked after something like 46 or 47 minutes the last time he played - I don't know what must have gone on there, in the two minutes or so after half time.

Foyle ended up having a bit of beef with Colin Miles, he was named in the team away at Chesterfield but injured  himself in the warm up. Foyle came on the radio after saying he thought he did he sock ties too tight and it was damaging his circulation.

Most of the bad ones have been covered off. Ryan Brown struggled but got thrown in at the deep end. Rae Ingram maybe deserves a mention.

Edited by Santa

Hmm. We've had so many crap left backs it is a bit like being stuck in a sweet shop. I'm going Deakin,  but I'm sure there were worse. But Tanser is a good shout. 

Edited by toyahw

I can't argue too much with the above comments. It's hard to remember them all and we have, indeed, had a few shockers.

Tanser, of course, has done quite well in the Scottish Premiership since leaving us but he was thrown in here at the deep end, in a terrible team, and looked poor.

It's him or Deakin for me, too.

I cannot believe that anyone would mention Darren Hughes in respect of this thread. He played over 200 games for us, and John Rudge picked him  for all of them.  John Rudge is a fine judge of a player.  When people are talking about Pearson, Miles, Hardy, it seems wholly unfair to even consider bracketing Yozzer with players like that.  

Darren Hughes gave great service to Port Vale and he was a quality left back