CB richard walker

CB callum howe

Rm Christopher mbamba 

Cm scott brown 

Cm neil McKenzie

Cf kevin gall

Cf calvin Andrew 

Lm richard eyre

Hold on, you're way ahead of us! We're only on the goalkeeper here - the other positions will come in later threads 😛

Definitely poor old Alan Boswell. Many last minute goals conceded as I recall plus many many fumbles. I’m sure he got booked one game by Clive Thomas before the game had even got started for marking out his area. Having run a newsagents in Shrewsbury after finishing, he sadly died in 2017. Even though he was a poor keeper, I’m sure that he is fondly remembered by most Vale fans.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, robf said:

I think he played a home game too. I think that was the spur for McGrath to pull arguably his greatest transfer coup off. He obviously though McAdam sadly wasn't cut out for it and when Siddall got injured he brought in Neville Southall on loan...

Southall today. Oops ! 

1367383F-E902-4A17-B419-9A804D8B0DB0.jpeg

Didn't Boswell get booked once before the game even kicked off?  For kicking up a mound RU style for his goal kicks?  He was a character alright. Sorry Pig, I am repeating the same story.

Edited by toyahw

I feel it's a bit harsh to have a keepers who were very young and/or thrown in at the deep end.

Pilkington was disappointing considering his pedigree from Man Utd, with Anyon there seemed to be a big gap between how good he was and how good he thought he was. Mehmet was just poor full stop. I'd be tempted to vote for him.

57 minutes ago, Santa said:

I feel it's a bit harsh to have a keepers who were very young and/or thrown in at the deep end.

Pilkington was disappointing considering his pedigree from Man Utd, with Anyon there seemed to be a big gap between how good he was and how good he thought he was. Mehmet was just poor full stop. I'd be tempted to vote for him.

Good point. I think the "fans" played a part in destroying Johnson and Boot with us.

I am going for Chris Martin. I remember his debut at Swindon and it still sends shivers down my spine. Also I would mention Paul Musslewhite. I think it is a sacrilege that he holds the record for number of games played for us as he was a real vampire as he hated crosses. I also recall the goal he conceded when he let Dean Saunders take a throw in off his back and score.

56 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

I remember jonny Brain having a few howlers back in the day. Blackpool springs to mind 

Was never a fan of Leo Fasan either , although majority of the team were dreadful that season.

The superman dive when richie wellens put ome over his head from what seemed like the end of the pier

2 hours ago, JohnJames said:

Alex Williams. Mainly because his back was so bad he couldn’t dive.

When he "dived" it was like watching a tree fall. Definitely my choice.

5 hours ago, rayzer said:

I also recall the goal he conceded when he let Dean Saunders take a throw in off his back and score.

That's not a fair comment - Dean Saunders was guilty of ungentlemanly conduct (I think that's the rule?) but a very weak ref didn't give the foul. Otherwise I'd agree with the rest - Mussy was a good shot-stopper and penalty-saver, but not comfortable with crosses. Interesting - that season we had 9(?) goalkeepers, one that got some stick - Kjelle Roos - is now Derby;s no, 1!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Boswell has to be the worst. Always used to wonder where on earth they got him from as I watched him fumble everything that came his way. You have to feel sorry for the back four though - a back pass was never, ever on!

And you could pick a back pass up in them days.....😂

• Like 1

That was ridiculous. I watched that back several times when it happened and I still couldn't get my head around it.

The ball took an age to trickle into the area and when it finally did, he put his hands to it, slipped and in doing so managed to shovel the ball over his own head to give Hughes a tap in.

Harsh on Alex Williams and Boswell played in a side robbed of promotion so I’d not choose them. I could never understand Rudgie’s love of Pilkington (Sir Alex’s first Bosnam loss?) but he was poor. As non regulars go, Reg Edwards, deputy for Boswell and of late, any of those from a couple of years back. 
Rob, how about last decade ?

9 hours ago, EricHamesis said:

When he "dived" it was like watching a tree fall. Definitely my choice.

I was thinking of posting on Alex Williams too as I thought he was a liability. It wasn't his fault, he was probably a good keeper when fit - it was the injuries which slowed him down, but I was surprised that JR stuck with him for so long to be honest.

7 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Rob, how about last decade ?

I'm going for all time worst (though to be fair, I think the keeper of 1905-6 season is a bit before all our time). The idea is to gain some thoughts then I'l put the leading contenders into a poll. It should pass the time while we sit at home. Once we've goalkeepers, we've got right-back (*coughs Lawrie Wilson*) to come...

• Haha 1

I’ve only seen vale keepers since late 80’s so can only pass judgement since then.

For me it’s a toss up between Fasan and Mehmet. I’d probably go for Mehmet. He was absolutely awful.

It’s often said that fans can do better than players but that is definitely true of Mehmet and Fasan. My 2 year old daughter could literally do no worse as I don’t recall them making a save. Even ones straight at them. My vote would be Mehmet.