onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst-Ever Vale XI - the left-back

robf

Advert

Craig James looked decent until we went 3-0 up against Swindon in his second game, but it was all downhill from there. I remember Jules getting hooked after something like 46 or 47 minutes the last time he played - I don't know what must have gone on there, in the two minutes or so after half time.

Foyle ended up having a bit of beef with Colin Miles, he was named in the team away at Chesterfield but injured  himself in the warm up. Foyle came on the radio after saying he thought he did he sock ties too tight and it was damaging his circulation.

Most of the bad ones have been covered off. Ryan Brown struggled but got thrown in at the deep end. Rae Ingram maybe deserves a mention.

I can't argue too much with the above comments. It's hard to remember them all and we have, indeed, had a few shockers.

Tanser, of course, has done quite well in the Scottish Premiership since leaving us but he was thrown in here at the deep end, in a terrible team, and looked poor.

It's him or Deakin for me, too.

I cannot believe that anyone would mention Darren Hughes in respect of this thread. He played over 200 games for us, and John Rudge picked him  for all of them.  John Rudge is a fine judge of a player.  When people are talking about Pearson, Miles, Hardy, it seems wholly unfair to even consider bracketing Yozzer with players like that.  

Darren Hughes gave great service to Port Vale and he was a quality left back

15 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Yes I did. And also a 2-2 draw at Newcastle when he did a similar thing. But for me, these were isolated incidents in his Vale career. 

I suppose everyone has a opinion but in regards to Darren Hughes that one completely baffles me but there you go.

Strong memories as a young'un, sitting in the awful stand behind the goal at Valley Parade, and seeing Colin Miles absolutely eviscerate someone with a 2-footed challenge, and deservedly getting sent off.

Vale fans clapped him off the pitch.

That's all I have to offer.

Craig James by a country mile based on the amount of games he played(although how he did beggars belief?).  I still have nightmares about his attempts to clear the ball in the home cup game against Bristol Rovers when we drew 1-1.  He had about 5 attempts to clear it and they still somehow scrambled it over the line for a goal, one of the worst bits of defending I've ever seen from a professional player!😬

Some of the others admittedly were <ovf censored> but I find it hard to judge based on so few games.  Jules would probably win out of those if I had to pick one, he reminded me of Jermaine Holwyn, struggling to stand up like Bambi!

I guess that's the nature of 'Worst XI' though some of them won't have played much because they were so poor

I thought Miles and Talbot could both defend they just had poor disciplinary and injury records that hindered them. If we were going for a 'good for a booking 11' they'd be both in the back 4 all day long!

We really have had some crap in that position since Allen Tankard though haven't we, what a player he was when you look back

16 hours ago, Santa said:

Craig James looked decent until we went 3-0 up against Swindon in his second game, but it was all downhill from there. I remember Jules getting hooked after something like 46 or 47 minutes the last time he played - I don't know what must have gone on there, in the two minutes or so after half time.

Foyle ended up having a bit of beef with Colin Miles, he was named in the team away at Chesterfield but injured  himself in the warm up. Foyle came on the radio after saying he thought he did he sock ties too tight and it was damaging his circulation.

Most of the bad ones have been covered off. Ryan Brown struggled but got thrown in at the deep end. Rae Ingram maybe deserves a mention.

Ryan Brown and Steve Rowland were both very average home grown player so you understood why they were let go. In both cases though we went through a phase of replacing them with successively worse players, with bigger reputations and so probably bigger wages. With hindsight the club would have been no worse off holding on to both of them a little longer because we bought in even worse. 

Quite a few of the flops in both fullback positions have come in from outside the area. Maybe reflects the problems some players have moving home. Not sure managers have always fully done their homework on how easily a player will adapt when moving up from the South or down from the North East. There must be common traits to flops and the ones who thrive.

I'd temporarily forgotten about Brown and Rowlands I thought both were ok. Rowlands was a steady utility defender at times, didn't really have a best position which was probably his failing in the long run.  Remember both played in League One which is a level higher than we currently are so perhaps weren't as bad as we think.  

I'm surprised neither went on to have much of a non league career in the higher reaches say National League or North/South level perhaps after we released them.  I know Lawrie and Richman have had decent non-league careers(for want of a better phrase) and I wouldn't have said either of them were particularly any better.  Whether with them being more attacking players perhaps who knows?

Also I guess it's personal choice if you drop out of the pro game and have to get a regular job whether you carry on with football.

9 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

I'd temporarily forgotten about Brown and Rowlands I thought both were ok. Rowlands was a steady utility defender at times, didn't really have a best position which was probably his failing in the long run.  Remember both played in League One which is a level higher than we currently are so perhaps weren't as bad as we think.  

I'm surprised neither went on to have much of a non league career in the higher reaches say National League or North/South level perhaps after we released them.  I know Lawrie and Richman have had decent non-league careers(for want of a better phrase) and I wouldn't have said either of them were particularly any better.  Whether with them being more attacking players perhaps who knows?

Also I guess it's personal choice if you drop out of the pro game and have to get a regular job whether you carry on with football.

I thought Richman had something. Got stuck out on the wing when his natural position was more central. I didn't really think Tommy Fraser was an upgrade, Loft clearly was. Managers tend to want their own players in. Lawrie never showed progress from a promising start. Different time with more stabilty and that team that did so well in the FA youth cup could have generated a few more first team players. It all went toxic inside the club and they all stalled.

A lot of players used to find they are better off in the conference than as a jobbing league 2 player. Not sure how much that has changed with many of those clubs going fulltime.  Quite a few players leave clubs when they do go fulltime because overall they are worse off. 

Archived