onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst-Ever Port Vale XI - the goalkeeper

robf

56 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

I remember jonny Brain having a few howlers back in the day. Blackpool springs to mind 

Was never a fan of Leo Fasan either , although majority of the team were dreadful that season.

The superman dive when richie wellens put ome over his head from what seemed like the end of the pier

Advert

5 hours ago, rayzer said:

I also recall the goal he conceded when he let Dean Saunders take a throw in off his back and score.

That's not a fair comment - Dean Saunders was guilty of ungentlemanly conduct (I think that's the rule?) but a very weak ref didn't give the foul. Otherwise I'd agree with the rest - Mussy was a good shot-stopper and penalty-saver, but not comfortable with crosses. Interesting - that season we had 9(?) goalkeepers, one that got some stick - Kjelle Roos - is now Derby;s no, 1!

12 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Boswell has to be the worst. Always used to wonder where on earth they got him from as I watched him fumble everything that came his way. You have to feel sorry for the back four though - a back pass was never, ever on!

And you could pick a back pass up in them days.....😂

That was ridiculous. I watched that back several times when it happened and I still couldn't get my head around it.

The ball took an age to trickle into the area and when it finally did, he put his hands to it, slipped and in doing so managed to shovel the ball over his own head to give Hughes a tap in.

Harsh on Alex Williams and Boswell played in a side robbed of promotion so I’d not choose them. I could never understand Rudgie’s love of Pilkington (Sir Alex’s first Bosnam loss?) but he was poor. As non regulars go, Reg Edwards, deputy for Boswell and of late, any of those from a couple of years back. 
Rob, how about last decade ?

9 hours ago, EricHamesis said:

When he "dived" it was like watching a tree fall. Definitely my choice.

I was thinking of posting on Alex Williams too as I thought he was a liability. It wasn't his fault, he was probably a good keeper when fit - it was the injuries which slowed him down, but I was surprised that JR stuck with him for so long to be honest.

7 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Rob, how about last decade ?

I'm going for all time worst (though to be fair, I think the keeper of 1905-6 season is a bit before all our time). The idea is to gain some thoughts then I'l put the leading contenders into a poll. It should pass the time while we sit at home. Once we've goalkeepers, we've got right-back (*coughs Lawrie Wilson*) to come...

I’ve only seen vale keepers since late 80’s so can only pass judgement since then.

For me it’s a toss up between Fasan and Mehmet. I’d probably go for Mehmet. He was absolutely awful.

It’s often said that fans can do better than players but that is definitely true of Mehmet and Fasan. My 2 year old daughter could literally do no worse as I don’t recall them making a save. Even ones straight at them. My vote would be Mehmet.

2 hours ago, Santa said:

That was ridiculous. I watched that back several times when it happened and I still couldn't get my head around it.

The ball took an age to trickle into the area and when it finally did, he put his hands to it, slipped and in doing so managed to shovel the ball over his own head to give Hughes a tap in.

Funniest thing I ever saw in football. I nearly had a fight with some angry guy behind me in The Paddock because I couldn't stop laughing.

No, no, and thrice, no. I'm not having that, my friend.

Stuart was a brilliant keeper and talk was of him going to be a bigger club. Sadly he badly damaged his leg (I think it was at Wrexham one evening. I'm sure I was there but it's ages ago) and the rest is history.

I'm biased too because he was my PE teacher at St Peter's and went on to bigger and better things at Stoke College and then, I think, the Belfry. A lovely bloke.

He was second choice I think to Keith Ball.

That's probably why I was never a big fan......I liked Keith Ball and was disappointed when Stuart played. He went to the PE Dept at Cauldon College I think. I was there using the weights room as a young rugby player and he came in....I was a bit star struck as I was a Vale fan. Now you mention a leg injury I vaguely remember it.......

1 hour ago, ClntonBoulton said:

That's probably why I was never a big fan......I liked Keith Ball and was disappointed when Stuart played. He went to the PE Dept at Cauldon College I think. I was there using the weights room as a young rugby player and he came in....I was a bit star struck as I was a Vale fan. Now you mention a leg injury I vaguely remember it.......

As Sage says, Stuart badly broke his leg at Wrexham around ‘67/8 ish and never really recovered. 

Shame,  as he was a decent ‘keeper. 

Archived