onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Good news thread

robf

9 minutes ago, robf said:

Surely we need a dedicated OVF Match Thread on this game? We can have key incidents, fan reaction and MOM vote... 😉

Damn. if I thought I would have videod it. High stakes, pacing around in our dressing gowns. Analysing from all angles. 24 hour game. Fair result to be honest.

I'll do a stream of next week's rematch.

Advert

7 hours ago, geosname said:

I found that to beat a regular difficult opponent you have to make them change the way they play or think, the best way to do that is to get them to make themselves change the way they think about the way you are playing.

You play the opponent not the board.

Yeah, it is about psyching them out. Easier said than done. 

4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Chess is a game of knowledge and skill period.

It is, but deciding when you should sit back, when you should consolidate, when you should go for it. Looking your opponent in the eye to see how he/she feels it is going. Part of the game no? Look at Spassky/Fischer. No mind games?

20 hours ago, toyahw said:

It is, but deciding when you should sit back, when you should consolidate, when you should go for it. Looking your opponent in the eye to see how he/she feels it is going. Part of the game no? Look at Spassky/Fischer. No mind games?

Not for me, at the end of the day it comes down to who's the better player or who knows the opening/defense best unless a bad mistake is made.

A decent club player (Someone with an ECF grade of 150+) when playing a game which means something (as opposed to socially) will have a favorite opening if playing white and a favorite defense if playing black for which he will know the strengths and weaknesses and so what to watch out for.

The better a player is the more  he knows a particular opening/defense, the more moves he knows and how to counter the variations. It's said most chess games are lost during the opening as it's the time when most of the pieces are on the board and the game is at it's most complicated stage.

It was said of either Kasparov or Fischer that one of them knew all the variations for at least 30 moves when they played white and used their favorite openings, they tried to seek new variations so as to take their opponents out of their knowledge/comport zone.

Even at the level I played I used the King's Gambit when I played white because not many people knew it well, and hence how to counter it compared to say the Sicilian defense and I generally did well with it. However I  did get annihilated playing it a few times when my opponent knew it well or were better players than me.

9 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Not for me, at the end of the day it comes down to who's the better player or who knows the opening/defense best unless a bad mistake is made.

For sure it is a game of pure skill. But the "human element" is sussing how your opponent plays no? I'm a decent standard player, but depends a bit how much mental effort I can be bothered to put in, or not, how good I am in a given game.

Learning openings/defenses I've never bothered with. Feels like against the "spirit of the game". This can work two ways. Against someone who is well up on openings/defenses you can end up in a hopeless position after 10 moves. Because some bright spark in the past worked out that what you did was dumb.

On the other hand it sometimes works out that you have inadvertently thrown the rule book out of the window, and the standard openings person has to start thinking much earlier than they expected. In which case you are in the driving seat.

I struggle much more against computers than people, because of their encyclopedic knowledge of openings. Usually end up looking dire after 10 moves, but if I can hang in there.

Most important thing is enjoying the games I guess. I only took it up to avoid going out in the rain at lunchtime at school. It's nice to get back into it.

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

For sure it is a game of pure skill. But the "human element" is sussing how your opponent plays no? I'm a decent standard player, but depends a bit how much mental effort I can be bothered to put in, or not, how good I am in a given game.

Learning openings/defenses I've never bothered with. Feels like against the "spirit of the game". This can work two ways. Against someone who is well up on openings/defenses you can end up in a hopeless position after 10 moves. Because some bright spark in the past worked out that what you did was dumb.

On the other hand it sometimes works out that you have inadvertently thrown the rule book out of the window, and the standard openings person has to start thinking much earlier than they expected. In which case you are in the driving seat.

I struggle much more against computers than people, because of their encyclopedic knowledge of openings. Usually end up looking dire after 10 moves, but if I can hang in there.

Most important thing is enjoying the games I guess. I only took it up to avoid going out in the rain at lunchtime at school. It's nice to get back into it.

"Learning" the openings/defenses is/was the only way to improve as I saw it, logic and thought processes are overwhelmed and lose out to the complexity and myriad of variations in the opening, which is where most games are won and lost.  Most of the openings/defenses have been highly analysed but they go in and out of fashion.

At the highest levels (Which I was no where near) the best players do try and find a new variation/move to take their opponent out of their knowledge/comfort zone and gain a possible advantage.

I have stopped playing competitively but do pop on the internet and play now and again especially during the brutal winters here. It really is a fun and social game especially if your club is based in a pub or a Working Man's Club, after a few pints of Bass the more crazy the moves!!.

10 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I have stopped playing competitively but do pop on the internet and play now and again especially during the brutal winters here. It really is a fun and social game especially if your club is based in a pub or a Working Man's Club, after a few pints of Bass the more crazy the moves!!.

One of the few games where having a few doesn't help mate for me. Unlike darts, pool.  Fancy a game?  I know we do not agree. But happy enough to give it a go. 

4 hours ago, toyahw said:

One of the few games where having a few doesn't help mate for me. Unlike darts, pool.  Fancy a game?  I know we do not agree. But happy enough to give it a go. 

Yep I agree, only had a couple when playing socially and  could walk or get a lift back home.

Tried to get the mojo back a few times but didn't work, a former boss used to play postal chess and I couldn't understand that, do other stuff these days.

• 8 months later...

Archived