onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst-Ever Vale XI - the right-back

robf

Same deal as the goalkeeper thread folks. Can you put forward some candidates for the "worst right-back" vote. Those mentioned the most in this thread will be "shortlisted" and it will be put to the vote...

For me, there are players from different eras which makes it difficult to compare. Lawrie Wilson for whatever reason (I suspected his legs had gone) was woeful and seems to be outpaced by any opposition player with ease. Looking further back there are the likes of Wayne Ebanks and Kevin Steggles - both of whom's performances only seemed to emphasise what good players the likes of Simon Mills and Alan Webb were. Steggles at least played a part in the epic Spurs cup run so for me it would be between Ebanks and Wilson. But let me know your candidates...

Advert

Without going back to the history books (OK internet searches) or programmes, the first name that sticks in the mind is Lawrie Wilson. Looked fine if had the ball in acres of space, but not in any other situation likely to be encountered in a football match. Perhaps premature ageing and past injuries affected him - physically or mentally.

Not sure he played enough to count as a proper "Vale player", and I've discounted players who tried but just weren't very good.

It has to be Wilson. For some unknown reason he just didn't fit in here and despite his pedigree looked very poor.

Jermaine Holwyn was also shocking but he was playing for us in the Championship and not when we were on the cusp of non league, like Wilson.

The problem at right back is they tend to get replaced pretty quickly if they sign and prove useless. The ones mentioned didn't really play more than a handful of games. Ebanks played well once at Crewe. 

The two big disappointments were Wilson and Justin Miller. Came with reputations and both were big disappointments. Miller for me; came in to add attacking dynamism as a replacement for George Abbey and Rhys Weston. Problem was he had no idea how to defend. Foyle went through a succession of solid if unspectacular right backs to finally land his man.

One or two on here(Mackintosh and Steggles eg.) were converted centre halves so it is a bit unfair to criticise them too much. 

Sam Stockley sticks out for me, he was too slow to cope on the big Vale pitch and received little support from the midfield in front of him under Sinnott if I recall correctly. 

58 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

One or two on here(Mackintosh and Steggles eg.) were converted centre halves so it is a bit unfair to criticise them too much. 

Sam Stockley sticks out for me, he was too slow to cope on the big Vale pitch and received little support from the midfield in front of him under Sinnott if I recall correctly. 

When he first came he was dreadful. Back end of that first season he did well. Played very well at the start of the Micky Adams era, keeping Yates out of the side, then retired due to an eye problem I think. If he was judged on his first 10 games he would certainly be in the running. 

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

He was part of that appalling Denis Butler team from the late 70’s.

Good heavens - I come out in a rash just thinking of that team.  I remember seeing Butler's team lose abysmally at Aldershot in the late 70s.  On the supporters coach on the way back someone started singing "If you've got faith in Butler clap your hands".  Total silence!

4 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

One for the kids, but Neil Wilkinson  has to be the worst right back I’ve seen in 55 years watching Vale. He made Kevin Steggles look like Johnny Haynes. 

He was part of that appalling Denis Butler team from the late 70’s.

Dreadful. Truly dreadful.

I don't remember him for us. Wasn't he just cover for Gerry Keenan? He was solid enough at Crewe for two or three seasons after he left us.

Archived