onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst-Ever Vale XI - the right-back

robf

7 hours ago, JRC said:

I don't remember him for us. Wasn't he just cover for Gerry Keenan? He was solid enough at Crewe for two or three seasons after he left us.

They finished bottom or in the re-election spots every year he played though didn`t they? Not unusual for them it has to be said.

Advert

There are a lot of contenders for the crown in this category and we've had that many rights backs in recent seasons alone that it's nigh impossible to go back much more than ten years and remember them all with clarity. 

One or two names on here were more centre backs than full backs so I wouldn't judge them over harshly, playing out of position. And of course basing our judgments on not much more than a handful of games is very difficult.

As records go, the last couple of seasons takes some beating so we should perhaps, fairly, see a lot of names from then.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

There are a lot of contenders for the crown in this category and we've had that many rights backs in recent seasons alone that it's nigh impossible to go back much more than ten years and remember them all with clarity. 

One or two names on here were more centre backs than full backs so I wouldn't judge them over harshly, playing out of position. And of course basing our judgments on not much more than a handful of games is very difficult.

As records go, the last couple of seasons takes some beating so we should perhaps, fairly, see a lot of names from then.

Jermaine Holwyn was one such centre back, if memory serves me correct. No one can forget his contribution to allowing a four goal lead slip at home to QPR, so I was saving my vote for him the centre back category. That draw still haunts me - I always think of it as a defeat!

15 minutes ago, Santa said:

I feel that Justin Miller deserves a mention, signed on a 2 for 1 deal from Orient with Shane Tudor. The same summer that Oldham did us a similar deal for Craig Rocastle and Paul ‘Heather’ Edwards. 

Have we ever had a more one-footed player than Paul Edwards?

I have forgotten many players from my 43 years watching Port Vale. I think in recent times Wilson was never fit and recovered from his injuries which diminished him. Stockley played a reasonable number of games and tried hard enough. But he just showed a complete lack of judgement and technique making alarming mistakes. I mean the point is not to let the right footed player come inside and shoot when that is obviously what they want to do. Yet he was uniquely untalented at letting that happen again and again by diving in or completely wrong stance / positioning. I can't forgive that; surely he should at least learn from experience.

2 hours ago, Santa said:

I feel that Justin Miller deserves a mention, signed on a 2 for 1 deal from Orient with Shane Tudor. The same summer that Oldham did us a similar deal for Craig Rocastle and Paul ‘Heather’ Edwards. 

I wholeheartedly agree with Justin Miller as the worst right back we've had since I've been watching the Vale. Lovely fella, just wasn't good enough (much like the rest of the squad). Didn't he also have a massive throw that was rarely showcased?

On 26/03/2020 at 00:08, Jacko51 said:

For some reason you always notice it more with left footed players, probably because most of us are right footed. Anthony Griffiths was a?equally one footed, if not more so.

2 hours ago, JRC said:

For some reason you always notice it more with left footed players, probably because most of us are right footed. 

That's a great point. I hadn't thought about it before.

Slightly off tangent (I confess) but nevertheless quite interesting for the old 'uns, I was reading a book about Jimmy Greaves, perhaps the greatest goalscorer in these islands that we'll ever see, and it was said that he had 4 outstanding qualities that explain his greatness: speed over 5-10 yards, composure, the knack of being in the right place at the right time/knowing where to run, and lastly - I'm getting there - he was two-footed. He could score with any foot just as easily. I think from memory they said he was left footed but I'm fairly sure he scored more with his right. But whatever it was, he was truly gifted and that was in large part down to his ability to use either foot.

On 25/03/2020 at 21:08, Jacko51 said:

Tom Conlon.

His left-foot is excellent, but I've never seen a player so insistent on doing everything with his stronger foot.

3 hours ago, TheSage said:

That's a great point. I hadn't thought about it before.

Slightly off tangent (I confess) but nevertheless quite interesting for the old 'uns, I was reading a book about Jimmy Greaves, perhaps the greatest goalscorer in these islands that we'll ever see, and it was said that he had 4 outstanding qualities that explain his greatness: speed over 5-10 yards, composure, the knack of being in the right place at the right time/knowing where to run, and lastly - I'm getting there - he was two-footed. He could score with any foot just as easily. I think from memory they said he was left footed but I'm fairly sure he scored more with his right. But whatever it was, he was truly gifted and that was in large part down to his ability to use either foot.

There are very few genuinely two footed players. Worrall isn't bad with his left but his delivery with his left is definitely more hit and miss. Taylor is the only other current player I can think of. Even someone like Clark cuts back onto his right to get a cross in.

Archived