onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst-Ever Port Vale XI - the goalkeeper

robf

36 minutes ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Bloke who used to stand around us on Railway Paddock called Boswell "Eve" and I never knew why until my Dad said there's an Opera singer called Eve Boswell....still makes me chuckle now!

Them were the days when abusing players was witty, rather than - abusive. Terry Bailey, get back to your ef… ing chickens, took me a while to work that one out.

Advert

3 hours ago, eh up nah said:

I've been a season ticket holder since 1991

Worst regular we've had in my opinion is Joe Anyon.  Feel bad saying it but, in my days going the vale, we've actually had good goalkeepers as rule apart from the 2017 fiasco.

Worst I've ever seen in a vale shirt was probably Leo Fasan

And we had some utter shockers that year

It's crazy how well some of those keepers from 2017 are doing....Roos has played a lot for Derby,  Fasan played a few times for Kilmarnock after us, Mehmet is in the Scottish Champ too, Evtimov was crap in his one game but has played a few games in league one since.

I was at the Enfield game when Cherry did his stuff but he only played a handfull of games and was only on loan wasn't he?  I also saw Sam Johnson at Leyton when he played like a bloke they'd picked up in the pub on the way to the game.  Of those who have played a decent number of games for us I have to go with Alan Boswell.  My better half came as close as he ever has to a heart attack during the first 20 minutes of a match at Shrewsbury when Boswell gave them a two goal lead with his efforts!

2 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

John Connaughton was for a short time for me when he let that one dribble through his legs v Walsall at home in a cup replay. I remember the utter 5 second silence when everybody must have thought....no, that can't have just happened!

I always liked Keith Ball but only being about 5ft 8 did not help him when the crosses came in.

Bloke who used to stand around us on Railway Paddock called Boswell "Eve" and I never knew why until my Dad said there's an Opera singer called Eve Boswell....still makes me chuckle now!

Boswell has to be the worst. Always used to wonder where on earth they got him from as I watched him fumble everything that came his way. You have to feel sorry for the back four though - a back pass was never, ever on!

1 hour ago, Andy Proctor said:

Gk mehmet

Rb calvin mcintosh

Lb scott tanser

CB richard walker

CB callum howe

Rm Christopher mbamba 

Cm scott brown 

Cm neil McKenzie

Cf kevin gall

Cf calvin Andrew 

Lm richard eyre

Hold on, you're way ahead of us! We're only on the goalkeeper here - the other positions will come in later threads 😛

Definitely poor old Alan Boswell. Many last minute goals conceded as I recall plus many many fumbles. I’m sure he got booked one game by Clive Thomas before the game had even got started for marking out his area. Having run a newsagents in Shrewsbury after finishing, he sadly died in 2017. Even though he was a poor keeper, I’m sure that he is fondly remembered by most Vale fans.

7 hours ago, robf said:

I think he played a home game too. I think that was the spur for McGrath to pull arguably his greatest transfer coup off. He obviously though McAdam sadly wasn't cut out for it and when Siddall got injured he brought in Neville Southall on loan...

Southall today. Oops ! 

1367383F-E902-4A17-B419-9A804D8B0DB0.jpeg

I feel it's a bit harsh to have a keepers who were very young and/or thrown in at the deep end.

Pilkington was disappointing considering his pedigree from Man Utd, with Anyon there seemed to be a big gap between how good he was and how good he thought he was. Mehmet was just poor full stop. I'd be tempted to vote for him.

57 minutes ago, Santa said:

I feel it's a bit harsh to have a keepers who were very young and/or thrown in at the deep end.

Pilkington was disappointing considering his pedigree from Man Utd, with Anyon there seemed to be a big gap between how good he was and how good he thought he was. Mehmet was just poor full stop. I'd be tempted to vote for him.

Good point. I think the "fans" played a part in destroying Johnson and Boot with us.

I am going for Chris Martin. I remember his debut at Swindon and it still sends shivers down my spine. Also I would mention Paul Musslewhite. I think it is a sacrilege that he holds the record for number of games played for us as he was a real vampire as he hated crosses. I also recall the goal he conceded when he let Dean Saunders take a throw in off his back and score.

Archived